Applying for jobs

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Beth2004, Feb 23, 2006.

1. tamlyn

tamlyn Rookie

Jun 24, 2006

Miss B. and JamieMarie - It is so nice to chat with people from my neck of the woods!!! I'm located in the mid-coast area of Maine. I would love to stay in the school system that I have been employed with for over six years but there are no openings at the moment for an elementary educator (been in spec. ed. for a long time and am looking for reg. ed.) so I am trying to venture out from my comfort zone. We'll see what happens - again, many people ensure me that it is early yet?!?! Let's hope they are right! As far as getting past the secretary, I have been very fortunate to have dealt with extremely friendly people in all the districts I have visited (so far!!) I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both of you!!

2. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 24, 2006

Saraheco,
    Wilmington is a ways from me, but I think it is a nice, sort of rural, area. Good Luck!! What grade?

3. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jun 25, 2006

Missy,
    Yeah it's definitely rural and about 45 mins from me, but I'm just staying w/my parents for now so I can always move if it works out. It's for grade 3 so I'm a little nervous as I've no experience in 3rd. I've never even observed in 3rd before. But we'll see... I'm just ready to get it over with. I've known since Thursday so it's been the only thing on my mind and my nerves are everywhere.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 25, 2006

OH that means I have to only get one more interview to go. That would be nice. Good luck to you!

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 25, 2006

This Wednesday will be my 8th interview. Wouldn't it be nice if 8 was the magic number? :)

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 25, 2006

Isn't that funny the three of us all have been on seven interviews.

7. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 25, 2006

Eight interviews?? It'll take me 10 years to get 8 interviews if things keep going the way they are - haven't even gotten a phone call yet!! LOL
    Keep the faith everyone, good luck to you txmom!!! I better hear some screaming come Monday!!!

8. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jun 25, 2006

kidatheart you said exactly what I was thinking on the 10 years to get 8 interviews, at this rate it will take me 10 years to get 1 interview.

9. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jun 25, 2006

Teacherece,
    I think that is a great idea! I'm going to go buy some little folders today and print out my resume, references, and philosophy of ed. on resume paper, and put the resume/references on one side, and the philsophy of ed. on the other. Do you think I should get 5 of these and put the same things in each folder so that I can give one to each person doing the interviewing?

and Kidatheart, I know exactly what you mean! I've only gotten ONE phone call. I've got a looooong way to go to get to that number 8. But that's good news for some of you who are creeping up on your number 8 interview. :) Maybe it will finally be the one.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 25, 2006

Last year Kid I didn't get a phone call until the second to last week of August.

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 25, 2006

My first phone call last year was the first week of July and my second wasn't until the last week of August.

12. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jun 25, 2006

saraheco, that's what I did, I had one prepared for each person so that they all felt equally important. Another thing I did was to get a star cut out and on each one I wrote "Have a Bright Day." On each of the points on the star, I wrote my name, my phone number and my certifications so that they would remember me when everyone else left. Another idea is to get "apple" shaped post-it notes and write your name and phone number on them and put them on the outside. Anything to stand out from other people.

Another thing as well....The principal who hired me is new to the school...I did my ST there....she told the superintendent that she hired me because of my excitement and enthusiasm. I think I never shut up the whole time because I'm so excited to teach. Some other people who had already taught didn't show any enthusiasm and weren't hired.

Good luck to you and everyone who is searching...

13. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 25, 2006

So there is hope??!?! Hoorah!!!:)

14. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 25, 2006

Alice - thank you so much for the words of advise. One of my biggest fears is not knowing all the answers. Knowing that having ALL the answers is not the be all and end all of the decision making process is a great load off my shoulders!!

15. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 25, 2006

What is "looping?"

16. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 25, 2006

Looping is staying with the same students and moving up a grade with them.

17. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jun 26, 2006

Well the interview is over.. It went well but we'll see! I can't remember all of the questions. There were 20 but they were all pretty generic. The two that I had the most trouble with were "Do you tell your students that you like them?" (yes of course) "In what way?" I was not sure at ALL what they were looking for.. and in the same boat "Do you try to be friends with your students?" Again, I can't tell if this is something they would want out of a teacher, or maybe they don't think it's a good idea for teachers to get real close to their students...
    Anyway, thanks all for the encouraging words!

