Applying for TA position?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mommyre, Aug 14, 2011.

1. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 14, 2011

I hold my master's in SPED and BA in Elementary. I can't seem to find a job. My MA program did not require a practicum so I feel that I do not have enough experience in SPED, and thought about applying for a TA position. I am however a single mom and need as much pay as possible and TA's just don't get paid much; they do make more than I do on unemployment though. So, if I apply for TA positions and get one of those how likely would it be that I would be pigeonholed as a TA? I want more experience, but don't wanna be stuck. Should I apply for a retail type job and volunteer on days off? What would be my best action now? I need to eat, but wanna work in a school and expand my knowledge. I am torn.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2011

I don't have a public school background.

But I say work in a school, in any capacity you're able to. You'll get valuable experience and make valuable contacts... and I suspect you won't be the only one doing so.

When the economy improves, you'll be able to apply (to that district and to others) with a much broader experience base than you have right now.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2011

Great advice, Alice!:)

5. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 14, 2011

Make sure being a TA counts toward your certification. I know that in NY I have 5 years to get 3 years of teaching in. Subbing counts, but being a TA here does not. I had to give up many interviews and job offers this year that would have led to more money & benefits, but would have caused me to lose a year of "teaching experience".

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2011

Oh, excellent point!!

7. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 14, 2011

I felt terrible passing up one of the jobs. It was in an excellent district and and would make use of my literacy certification in the literacy center. It seemed like more teaching experience than subbing, so I called the state to double check :/

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2011

I've had permanent certification since 1984, so I have to admit I have no idea of the current requirements.

9. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 14, 2011

I'm actually not even sure how subbing counts, but it does. You need 5 years to get 3 years of teaching in, and one of those years has to be mentored. As a permanent sub in my district, going on my 3rd year, I am not eligible to be mentored. If you don't get it in 5 years, you have to apply for a 2 year extension. I'm not sure what happens to those like me with 3 years of subbing experience but no mentoring.

10. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 14, 2011

In my state TA time can count toward teaching experience, but I think it is like 1/3 or 1/2 the time. So if I took a 1 year teaching assistant job it would count as 1/2 or 1/3 of a year.