Applying at school my child attends

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Laura96, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Laura96

Laura96 New Member

Jul 21, 2014

I'm applying for jobs in the district where I live. The jobs are listed by the individual school, so I'm wondering if there's an issue with applying to the school my daughter goes to (it isn't our home school, but is in the district). Should I skip applying to that school? If not, what's the best way to handle it if I get called for an interview? Should I let the principal know before the interview that my daughter goes to the school?

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 21, 2014

Laura96 asked: "Should I let the principal know before the interview that my daughter goes to the school?"

No, I don't think so. It might come up in an interview, but unless a question were asked which my familiarity with the school (through being a member of the parent community) was a factor, then I don't think I would mention it.

Most schools my child has attended were small enough that it would have come up, but you want to avoid giving the impression that you think you have some sort of an in. My two cents.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 21, 2014

Apply. If they decide you might have a conflict of interest (which I doubt), they'll make that decision. Don't take that choice out of their hands by withholding your application. Go for it!

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2014

When my children were in elementary school, I taught at the same school for several years. It was a non-issue...however, it was worth it for my peace of mind!

During that time period the World Trade Centers came down and by the end of that day, most of the parents in the school had picked up their children early. Gossip around town that day was that Disney World would be the next target and parents wanted their children close. I was thankful that my children were all safe with me at school.

6. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 21, 2014

Don't give this a second thought. Not only do I work at the school that my children attended, but I actually had one of my children as a student. It was a non-issue. The principal's children all went through the school also.

7. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jul 21, 2014

Never seems to be an issue. As a student teacher, I had the history teacher's daughter, the math teacher's son, and the technology teacher's daughter. At my job now, I was told I have the librarian's son and the principal's son.

8. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 21, 2014

I don't think it will be an issue. I transferred within my district last year to my neighborhood school knowing that my children would eventually come to school with me. My son starts kindergarten next month and I look forward to being in the same building. :)

Good luck!

9. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 21, 2014

I had 4 students in my class last year, 3 belonged to other teachers and 1 belonged to the principal