Applying for position with certificate of eligibility

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mls08, Feb 20, 2017.

1. mls08

mls08 Rookie

Feb 20, 2017

I just received my Certificate of Eligibility and now need to land a teaching position for the fall. I am very nervous about this whole process because I have been out of the workforce since 2001 when my first child was born. Plus, I'm wondering why a school will choose to hire me versus someone that is already certified and experienced.
    Do any of you know how that works? Why they would choose to hire someone right out of school that only has their probationary certification versus someone already certified? I'm really hoping to land my foot in the door and get a position but I now that won't easy.
    Is there any place that I can view current interview questions so I can prepare? I have looked through the thread on this site titled Interview questions but many are from years ago.
    I appreciate any suggestions you can offer. Thank you. :)

3. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Feb 20, 2017

You never know who they will hire! I'm already certified (for 8 years with three years of experience) but lost out after two last round interviews to two girls who just graduated college. I'm not sure which state you are from but teaching jobs are hard to get. You might want to start off subbing and eventually you'll land a job in a district where you sub. Also, not sure if you have taken any trainings or classes since 2001, but that would be important to mention. As far as questions, basic questions are good to practice: Tell us about yourself., What is your behavior management plan? How do you differentiate instruction? What would you do if a student wasn't getting it after several attempts? How do you plan lessons? Take us through a lesson? How do you work as a team member? What are your strengths and weaknesses? What technology do you use in the classroom? How do you collect data?, etc. Good luck!

4. mls08

mls08 Rookie

Feb 21, 2017

Thank you for the tips. I am definitely nervous about how the interview process will go. I have only substituted a handful of times so I can't say I have experience in the classroom. Hopefully, they will realize that. My thoughts on who they decide to hire is based on my need of having a probationary certificate and then needing to have a mentor, etc. They may not want to go through all that and just hire someone certified and ready. But, like you said, you never know who they will hire.
    I'm in Texas so I'm not sure how the interview process goes but from what I've read on here, it looks like there are several interviews. Is that correct? I know each state is different so Texas may or may not have that process. Just curious how others work.

5. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Feb 21, 2017

Yeah most have 2-3 rounds of interviews. Usually, it's two rounds of interviews and the third round is a teaching demo. There are some districts that are just 2-3 rounds of interviews without a teaching demo...it honestly depends on the district.

6. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Feb 21, 2017

Hi Mls, I couldn't tell from your posts whether or not you were a recent college graduate or not. But, as a recent graduate myself I can tell you that from experience schools would be thrilled you are a recent graduate. You would bring many skills and strengths to the position such as your being up to date on the latest pedagogy, curriculums, Common Core, etc. Remember to highlight these strengths and positives of yours during the interview! When they ask you to tell them some of your strengths, name these and some others of yours. Also, are you certified? You should've had student teaching. If you're not certified, you won't be eligible to teach in a public school. But, depending on how long ago you've substituted you may be able to use that experience to find non public school positions.
    :)