Applying for MS Math positions

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by MSMath29, Apr 13, 2009.

1. MSMath29

MSMath29 Rookie

Apr 13, 2009

Hi guys,

Tomorrow is my last day of student teaching and I will be graduating with a MS degree in Elementary Ed in May. I will be certified K-6 and for middle school math 6-8. I noticed that several states require a diffrent praxis test to teach middle school math. In fact it seems out west they like to require the HS test for middle school which makes zero sense to me. My question is being certified by using the "easy" test will that put me at a disadvantage? Does the math teacher shortage apply to middle school or are they refering to HS only?

Currently I am in NJ but I am very open to getting out of the state. So far I have applied to jobs in state and in CO. I have been looking in the Carolinas as well but they require additional testing which is kind of discouraging. Should I list my NJ MS math certification or would they just not care since it wouldn't be honored in states with diffrent requirements?

The entire job search is kind of frustrating since it seems like just about every state requires something diffrent or uses a diffrent testing company, etc. I would love to teach middle school in CO but I will only be certified for elementary due to their testing requirements.

Are there any specific areas of the country that I should look into? I know about Arizona but I am not crazy about the high crime rates. I am willing to go where the jobs are but I also do not want to live in a high risk area either.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2009

Well, for starters, I'm not sure we want to characterize the crime rate of an entire state as being "high." Especially coming from the part of the country that you and I come from.

OK, now to the topic:
    K-6 is going to be brutally competitive, you know that already.

Middle school math may be a different matter. How serious have you been about applying? I mean, have you hit every single public, private, charter and religous school within an hour's commute? Don't discount any school at this point in the game; let them interview you and get a feel for the school and the admiinstration before you decide it's not a good fit.

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2009

I taught middle school math in Colorado earlier this year and I only had my elementary certification, but was highly qualified in math so I was able to teach it (I needed to move back to my home state for personal reasons, but it was a full-time job). Because I had enough credits in math I was fine. I found this very strange when they told me I would be qualified, because the certification requirements are so stringent in New York and no one would have dreamed of hiring me for a job without the proper certification.

5. MSMath29

MSMath29 Rookie

Apr 13, 2009

I have been applying to just about everywhere. The problem with NJ is that districts are cutting like crazy. I am worried once consolidation starts I will be left holding the bag even if I do get a job. Thats one of the main reasons I am looking to relocate.

I am in the NJ/DE/MD/PA area and I know I could get a job in DE but the whole state is pretty much anti public school. This year they took 10 percent of all state employees salaries to help off set the state's defecit. The job market in this area is so saturated with applicants that regardless of how many qualifications I hold its going to be an uphill battle to get hired.

I was told by a friend from out west to stay away from any state that shares a border with mexico due to the drug cartel issues that are going on.

My hit list so far is NJ, CO, NC, UT, and Oregon. I should point out that I do not graduate till may but I did land a long term sub job in 3rd grade for the remainder of the year. So I will have some experience but I don't think 2.5 months of long term subbing is going to do much.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2009

Again, lots and lots of generalizations going on there. Do you mean to say that the entire state of CA is off limits because it shares a border with Mexico???

7. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Apr 13, 2009

I have a lot of friends who live in that part of Mexico - Chihuahua and really, things are not as bad as people (the media) are making them sound. Everyone who went home to the Campos from Christmas managed to make it back to Canada alive.

8. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Apr 13, 2009

Why the heck would you stay away from San Diego because it shares a border with Mexico.. sure TJ in mexico (the other side of the fence) has a LOT of drug cartel problems.. but why is that bad for San Diego.. which has no drug cartel problems.

There are lots of math positions open in San Diego.

9. MSMath29

MSMath29 Rookie

Apr 14, 2009

That is true enough in regard to CA. I haven't really considered CA due to the high cost of living. I am not looking to get rich I know that won't happen teaching but I would like to atleast live comfortably. So far NC and CO seem the most attractive but getting a job outside of DPS in CO looks to be pretty competitive.

From what I have heard the drug cartel issues aren't restricted to Mexico it has been spilling over in TX and Arizona so that's why I am staying away from those states.

Another thing that is discouraging me from other states is the testing requirements I passed both Praxis I and II in my content areas in NJ. Some states however do not use the same praxis tests. Here in NJ there are 2 math praxis 2 tests. One for MS and one for HS. I just wish they would make all states have either the same testing requirements or institute universal reprocity (sp?)

10. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Jul 15, 2009

MSMath,

Are you still looking for jobs in middle school math in NJ? I'll start my search soon. Thus far, the pickings aside from high school math look slim. How are things going for you?