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 26, 2006

Hmmmmm those questions are really strange. The first one I would say I don't say directly that I like them. But I show all the students in the class that I care about them by teaching, and talking to the students when they have problems and so on.....
    The second one I would answer no I do not try to be friends with the students. I am the teacher not a friend.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2006

I think they were looking for the way you react to the unexpected. I'm pretty sure there's no right answer they were looking for.I bet they were just trying to throw you off balance to see how you would react.

20. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jun 26, 2006

Thank you both for your input! Alice, you're probably right... I did get a little caught off guard but I think I ended up with pretty much what Jamie said. By the time the other one came around I gave pretty much the same answer that I had in the first one. I was just concerned because they asked it in more than one question! They also asked "what kind of relationship do you think a student and a teacher should have?" So I'm sitting there thinking they've had some kind of problem like the Mary Kay teacher at their school because they seemed to focus on that area more than anything!

21. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 26, 2006

Sounds like it went well, saraheco!! When do you expect to hear anything?

22. adria

adria Comrade

Jun 26, 2006

Have you thought about going on the official INS website where you can get information about different types of visa and etc.

23. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jun 28, 2006

Ah sheesh, I just got a call for a 2nd interview for tomorrow. I am sick to my stomach all over again. I don't know what to expect for the 2nd interview at all... or what to wear! We'll see!

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2006

That's wonderful!!!!!!

25. wanateach

wanateach Companion

Jun 28, 2006

That is good Saraheco!! Way to go-just be yourself-show them your enthusiasm, warmth and positive attitude!! I have a second interview today-I have only one suit, so that is easy, just a different shell underneath!! Be confident and sweet!!! Lori

26. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jun 28, 2006

Thank you :)

Good luck today wanateach... let us know what you think when you get back!

27. Pecas

Pecas Companion

Jun 28, 2006

Ok, so it seems like it has been forever since I have posted. My husband got a new job in the Twin Cities, so we are moving this weekend. I have been really focusing on trying to coordinate that move, looking for apartments, etc. I haven't really had time to think about jobs.

I have continued to apply, though, and yesterday my old supervising teacher from student teaching called me and told me that both the principal and assistant principal at her school asked about me. (I got married, so they were double checking the name change) she told me she was so excited, really talked me up, and said she was really confident they were going to call me for an interview for the 4 2nd grade positions the have for next year. I am panicking because I have absolutely NO experience in 2nd grade, or anything in the lower than 3rd grade, really. Last night I was up until 1:30 because I couldn't sleep, and I was researching interview questions, 2nd grade curriculums, etc. This morning I woke up with the biggest pit in my stomach. I cannot even describe how awful I feel. I feel so unprepared and undereducated in this area, and I haven't even gotten a call for the interview yet! I am probably panicking over nothing, but I really don't want to disappoint my teacher. She has gone out of her way to recommend me for these positions, and a few others in the district as well, and I am terrified of letting her down.

Anyway, anyone have any advice for 2nd grade? What behavior plans seem to work well for you? How do you approach reading? Any other questions that I should really buff up on? Maybe that would make me feel less queasy.

28. Pecas

Pecas Companion

Jun 28, 2006

Ok, I have some experience with 2nd graders, in an after school and recreational setting. I am just unfamiliar with the whole 2nd grade classroom routines, etc.

29. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jun 28, 2006

Good luck with second interviews. I was forturnate when I was hired becuase I was subbing long term and student taught in the same school...the principal came in and watched me.

About 2nd interviews...I've had some very interesting ones. Know who Fountas & Pinnell are (Guided Reading). One school asked me who Tomlinson was (author of Differentiated instruction books). Find out what the curriculum is and make sure you are familiar with their reading and math programs. Have answers to questions about how you will handle classroom management and behavior, why you want to teach, etc.

Best of luck to all of you.

30. srh

srh Devotee

Jun 28, 2006

Pecas--keep in mind that if you're familiar with third grade, you're one up on many other people!! Just focus on what third graders know when they come in to the grade at the beginning of the year, and that is where end-of-year second graders are! I think about stuff like this all the time too (I teach Kinder), and have realized how much the skills roll into the next grade level quite naturally. There really is some "rhyme and reason" to it all! :-D And also keep in mind that if you're called for a second interview, you were impressive in the first. Consider it a compliment--they want to hear more, and do not intend to "trip you up." They just want to get to know you. Speak from the heart--nothing you could "cram for" would be better or more sincere.

