Applying for aide positions while still seeking teaching positions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by emmakate218, May 22, 2009.

1. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 22, 2009

In an effort to secure employment for the upcoming school year, I'm more than willing to accept an aide position since it will get my foot in the door, give me more experience in education, and of course...pay my bills! I will still continue to seek a teaching position, but I would like to start applying for aide positions as well. How do y'all think a principal would view a certified teacher applying for an aide position when there is still plenty of opportunity to be considered for a teaching position? Not only is finding a teaching job difficult in general, but the districts in my immediate area are extremely desirable so it's hard to get your foot in the door. I'm venturing out an hour away for more teaching opportunities, but it'll be kept close to home for aide opportunities. So, I feel like I'm saying to the principal, "You don't think I'm good enough to be a teacher even though I have all the right qualifications, but am I good enough to be an aide? Oh, pretty please!" :lol: How on earth do I approach composing a cover letter that states I'm educated, certified, and yada yada, but I'd like to be considered for the open aide position? Any thoughts on this, y'all?

3. TechTeach09

TechTeach09 Rookie

May 22, 2009

I personally am doing the same and do not see a reason to explain myself for an aide opening. They know more than we do about not being able to find a spot. Thats just the way it is right now. I think they would prefer a cert teacher anyway because they would have someone who knows classroom management and can also come in handy when a teacher is absent at the last minute. I think its always good to have a certified teacher on stand by even if your not paying them as one.. I need money and thats all that matters right now :)

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 22, 2009

I agree that principals would love to have the school's aide be certified teachers and in my area, a lot of the aides I've met are in the process of becoming a certified teacher or they're so "seasoned" with having been in the school system for so long. I'm even doubtful that I'll be able to find an aide position!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 22, 2009

emma, I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Most principals know how tough the market is right now, so they are seeing more and more certified teachers applying for aide positions.

6. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 22, 2009

But what happens if you get the aide position then do you stop applying for the teacher's positions? Or what if you get a teaching position after taking the aide position? I'm with you guys about needing a job but those questions keep popping up in my head and holding me back from applying for the aide positions.

7. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 22, 2009

No, I would still continue seeking a teaching position for the upcoming school year, but with the peace of mind that I have an aide position just in case I'm unable to find one. If I'm hired for an aide position and I'm later offered a teaching position, I would of course take it and tell the principal of the school that hired me as an aide, that I found a teaching position. The principal would know I'm a certified teacher so of course, if opportunity comes knockin', I'm goin'! I just overthink it that this would be the one reason a principal would hesitate to hire a certified teacher...

8. K-5*Newbie*

K-5*Newbie* Rookie

May 25, 2009

Don't worry about that! here in NJ my school has 3 THREE aides with their Master's degrees, because there aren't any job openings, these ladies downgrade to an assistant position! I did the same thing, I got an aide's position while I had my K-5 cert. and next year was offered a teacher's position!

9. MarshNConsMom

MarshNConsMom Rookie

May 25, 2009

This is my second year being an aide. I have my Master's. Unfortunately there have been no openings in my school. Nobody wants to leave ;) My principal knows that I am actively looking and has even written me a letter of recommendation. If I do not get a teaching job this year, I will resign my position and become a substitute. I'd like to get into some other schools (and make more money) Many teachers know my intentions and I have no doubt that I'll be able to get sub jobs. I only need to work 10 days to make the amount I make in a month as an aide.

I would think a principal would be happy to have somebody with certification as an aide :)