Applying for jobs

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Beth2004, Feb 23, 2006.

1. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 3, 2006

I just don't understand why they wouldn't even do a courtesy interview. I suppose they want someone with more experience, but I figured if they hired me for summer school, why not for a regular position. Although, the superintendent told me during my first interview that he likes to hire outside people for summer school.

2. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2006

I just got my first summer call from a public school.

I already have a job, so of course I declined, but that's good news for the rest of you: things may be starting to open up.

I'm math, and I would imagine they're looking at math and the other high needs areas first, but this has to be a good omen!!

3. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jul 3, 2006

Hey TexasAggie, Thanks for the luck! It went really well actually. Principal called back for the 3rd round and said "I didn't tell you this but..." and basically told me I have the job, the 3rd round is just a formality. So, I think that's good news but I'm trying not to get my hopes up! The 3rd round makes me a little nervous b/c I have to teach a small group guided reading to a few summer school kids and I've never really been in a 3rd grade classroom, but we'll see! Thank you :)

4. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 3, 2006

saraheco: You'll do fine with 3rd grade...just like 2nd. Have you done guided reading before?

5. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jul 3, 2006

Yes I have but it was actually in first grade! I did it where the students read round robin and I interjected w/questions to check for comprehension and make connections and other things like that.. and we'd always focus on the concept or skill of the week while reading the book. I'm concerned that 3rd grade is different and I know round robin reading is out now, so I don't know how to have them read to me!
    I wish I had observed in a 3rd grade classroom before to help ease my nerves and give me some confidence and something to think back on, but oh well... we'll see! :)

6. MissB

MissB Companion

Jul 3, 2006

It's hard not knowing the students. In third grade you would think they should be reading silently (I've never been in third grade though). But if you are going to have them read aloud-- you can have the students line up in their chairs, make a "train". Then each stduent reads in a whisper vioce and you are able to walk around them and listen to each one while they are reading. Have them start reading at different times.

Something to do for the silent readers is something with prediction-- give them sticky notes and have them write a prediction, then they read silently. When they get to the part of the book that confirms their prediction they mark it with their sticky note. When everyone is done reading the book (or chaper/passage), they share and read aloud the page that confirms their prediction. Then there could be some sort of follow up activity.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 3, 2006

You could also give them story maps to complete or another graphic organizer. You could ask them to write down 3 things they learned, 3 events in the story, a mini book report, write about their favorite part, change the ending to the story, some questions to quiz another student....

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2006

Ok, I've been out of it a bit, why is round robin reading out now?:confused:

9. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jul 3, 2006

I don't have a clue.. it's not out in everywhere b/c my entire school did it last year, but somewhere on some website (maybe ms. powell or mandy gregory) I read to not do round robin in the upper elementary levels, and maybe even on here. But I did not find anywhere what to do instead! I think maybe it has to do with students knowing when it'll be their turn to read. If they're not sitting right next to the current reader, they have awhile (maybe 4 other people) before they have to get involved so they don't follow along as well, or they read ahead or whatever.

10. MissB

MissB Companion

Jul 3, 2006

They say that students who are working on fluency should read aloud and the amount of reading that that round robin allows isn't enough. Students who are older and who are fluent readers should be reading silently, thus round robin reading aloud is not necessary and won't increase fluency.

Reading aloud in guided reading groups is so that the teacher can hear the student and provide feeback.

11. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 3, 2006

Not to mention the sheer terror that struggling readers go through when the teacher randomly calls on people. It is a very psychological issue for many students, and I know some adults who still are unsure of themselves in public situations. Think about being called on randomly to answer math or science questions--if it is not your strength (and reading is tough!!), it can be devastating to "fail" again and again. I had a whole text book in my Literacy course covering this subject!

12. MissB

MissB Companion

Jul 3, 2006

Mmmm, that is so true!! In addition, many times students are so worried about their turn, they aren't listening to the other students read. They may be reading forward their own passage, for fear of messing up when their turn comes.

13. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jul 3, 2006

So, as a potential 3rd grade teacher, how should my students read aloud when they meet with me for guided reading? In what format?

14. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 3, 2006

Well, since your reading groups will be kids at the same level, it is more acceptable to allow them to read aloud, one at a time (I teach Kinder--most kids volunteer no matter what!). On the other hand, I've also seen some groups run by having students in the "teacher group" read quietly (teach whisper voices) and simultaneously, page by page. It may sound confusing, but you can still focus on one student at a time as needed, and you will easily see what problems they are facing. In this way, students are not intimidated about standing out in a bad way. They also learn from one another by watching successful strategies and listening to prompts.

15. MissB

MissB Companion

Jul 3, 2006

I don't teach third grade so I'm not exactly qualified to answer this, but I would think that most of your students should be reading silently.

What you could do at the beginning of the year listen to them read-- then you can tell quickly who is have trouble decoding-- and who might be reading word for word. The fluent readers can read silently-- the struggling readers might need to be reading aloud some (but not all) of the time in reading group (but not other times). You might read the passage first to model how it should sound, then the students read, and re-read it. The main reason students read aloud is to allow the teacher to listen and offer feedback. Though young beginning readers will read out loud to help them sound out words etc....

This is a typical way to use guided reading groups (called DRTA- directed reading-thinking activity):
    1. Prep for reading; introduce topic; help students relate to previous experiences. Introduce new vocabulary (only if comprehension will suffer when they get to the word); have students generate predictions; have a discussion-- "has this ever happened to you? how did you feel? what do you think....?"
    2. silent read (even students who aren't yet fluent)
    3. Follow-up; discussion, compare predictions, summarize, interpret, possible extension activities (read other books by the same author and compare/contrast, or read other books of the same theme...

16. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 3, 2006

saraheco: you should check out guided reading by Fountas & Pinnell. They are the original authors of guided reading. I just bought their book because I'm working on my reading cert. and am going to start guided reading with my students. Some people think they are doing guided reading when they actually aren't. This is a great book with lots of great ideas. Since guided reading is done by levels, have they told you their levels? One suggestion is to print out leveled readers on reading atoz (most are free) if you choose a level that is on 2nd grade, you can almost assume that most will be able to read. Check and see what you can find out about the students before you go.

When is your 3rd interview?

17. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 3, 2006

the idea posted directly above my last post is a really good suggestion.

18. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jul 4, 2006

Thank you for the wonderful ideas! I do not know the levels. I just asked "will they be students entering 3rd grade?" and he said, yes. They are going to be students that are in the summer school program.
    My 3rd interview will be sometime next week. The principal called me from his cell last Friday evening on his way out of town, and will not return until next week. He was hoping I would be able to do it on Monday (yesterday) w/another principal just to get it out of the way but I was also going to be out of town moving my things from Florida to Ohio. So the plan is that he is going to call me towards the end of this week when he gets a better idea of when he can round some students up to set something up for next week.

19. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 4, 2006

Good Luck Sara! I'm sure you will be great.

20. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jul 5, 2006

Hello everyone I just wanted to say thank you to all of you for your wonderful support and advice, even though I don't post much, I do read through the posts religiously as I too was an avid job seeker, I say "was" because... I WAS JUST OFFERED A KINDERGARTEN POSITION TODAY! yay! I am so happy! Thanks everyone and the best of luck to you all... I didn't get my first choice school, but as a new teacher, I am happy I got an offer at all.

21. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2006

Great news Sofiluv!:D

22. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 5, 2006

Congrats!!!

23. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 5, 2006

Congratulations!

24. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 5, 2006

I am happy for you!!

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2006

That's GREAT!!!

26. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 5, 2006

Great news! Congrats!

27. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 5, 2006

Woo-hoo! KINDERGARTEN RULES!!! I'm happy for you...and obviously, I absolutely love Kindergarten, and I hope you will too!

28. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 5, 2006

Congrats...and for those who are looking for a job please don't give up....I will be in your shoes soon and I will come back to these post to read how people first started out on their quest for a job but they never gave up and got a job. These posts are going to be an encouragement to me.

Take care

29. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 5, 2006

Congrats! I'm sending positive thoughts to everyone still interviewing and looking.

30. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 5, 2006

That is terrific news, Congrats!!! :D

31. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 6, 2006

OH congratulations, Sofi!!!! I am very happy for you!!:)

32. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 6, 2006

YAY!!! Congrats on your new job!!

33. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jul 6, 2006

Congradulations! Terry G.

34. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 6, 2006

Kinder rocks, whoo hooo! Congrats. :D

35. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

Thanks for all your well wishes and congratulations... I don't even know where to begin planning! It's only a half day kinder so I will be sharing the room with another teacher that has been at the school for some time now, I'm a little scared about that, I don't want to step on her toes, though she did seem very nice during one of my interviews.

36. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 6, 2006

Sofiluv--that last concern you mentioned about sharing a room was my biggest worry too. I decided to go into it (my first year) as a "back seat driver." Not completely in charge of all decisions, but able to call out a need to turn or slow down! :-D Anyway, going into my second year now, I feel more in tune with what is negotiable, etc. My partner is a guy, and he didn't care much about decorating, so I got to do most of that planning. He was always good at helping out, especially the high-on-the-wall stuff! This year, I want more help in all that, though, and more say in what we display and what we send home!

So, don't step on any toes, but be prepared to speak up when asked, or if some really drastically ugly stuff happens! (I had to set up a cubbie especially for dumping my partner's stuff at the end of his class time. He is not good at all about picking up after himself, and most the time, it's in my way. That can be annoying!! You might need to be really patient if one of you is more of a "neatnik" than the other!)

37. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 7, 2006

:confused: Why did they hire two teachers to teach in the same classroom? I'm not knocking it - I'd jump at the chance!! I'm just curious why they didn't have one teacher doing both classes?

38. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 7, 2006

Well, here's my immediate response: because "half day" Kindergarten is a misnomer!! :-D It is less about the amount of time you're in the classroom than it is about the amount of prep work and one-on-one time you spend with students. There is no way you could teach 40 Kindergartners every day! There is not any "down time" or "sit at your desk time" in this grade. You are up and running 100% of the time. Team teaching gives a bit of relief--in our case, we "team" for about 1 1/2 hours a day, usually centers time; we also assist each other in assessments and district testing. All Kinder assessments (with a couple of exceptions, I guess) are done one-on-one, making it an excruciatingly lengthy and tedious process.

It is not a situation where one teacher "finishes" at 11:45 and another begins. It truly is an exhausting position in any school!

39. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 7, 2006

srh: What part of California are you in? I ask because I did my student teaching in Kindergarten and it was with LAUSD...ALL DAY Kinder! The school I was at the teachers had just switched from 1/2 day to all day and some loved it and others didn't. I have heard that eventually all schools in California will go to all-day, but I'm not so sure how realistic that is. I see benefits to both all-day and having a room partner.

40. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 7, 2006

I'm in the Central Valley. Actually, I would love to have a full-day session. We do not have enough time to get everything done...it always feels like we're rushing or skimming or skipping something! But that would be full-time with 20 students. Twenty files are plenty to maintain for that amount of busy-ness! :-D Some schools in our district have "extended day," where they have an extra hour. But depending on facilities (our site has three K classes, but only two K classrooms), that is not always possible. The only way we could ever go all day would be to drop one of our classes, and that just won't happen! So, we continue to share.... (How did you like Kinder?)