Applying for Jobs Overseas

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by cnc, Jul 17, 2010.

1. cnc

cnc Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

I graduated with a degree in secondary education this past May, and have not had any luck in finding a full-time teaching job for the upcoming school year (my area is apparently one of the worst in the country for teaching jobs right now). As a result of this, I am considering teaching overseas in 2011. I am hoping to at least get a substituting job for this school year while continuing to work at my current job (not in the field of education) in order to save money and consider my options for teaching overseas. However, I want to start my research as soon as possible, so any advice regarding this would be much appreciated.

I have been looking around the DoDEA site, but all I can find about application deadlines is to "apply by early January." I understand that it is still early to be applying for the next school year, but when I should begin to work on the application? Also, where should I go to begin researching international schools? Are there any other websites for teaching overseas that would be beneficial to me?

Thanks so much in advance!

3. AhoyHoy

AhoyHoy Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

I don't have any tips, but I'll be keeping an eye on this, too.

4. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 17, 2010

I would look into the military websites. They always need teachers to go overseas and you would teach on a US base then (much safer). Good luck!

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2010

Here is a thread about a teacher here got a job in the middle east. Good luck!

6. cnc

cnc Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

Thanks so much! I looked at the military websites- to get a teaching job with any of the branches, I'd have to go through DoDEA anyway (Department of Defense Education Activity). I hear it's very competitive to get a job with DoDEA, but I will try my best.

I am pretty open when it comes to locations (though I do want to go to Europe the most). I just want to stay away from the more dangerous areas.

7. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Jul 18, 2010

I would start the DoD application whenever you can. It shouldn't make a difference whether you have the application completed sooner or later. Once it's submitted, they'll ask you to update it 1x per year. For the record I've had it on file for 4 years and never got a response.

As far as researching international schools. There was a previous thread about this. I think if you search my past posts, you would be able to find it.

You can try teachabroad.com although their postings may not be what you're looking for. Their positions are geared towards teaching English and not a full curriculum although you may able to find some. I would suggest to pinpoint a few specific cities that you're willing to teach in and search that way. Any search of "teaching jobs in Europe" will net you postings for teaching English.

8. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 18, 2010

http://www.searchassociates.com/main.html

I have three friends that did Search Associates. Two got jobs in Italy, one took a job in South Korea. The two in Italy loved it so much that they have stayed for two years, after initially only planning on doing it for one!

It seems like a really great program, but they weren't making much money. All of them did it for the experience of being in another country and traveling.

9. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Jul 18, 2010

Another thing to mention since you just got your degree in May. You're going to be limited working to private schools or a public school teaching Oral English. I don't think it's plausible to attain a public school teaching position in say Germany or Italy, etc teaching math. So you're limited to international schools. I know there are exceptions but to generalize, international schools are smaller and have wealthier students/parents. Since they are smaller, they don't have the desire/resources to support a 1st year teacher. They're willing to pay for higher qualified teachers. From a quick random web search, The American School in Switzerland requires 3 years teaching experience, and a school in Shanghai requires 2 years.

A classmate of mine found a job in Thailand and it required previous teaching experience as well which I believe was found through the organization UVAgirl provided a link to. After looking at that site, they prefer 2 years of teaching experience as well unless you're in a high demand field.

I had aspirations to teach for DoD as I was finishing my credential. That job never materialized so I settled on teaching English for a year overseas.

10. i-to-i

i-to-i New Member

Jul 19, 2010

Hi,

You don't necessarily need to go through the DoDEA to find TEFL jobs overseas. In fact you can just do a short TEFL course and apply for jobs independently throughout the world. If you want to go in 2011, that's plenty of time as schools worldwide hire all year round pretty much. For more information you might want to download a free copy of TEFL Uncovered: How to Teach Your Way Abroad with TEFL. I can't post a link here, but if you just google 'TEFL Uncovered' you'll find it :)

Good luck!

Good luck!

11. cnc

cnc Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

Thanks everybody for all of the information and links- you've all been a big help. I am certified in English secondary education, so I am willing to teach the English language instead of a typical American public school curriculum. I am considering taking a TEFL course- is it better to take a course here in the US or the country where I'll be teaching?

I know my chances of getting a job through DoDEA are very slim at this point, but I am still going to give it a shot.

12. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Jul 21, 2010

Make sure you explore all avenues if you want to get overseas because it is INCREDIBLY hard to get into DoDEA. I know lots of great teachers who have had applications in for years and have never got called. Most of these people are also married to husbands with Veteran status. I applied a year ago and it would be amazing if I ever got called but it's not something I think about too often. Experience and special ed/ELL certification are huge pluses when trying to work for DoDEA.

13. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Jul 25, 2010

This just depends on your $ situation. Obviously if you take it in the US around where you live, your costs will be less. By taking the course in Europe, IMO the quality isn't all that different and the course will cost more. But I believe taking the course in a whole new country will be significantly more exciting/fun.

Or you can skip the whole TEFL course and go teach. For certain countries as long as you got white skin, you're hired and I really mean that. no formal interview, application.

14. aThriftyTeacher

aThriftyTeacher Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

I work on a military post in the United States and know several ladies who've personally taught abroad with DoD schools. All of them are married to active duty service members and that helps a lot. I know they consider spouses first since they are already going to be stationed abroad, they won't have to pay to have someone move/live abroad. I also think that you have to have experience. My boyfriend is in the Air Force so it's something I've been looking into since we are moving next summer (just don't know where to) and I'm pretty sure DoD schools want at least 3 years of teaching experience. I might be wrong on that, but hope the heads up helps.

15. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Jul 25, 2010

I am going to be going to teach in Abu Dhabi next month. A few months ago I decided to teach abroad and now I am doing it. I originally wanted to go to Europe, but it is very difficult for us as Americans to get positions there because we do not have a European Union passport. Because of this, we do not have the 'right to work' there. They have to hire teachers from there first, before they can hire from outside. It is possible, but more challenging. If you start now for next year, you may be more likely to get a position. The recruiting season begins in September, I believe. Search Associates was highly recommended to me, but they charge a fee. I did look into using them, but found another option that worked just as well.
    I googled so many teaching abroad websites. I was signed up on teachingopportunitiesabroad.com from which I got an interview and offer from the Dominican Republic. I turned that position down.
    Teach Away is VERY popular, but they have limited locations. As I am getting ready to leave, I have been on facebook groups and many, many people used Teach Away during the Abu Dhabi recruiting process.
    I will say, if you are interested in going this year, they are still looking for teachers in Abu Dhabi. I can give you the name of my recruiter if you are interested. I know they have kindergarten positions available because those are the emails I get, but they may have older grades as well. You would leave at the end of August and the package is AMAZING. It will be challenging but I can't wait for the experience. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

16. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 25, 2010

If you are not a veteran or the spouse of an active duty military member, getting into DODEA is extremely difficult, especially for overseas positions. You would probably have better luck applying at all of the stateside DOD schools. There are cases where they need someone at the last minute, and will hire people without any veteran or spousal preference.

My cousin teaches overseas. He is in Taiwan now, I believe. Previously he taught in Myanmar. I am not sure how he went about getting these positions. I will touch base with him and see if I can get any information.