Applying for jobs

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Beth2004, Feb 23, 2006.

1. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 30, 2006

I agree with you Aliceacc, I think those phones are going to finally start ringing. :) (I hope too!)
    N77

2. sofiluv

sofiluv Rookie

May 30, 2006

FOr those of you that got a reply already from the school districts, how long was it between the time you sent out the application to the time you got a response? I haven't yet heard anything from anyone!

3. adria

adria Comrade

May 30, 2006

It took about one week to two weeks but if you want to you can send a letter stating that you submitted your application and resume (it's like a follow up letter). I do hope all goes well.....in my opinion, I think principals are comfortable, next month and July you will be getting calls like crazy.

Take care

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

May 30, 2006

I agree that principals are probably comfortable right now. The pressure isn't really on for them yet, but when they realize they've only got a month or so until school starts they'll start to panic! haha

The amount of time it takes for a response varies, though. When I got hired as a long-term sub I didn't get a call for an interview until a month after I applied. Other places start calling people right after the deadline for applications passes. If you aren't granted an interview,though, you most likely won't hear anything from them.

5. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 30, 2006

I have a friend who's an academic counselor, and she said most human resources departments move rather slowly at the beginning of the "hiring season". Of course, this isn't meant to be a blanket statement, since some districts are up and coming and have more of a need than some of the more condensed areas near the city where competition seems more fierce. :rolleyes: I'm beginning to relax a bit and try and enjoy my summer as best as I can. I agree too, that right now Principal's are comfortable, and still uncertain to their staffing needs. There's always a last minute situation that can come up as well, like someone deciding to not come back, or move out of state, or whatever. I am on my way to an interview with a district for subbing. I already sub, but this district has a really good reputation and I'd love to at least get my foot in the door. I fiugre it can't hurt! :)

Nasimi77

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 30, 2006

I applied the the first week of March and didn't hear anything from district until two weeks ago today. I had an interview last week. The weird thing is it was the first place I had applied to.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 30, 2006

I found out today that the place I applied to had only 5 people they interviewed (at least that is the rumor going around). There are five positions. Isn't that kind of strange?

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 30, 2006

I'm pretty sure they sit on the applications until they're ready to look at them. Sometimes it's a matter of waiting for the application deadline to pass, or the budget, or their own internal schedule involving teachers signing contracts for next year. But applying in January won't get you hired any faster if they're not looking at applications until June.

That said, it's hard, since each district has its own internal timeline.

And, yes, JamieMarie, that is strange! Maybe some of those jobs are being filled internally by people changing schools or grade levels within the district?

9. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

May 30, 2006

I agree that is strange. They may also have had the five people that they wanted and the interview was just to make sure that you could do the job.

I still haven't heard about my interviews. I was hoping that they would call today but they did not.

10. kermy

kermy Companion

May 30, 2006

I have waited a week and wanted to know if I should call now about my status of my app.?

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 30, 2006

Call or send an email.

TA, praying you and I both get calls soon! I found out today that the school I work at doesn't even do interviews until after school is out. So that at least another 11 days. How stupid. (I have an application in for second grade)

12. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

May 30, 2006

I received an email today, addressed to over 100 people with this message:
    "Your application materials for a position with the ***** Township Schools have been received and will be carefully reviewed by the appropriate principal or supervisor. If you are not contacted for an interview, your materials will be retained for one year. Thank you for your interest in our school district."

Over 100 people for this one position... how am I ever going to get noticed! :)
    The funny thing is I can't remember what position I applied for anymore because I have sent out so many resumes!?!? LOL

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 30, 2006

Your supposes to keep a spread sheet! That is what I have to do to keep up. I should have made it bigger, so I could write the school next to the grade I applied for.

14. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

May 30, 2006

JM, that's a really great idea. I should have copies of all of my cover letters, emails and faxes. They are just not in one convenient location since I do some of them from my current non-teaching job and the others from home.
    Got to get organized!

15. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

May 30, 2006

Thanks, I am also keeping you in my prayers. I am trying to keep my head up but the longer this takes the worse I think it is going to end up. That is great news about your school! Hopefully, you can pick up that second grade position.

16. Thespis

Thespis Rookie

May 30, 2006

Don't get too discouraged. It will happen.
    My wife and I have 12 years of experience and started this process in February. We wanted to move from east of Dallas to west of Fort Worth to be near family. We just got the word today that we have jobs in the same district for next year. She got a second grade in a great school and I got the tech theatre director job in a school that finished third in the state one act play competition this year. Be patient and believe. It WILL happen. I'm sending you all positive thoughts! Reading here has helped me stay sane for the last few weeks. I guess that anxiety, like misery loves company. :)

17. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

May 31, 2006

I am posting earlier than usual. It is not because of something I did but because some school had the nerve to call me at 7:30 in the morning and offer me a job

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I still have to go through HR but that should not be a problem. My wife is already running around the house calling me "Coach (last name)". It feels great to have an offer but it still doesn't seem real yet (since I havent signed the contract). I am going to Tennessee this week and then hopefully by the time I get back all will be ready to go!

I also want to thank this community for keeping us all together during this stressful time. Yall really helped me out and I appreciate it! I also wish the best to those who are still looking and will continue to help out when I can (minus Tennesse...do they even have internet up there?? j/k :sorry: )

18. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 31, 2006

Yeah!!! Congrats!!!

