Applying for jobs a plane ride away

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by madderhatterme, Dec 6, 2010.

1. madderhatterme

madderhatterme Rookie

Dec 6, 2010

Hello! I will be entering my last semester as a graduate student in NH this January, and while I really like NH... I am ready for a change! My brother lives in the DC/Northern VA area, and I really have my heart set on moving down there to teach.
    Here is my question: HOW will I ever manage the application and interview process in a location that is a 2 hour flight from where I live? I understand that some schools can require up to 3-4 interviews and/or in-classroom observations. Do schools make allowances for out-of-staters, or am I simply full of wishful thinking?
    The other obstacle is that I am also employed, and so taking time off to fly down to VA has to be kept to a minimum.

If there are no exceptions made, I think these are my three options:
    1) Figure out some way to fly down multiple times to interview at various districts (over-extending both time and money!)
    2) Move there next year and find temporary employment as I prepare to apply for the 2012-2013 school year
    3) Give up and stay local

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 6, 2010

I think there are schools out there that are accommodating to out-of-staters, especially if they are interested in you. There are several posters here who have moved states away after getting a job. You will probably go through a phone interview, and if they are interested in you after that, likely they will set up a time for you to meet in person. Perhaps you can schedule several schools during a few days time.

4. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Dec 7, 2010

I was in the same boat as you. One instance I was applying to jobs 1 hour flight or 8 hour drive away. In another instance, I was in Central America. I was applying for jobs and was prepared to book a flight back home for interviews. I was just hoping the districts didn't want a next day interview which would allow me time to get back. In both instances I never mentioned I was out of town/country.

And in the end it wasn't a problem as none of them wanted to interview me. I'd just go ahead and apply and 'cross the bridge when you get there.'

Just thought of Las Vegas. They did a phone interview since many of their applicants are out of state.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 7, 2010

Offer to interview via Skype, perhaps?

6. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Dec 7, 2010

Skype is an excellent suggestion

7. CreativeMind

CreativeMind Rookie

Dec 7, 2010

I have been in your shoes. Here is my advice...

First of all research possible schools you are interested in working in. Most public schools in the area you are relocating to require you to register and complete all portions of paperwork via their websites first. Only when you have completed all required portions of this paperwork and meet the schools requirements can you actually apply for posted positions. I would suggest you try to have this completed no later than mid February as many of the larger school systems begin holding job fairs. If they are interested in you, you will be invited to one of their job fairs and an interview time slot will be assigned to you. If they see potential in you, you will move on to a second and even third interview the same day. You may even meet with several people at one time. Some systems will then call you in the near future to offer you a position, and some will ask you to come back for further interviews or to give a demonstration lesson. You can get around having to make a second trip by having a few prerecorded lessons you have taught during your student teaching and simply send it to them. You can also ask for a phone interview or conference call. You could even use skype.

Unfortunately there is no way around not having to make a trip at least once during the process. If possible try to schedule more than one interview for the time frame you will be there. This may be difficult to do.

Check out your University resources. Sometimes Universities have job fairs where schools from all over come to you. Even if your school doesn't have this check out some of the others within driving distance. You CAN register to attend them even if you are not a student.

Living in Maryland myself, I can tell you that it is not a good idea to make such a move without a secured position and salary. Living costs are quite high in the region your interested in, and if you plan to live outside of the metro area, be prepared for major traffic problems to and from work each day. Likely on a first year teachers salary, you will need to find a roommate situation as well.

What is your degree in and what are you certified to teach? You will also want to keep in mind that since you are coming from a different state you will need to get certifications in the state you plan to teach in. You will need to check the department of education website to see if you meet the requirements. Each state is different in this regard. If you get lucky it will just be a matter of transferring from one to the other, but if not, it may mean taking additional courses to meet requirements before a certification is granted. Most schools will allow you to begin teaching without the proper certs, but give you a window of time to get properly certified. Your pay will likely be a bit less until you acquire them and your contract will likely state that you are a temporary employee with permanent status being awarded once your certs are correct.

Don't panic. People do this all the time.( My husband is a government contractor and we have moved states 4x in the past 7 years and I have never had a problem landing a new position.) If you don't want to stay in NH then don't take a job there. Now is the time in your life when you aren't really tied down to anything yet.

Good LUck!

8. CreativeMind

CreativeMind Rookie

Dec 7, 2010

BTW... I would be leery accepting a job from a phone interview alone. In my opinion you don't want to work for just any school. I've always looked at it like you are interviewing them just as they are interviewing you. You want to know that the school is a good fit for you. Not to mention, since you are new to the area, you will want to drive around and check things out. Visit a few possible places to live. Get a feel for the community you will teaching and/or living in.

9. madderhatterme

madderhatterme Rookie

Dec 7, 2010

Happy to hear that phone and Skype interviews do happen - I interview very well on the phone! They can't see my legs shaking ;)

CreativeMind - I have been to DC, Richmond, and Northern Neck regions numerous times to visit my brother, and I am quite familiar with the areas. I also have my brother, and my sister-in-law (who was born and raised in Alexandria VA), as excellent resources for the "feel" of towns and counties. I would also never accept a job from PURELY non-face to face conversations. At the very least, I think the second interview or class observation should take place in person (though I would happily do 2 out of 3 via phone/skype/pre-recorded teaching video).

My degree will be MAT Secondary English, and I will be certified to teach 5-12. I would prefer high school, but feel comfortable working with middle schoolers (most of my experience has been with 7th and 8th graders), so I am not picky at all.

This is exactly what I have been thinking! I love NH, and would be fine staying here, but I have this strong feeling that I'd "never get out", and I do want to get out there and try new things.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 7, 2010

When I was applying for jobs out of state, I had many phone and video chat interviews. Granted, not everybody was willing to do that, but about a dozen places were willing. The job I have now was just a series of phone interviews.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2010

I agree that many schools will do phone interviews first and then if they are interested, they will more than likely ask you to come out and interview in person. Skype is a wonderful idea for an interview! Never thought of that. Good luck!

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2010

I got a job offer last year in the area you're looking from a phone interview with a principal after driving down to go to a screening interview with the district first. I didn't end up taking the job, because of quick I would have had to move, but schools were willing to do phone interviews (some would offer and others would if I asked). It seems like the area you're looking is one area in the country where there isn't an extreme saturation of teachers which should really help you get some interviews and hopefully a job next year.

13. madderhatterme

madderhatterme Rookie

Dec 7, 2010

Great to here, Kangaroo22! Thank you so much for your comments. I was starting to get queasy when imagining the potential cost of 2-3 trips down per school!