Teacherece--Tomlinson's book was one of my favorite texts in teacher ed. She became the first chancellor at our new University of California--Merced, although she retired this year, after their first year. A great lady, awesome author, and that book is something I still refer to often!

31. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jun 28, 2006

Wow Teacherec.. Thanks for the heads up! I wouldn't have been able to answer either of those questions...

32. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jun 28, 2006

that 2nd interview that I went to was really bizzare (where they asked me about Tomlinson). I had a friend who went as well and we both left thinking we had never learned anything over the last few years. I don't know what that district is looking for but I think I wouldn't have wanted to work there anyway. No diversity...whatsoever and every child scores above average on all state tests...Boring....

I'm happy that I was hired where I know I am needed by the children and that I can offer them alot.

For your 2nd interview....focus on differentiated learning and individual differences. If you taught before, you should have no problem.

Look up interview questions on the internet or on this site. I tried to make sure I had answers for any question that may come along.
    I'm sure you'll do fine....best of luck...remember to be yourself.

33. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jun 29, 2006

Thanks everyone for your help and encouragement help. :) the 2nd interview went really well again, now the third round (I can't believe there is a 3rd round) is a lesson plan for a group of students they will bring in from the summer school program. I am seriously so exhausted from all of this getting worked up, interviewing, getting worked up and interviewing some more (all for this one position)... if I don't end up getting the job I am going to be so much more devastated than I would've if they cut me from the first round.

34. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jun 29, 2006

Saraheco: I'm currently waiting on a response from a lesson that I did following two interviews just like you. I've been waiting since last week wed., and they still haven't called! They said they'd call by the end of this week, at least that only gives me today and tomorrow to wait! :)

35. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jun 29, 2006

Oh well I sure hope you get the offer :) you made it that far so they must've liked you!
    I just can't believe going through that long of a process and not getting the job. It is one thing to get turned down after an interview, but to go through all of that and then not get the job would be a huge let down! Especially because it got narrowed down so much to just a few people so we're sooooo close! :) And in my case, I've been at this since early March and this is the FIRST and only school to call me, and it's nearly July. I am going to get my hopes up bigtime for this one if it falls through since I've had no other bites.

36. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 29, 2006

teacherece:

What area in NJ do you teach?

37. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 29, 2006

Here's one for you all to ponder...I am teaching summer school and I found out that there is a 4th grade opening in the district. I'm teaching 3rd grade summer school and I let the superintendent who hired me know that I was interested in the 4th grade position. I even emailed my resume to the principal of the school where the position is at. I just called the secretary today of that school and she said that they held interviews on Tuesday. I started teaching summer school on Monday, so it looks like they won't be interviewing me. I just don't understand why. THe only thing I can think of is that they want someone with more experience. I student taught in a good district in 4th grade. It's sad.

38. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 29, 2006

I had the same thing happen with me where I worked as a sub. I was a long term substitute in a building from Nov-May and wasn't interviewed for two openings that they had in the grade I was subbing in.

39. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2006

Last year I interview 4 times and got nothing. Every time I interviewed, the principal would say, "I want you to know that just getting an interview is a high honor."
    I thought, "Yeah, you say that to everyone."
    Then I talked with a friend who interviewed for a 5th grade position way out in a little rural district and there were 50 applicants for one position. This town was about an hour away from the nearest metropolis and yet 50 people applied!!!!

You really have to get on the good side of just one principal who can spread the word that you're a good candidate. They really do rely on each other to find fresh meat.

40. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Jul 2, 2006

saraheco,

I think they gave you the same questions that I got in one of my interviews. A lot of companies put out interview questions for teachers and some of them are quite silly.

Good luck on the second interview!

terptoteacher,

Yep, my mom is usually the person that the Principal brings in to help with interviews and she has said on more than one occassion a candidate looks perfect on paper but because of some mistakes that they had made at a previous district the Principal would not hire them. Some of the mistakes I remember, is one girl was student teaching in a neighboring school district and was late and called in sick a bunch of times...those type of things get around.