19. Thespis

Thespis Rookie

May 31, 2006

Let me be the first to say...

Told you so!
    :p

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 31, 2006

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so glad for you!! Which one is it??

21. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

May 31, 2006

Thanks all...actually it is my wife who is the one who said "I told you so" first :)

I was offered the 7th grade basketball/football coaching position . It was the school where the coach and I really clicked and then I thought I blew the interview with the Principal.

I also need advice how to handle a district that just called. They want me to interview with them on Friday for a 2nd interview. I really do not want this job and want to turn it down but I do not know how to handle the phone call. I want to be professional and nice without telling them which school I decided to take an offer with.

edit: I forgot to mention that it is a 7th grade Texas History position.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 31, 2006

If you've already accepted the other offer, that's what I think you should say. You don't need to specify. If they're professional at all, they'll thank you for your interest in their district and go on to the next resume.

So, I'm assuming a big night out for Mr & Mrs "Coach" tonight??? I would offer to babysit, but the cost of gas would be a killer!

Congrats again! No it's back to cleaning my daughters' room!!

23. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

May 31, 2006

That is my problem. I have not "accepted" this position yet because the job has not been finalized. I still have to get past HR. This other job is a job that I may need if this job doesnt go past HR.
    However, when does a job not get past HR when you a.) don't lie on your resume b.) Don't do drugs c.) Havent had any problems with the law?

...not very often. Pretty much, I do not want to burn any bridges while still keeping my options open.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 31, 2006

Well then, maybe you should go to the interview just as backup. As soon as you pass HR you can gracefully decline.

25. Thespis

Thespis Rookie

May 31, 2006

Principals make the decisions. All HR is going to do is verify your certification and do a CBC.
    The only time you'll ever have to do a drug test is if you're going to be driving kids around.

26. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

May 31, 2006

HR contacted me and it pretty much went like you said. I just have to get the okay from the school board on June 20th. Again, thank you all for all of your answers.
    Now, I just need to figure out how to tell the other schools thanks but no thanks without looking like a tool.

27. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 31, 2006

I'd wait just in case.

Then I would write a thank you letter to the other schools telling them that you are declining their offer for a position. Give them a little speil about their wonderful team of teachers and district.

28. Tri'nTeacher

Tri'nTeacher Rookie

May 31, 2006

Some nerve waking you up so early ;) !! Congratulations I am so excited for you and your wife beginning another chapter in your life! How much excitement can you have in a year....a new baby, new jobs.... :wow:

I get to go next week to sign all my preliminary paperwork for my job (how exciting). Thankfully I did all the tests (physical exam, tb, blood, fingerprint) when I started subbing for the district....so I am all clear. Although I am so thankful to have a full time job that I wouldn't mind doing all the tests over again....hey I would even promise them my first born...:eek:

Yeah....Coach TexasAggie! Sorry I had to give you a last cheer!:p

29. adria

adria Comrade

May 31, 2006

congrats..I am happy for you

30. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

May 31, 2006

Congrats, that is great news!!

31. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

May 31, 2006

WAY TO GO TexasAggie! I am so happy for you and your family. Can't wait to hear all about it COACH!:cool:

32. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

May 31, 2006

Congratulations!!! :D
    Wow! What a way to be awakened!!

33. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

May 31, 2006

Thanks guys, it still does not seem real. I keep thinking that they are going to call me back and say that they called the wrong person or something ha!
    I will do the letter thing to the schools. I applied to about 25 different school districts and they were all very welcome. It is amazing that schools get such a bad rap when most of the ones that I have been in have been great.

I probably won't post much again until Sunday. My wife and I are going to Tennessee for a wedding tomorrow and won't be back until late Saturday.

34. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

May 31, 2006

Congrats again - and safe trip!

35. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 2, 2006

Ok it's Friday and I am back to thinking I did not get the job that I want. I found out today they interviewed 9 people in total not 5. And five of them work for the school system already (me not being one of them). They aren't telling people who have a job and who doesn't until after the school budget is approved by the town on Monday night.
    So I am figuring if I don't hear anything by Wednesday next week I don't have the job. but on a side note my principal this year told me today I am doing a wonderful job and that he is sending me to the responsive classroom training this summer.

36. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jun 2, 2006

Good you are going to training this summer! Add it to your resume. A lot of the jobs here get posted then when I send my stuff, the principals email back saying they are taking internal transfers-when I taught 10 years ago, jobs were posted internally first, then if not filled, they were posted to outsiders. But if there are transfers then they have to fill the positions that are now open due to transfers. such a cycle. A lot of the jobs posted in this area are for half day, it is kind of odd.

37. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 2, 2006

Actually the five people that applied in house are all ed techs. So I don't want those positions lol.
    I think the responsive classroom is going to be a fun training!

38. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 2, 2006

shuffle... shuffle

It sounds like a lot of shuffling! As one teacher leaves, another leaves his/her post to take that position... then another position is open...
    I hope that some of those positions stay open for US!!:p

39. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jun 2, 2006

me too, me too!!

40. MissR

MissR Comrade

Jun 2, 2006

I am also going to a responsive classroom training for my new job. It sounds interesting... and definitely something you should put on your resume; I always wished I had a training or two to put on mine when I was searching.