Applying for jobs

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Beth2004, Feb 23, 2006.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 3, 2006

Is your a week long training MissR? I can't believe they are actually paying for me to go even though he knows I have over 80 applications out there. The training is around 650 dollars a person. But maybe our school is getting a discount because we are hosting it?

Have you read any of the books? They are really interesting.

2. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jun 10, 2006

Way to Go Coach!! Congrats!
    Best wishes and all that jazz.
    munchkin

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 10, 2006

Well I thought for sure the school I work at would ask me to interview next Friday yesterday. I didn't hear anything. Wonder when they plan on calling people.

4. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jun 10, 2006

That is frustrating to wait, isn't it JaimeMarie? Wish school systems were as eager as we are!

5. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jun 10, 2006

Hello, everyone!

I haven't posted in awhile because I've been student teaching. I just accepted a job at the same school for 2nd grade for Sept.

Anyway.....about interviews and resumes....I've discovered a few things:

1. If you go to an interview and don't hear anything...assume they are not interested, especially if they tell you they are choosing someone very soon. I think it is standard practice to not even send out letters, even for 2nd interviews.

2. Be as enthusiastic as you can in the interviews. I'm a non-stop talker anyway so I had no problem. So many qualified people didn't get the job because they were too quiet. I've never heard of a quiet teacher. SHOW THAT ENTHUSIASM.

3. A few friends have gotten interviews because they keep sending their resume's out to schools that they are really interested in. What happens is the resumes pile up and if there's too many, they only look at the first 10 or so for hiring. The theory here is that if you keep sending your resume, you're always near the top of the pile. This advice came from someone that does the hiring for a school district. My friend chose 3 schools that she wants to interview with and kept sending her resume...she finally got called for an interview.

Good luck to everyone looking.

6. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 11, 2006

teacherece,
    Thanks so much for the great tips!

When sending duplicate resume packages, do you completely change your cover letter? Do you tell them you are resending your credentials?

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 11, 2006

I didn't get the job I wanted. Found out yesterday.

8. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jun 11, 2006

Oh Jaimemarie, I am so sorry it did not work out for you.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 11, 2006

OH well there is still the district I work for.

10. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 11, 2006

I'm so sorry you did not get the position. Keep your chin up - something great will happen for you!!

11. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jun 11, 2006

Job Search blues-Old Age

I am getting frantic. I have some 2 interviews lined up but I keep getting rejections and I have not heard from other school districts in the area.I have filled out 20 applications on edjoin. I am sure my age(52 years old) is hindering my chances of employment. I have a special education credential, an English credential and I am taking the Science CSET. I am also applying for subbing but I am afraid I will be subbing the rest of my life. I was going to apply for an aide position at a school district but my husband really raised a big stink about it and I received a subbing assignment the day of the aide test. I am going to apply for an aide position at another district. I have great experience ; I have worked teaching emotionally disturbed students for the past 4 years at non-public schools. I am really concerned about this. Today I am filling out an application for an agency that places teachers in private schools. I am wondering if I should apply to www.Teacher Jobs.com. Unfortunately they charge a $2,000 fee to the applicant. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

12. adria

adria Comrade

Jun 11, 2006

I am sorry to hear that , remain positive God will grant you what your heart desire.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2006

I say wait until after the SCience exam. That may help your chances-- will it enable you to teach HS science??

14. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Jun 11, 2006

Do not pay 2,000 dollars to teacherjobs.com. I was on that site when it was free for teachers and it is not a very good website.
    You would be better off spending that 2,000 dollars making yourself more employable.

15. srh

srh Devotee

Jun 11, 2006

teresaglass--don't fall into that trap (thinking negatively, focusing on one "downer")!! If you are qualified, your age will not be a negative factor. In fact, it will probably HELP you in some situations. I worried about that myself, but the prinicipal who hired me (just last spring, my first job) loved my life experience and lifelong persistance.

It is much more important to have all your ducks in a row--pass those tests, have good recommendations letters available, and be prepared for the interviews. It worked for me, and I am only a couple of years younger than you.

P.S. In my area of California, EdJoin is only a formality. It seems every district around here may LOOK at it, but you still have to make the trek into their offices. I did not feel EdJoin helped me at all; my hiring came about from a face-to-face contact, period.

16. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jun 11, 2006

I wouldn't focus on your age. I just finished school and I'm a new teacher. I just got a job and I'm 45. I do have P3 cert, Spec. ed and am working on my reading cert. I believe it's attitude. Focus on the fact that you won't be leaving for maternity, etc. Let schools' know what you have to offer. Good luck in your search.

17. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 11, 2006

teresaglass: Hang in there. I know it gets discouraging, but just as the other posts have said, remain positive and dont' let your age be a deterrant, instead let it be a plus because with it brings so much wonderful experience! :) The fact that you are special ed is also really great, since that is a critical need area right now. Hang in there and keep the faith.
    Nasimi77

18. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jun 12, 2006

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I am feeling a lot better. i hope we all get the jobs we want. Nasimi maybe you should try some of the parochial school on the Archdiocese of Los Angeles Website. They seem to have a lot of openings. You also might try Jewish Schools as well. They will hire non-Jewish teachers to teach general studies. Go on the Jewish Bureau of Education Los Angeles Website. Also try the Sinai Akiba Academy in West los Angles. They hire elelmentary teachers. Good luck. Terry g.

19. wanateach

wanateach Companion

Jun 12, 2006

teacherece-
    I would be real interested in talking to you!! I am 45 and have my spec ed cert and elementary-I have an interview next Tuesday in a district everyone said I could just go in and get hired, we just moved here, and I heard several people say that, but have you taught recently since you have had your credentials? I haven't taught for years, and I am so excited even to interview-it is my third one-and I only sent out 3 resume's/applications- I am so looking forward to "strutting my stuff" because I have had a lot of varied experience- How did it feel when you got your job, and how did the interview go, did you have a good feeling about it, and how long before you were offered the job? The teacher market is not very good around here, but they seem to like the fact that I am flexible and have experience. So I am keeping on-if not this position, I will sub for awhile. thanks to everyone-this is a great place to post.

20. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 12, 2006

Terry G: Thanks for the info. :) I was just noticing that San Diego offers an intern program for teachers with General Ed credentials to teach Special Ed. I may consider that, not sure. HOwever, I thought I'd mention it to you as well since you have your Spec. Ed credential already. I'm not so sure how close you are to SD or willing to relocate? Just a thought.
    Best of luck.
    N77

21. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jun 14, 2006

I have a question about sending out resumes: Is it a good idea to send a copy of one of your letters of recommendation along with your resume to help you stand out a little? What do you all think?

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 14, 2006

Every job I have applied to asks for three letters of recommendation. So I alway send those in my packet of information.
    My packet usually includes letter of intent, Resume, application, copy of cert, copy of transcripts (if they ask for them), and three letters of recommendation.

23. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jun 14, 2006

I have sent out packets too all with pretty much the same information you describe, however, I was referring to sending a letter or letters along with a resume to schools that are only asking you to send a resume.

24. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Jun 14, 2006

I do the same as JM but I also include my philosophy of education and my last student teaching evaluation.

25. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 14, 2006

Possible Job Op @ Christian School

I just got off the phone with a principal of a Christian Private School. My brother-in-law teaches band there, and has taught @ this school for 8 yrs. He loves it. Anyhow, he told me they have some teaching positions opening up for the coming school year. The one thing keeping me back is the pay. At a public school, with my credential here in California, I could start @ around 43K. However, at this school the pay I think is around 26K. Big difference. However, the environment sounds really wonderful. I have been subbing with LAUSD for 5 years, and I even taught under an emergency for 2 years. So, that's 7 yrs experience with a huge public school system. I will admit I have been feeling extremely frustrated lately with the politics and everything involved with a public school. Now, I realize private schools have their own problems, but I see how happy my bro-in-law is and it's really making me re-consider a lot of things. Most importantly, the job front for us General Subject Credentialed Teachers is really tough right now. If this principal offered me a job I feel I would be foolish to not take it. I would also have to get my ACSI certification (Associate of Christian Schools International) and I would be able to teach Bible, which personally for me would be wonderful. So, I'm at a crossroads, re-thinking many things. The principal sounded really interested in me, and wants to meet with me tomorrow. There is one job I interviewed for with LAUSD that I would also like, but it's so hard to know wether or not that will even pan out. If this principal offers me a job right away, I realize I have to be really careful here because my bro-in-law works @ the school. Should I tell her I am waiting on another job? :confused: How should I go about this if it arises? Also, if anyone else out there has any comparisons between teaching in public vs. specifically christian schools, feel free to let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, and good luck to all on the job hunt.

Nasimi77

26. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 14, 2006

Oh I have never had that happen before. I don't know what to tell you. If they only want a resume I don't think I would send more.
    Until they asked for it.

27. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2006

I am struggling with a similar situation, although I haven't been offered a posiition, I have a good feeling about obtaining one in a private school. The pay issue is huge;however, I'm thinking the experience will be worth more in the long run. I have to start somewehre.... it will be a little tight financially, but I think it will work out.

28. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 14, 2006

MissFrizzle: Well, I keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Money is a big issue, but so is my sanity. I am really struggling as a sub, and a full-time job even as a private school teacher would be a major step up for me right now. The principal I talked to today was impressed with my previous years of experience, and said that would also boost my starting salary. Best of luck to you, and keep me posted! :)

Nasimi77

29. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2006

thanks Nasimi- and good luck to you. I am already thinking of ways to cut back on expenses if I do get offered a job. I'd much rather have a year of good experience in a nice environment w/ less pay.

30. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 14, 2006

Sending all the packets can be expensive, adding the transcripts at $6 a pop?!?!?
    I was not sending my letters, but maybe I should start doing that. Also, I was not filling out the applications for each district. I really, really wish there was a standardized application for the state - then you could fill it out once and just send copies to every district.

31. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 14, 2006

MissFrizzle: Something I've learned in my "old" age ;-) is happines and joy has no price tag. I too am already thinking of ways to cut back. $ Truth is we live our lives with a lot of frills that we probably don't need. Remember too, nothing is forever. You can always go back to public, if you so desire. As you say, the experience in the meantime will be so valuable. :)
    Nasimi77

32. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 14, 2006

Ms. Frizzle and N77, what a tough decision to make. The low pay is tough, but if you subbed for 180 days at $80 a day, you'd be making >15000 a year anyway.

That said, I cannot believe that people expect teachers to do everything they do on less than $30000 a year. Then again, maybe the cost of living in a particular area warrants that??

33. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2006

I wouldn't offer any thing more than a resume at first. I want to give them something to look forward to

34. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 14, 2006

Well, I live here in Southern California, and anything under 35K for a teacher seems more like volunteer work. The average cost of a home is over half a million dollars now. I am just doing a lot of thinking and praying on the whole thing. The ideal would be to land a job that I truly love and also has a respectable salary. However, I have to accept that may take longer than I had originally hoped. I have not given up on the public schools I have applied to yet. I just wish I'd hear from the 2 I went on soon, or at least get some calls for more interviews. This whole waiting process is what drives me bonkers. :cool: Still, I have to be positive and know that I have a job somewhere out there waiting for me that is the right fit....we all do. :love:

N77

35. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

Jun 14, 2006

Nasimi, did you apply with LAUSD already, or are you steering clear of them? If you have, have heard back from them yet? The reason I ask is that I have applied to a few schools within LAUSD and haven't heard back from any of them yet, when I followed up, they said they would not be interviewing until after school was out, I was wondering if this was accross the board.

36. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 14, 2006

I have applied to several schools w/LAUSD, but have not heard anything. Their enrollment numbers are low so they are doing a lot of re-shuffling right now. I interviewed for a traveling visual arts job w/the art ed guy a week ago and he said I'd probably hear something in July. Overall, I would say that yes until school gets out things are going to be a bit quiet. I am hopeful things pick up between now and next month.
    Good luck.
    N77

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2006

For what it's worth, all of my 20 years in the classroom have been in Catholic schools. I've loved (almost) every minute of it.

I realize that not all are the same, and not everyone has shared my experiences. But I'm all in favor of giving tPrivate/Parochial schools a shot-- they can be wonderful places to work!!!

38. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 15, 2006

Sorry I meant I send copies of my transcripts.

39. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jun 15, 2006

By all means take the job at the private school. You will have some expereince that will count more than subbing and if it is a good environment it is worth the cut in slary. I taught special ed about 5 years ago at a middle school in LAUSD. The salary was great but the teachers were under constant pressure to improve test scores and grades because it was a low performing school. I was threatened with unsatisfactory evaluations when I was there the whole year and I was often reprimanded in front of my students. They did not rehire me back and I spent 4 years working in non-public schools where the administration was a little more fair. If you can work in a nice supportive environment it is well worth the pay cut. Some LAUSD schools are great but it would be better to work in an environment that is supportive to teachers.

40. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 15, 2006

I can't copy mine - there is a watermark throughout, and if it is photocopied, you cannot read it because of the watermark. I know it is a security feature, but it really makes things difficult!