Apply to Immediate, Permanent Position While in LOA Position?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mandateal, Dec 29, 2014.

1. mandateal

mandateal New Member

Dec 29, 2014

Hello everyone,

I am currently in a 1 year maternity leave position teaching 3rd grade in a small PreK-8 district. In the next town over, there is a PERMANENT IMMEDIATE elementary position open. Should I apply? IF I did get the position, would it look bad leaving the leave of absence position? If I do not get the position, and my school gets word that I applied (it's only the next town over so there could be a chance of connections between schools), would it look bad?

Thank you so much!

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2014

Yes, I think it would look bad. It's a bummer, but I think your best bet for the future would be to stick out the year, do a great job and have great references/experiences to help you get an permanent job in the future.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2014

I agree. This is a year long position you are working right now, not just a short term sub position. Do a good job and get those references. Other teaching positions will open next year.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2014

If you are a year long maternity leave replacement, you may be on a contract if you are dealing directly with the school. That is something you need to find out before you go any further in your consideration. If you are contracted, you will risk your license to leave the contract without giving the required amount of leave, usually 60 days in NJ. I don't think that your new job will want to wait if it is immediate, but you could check with them to be sure. That will pretty much tell you what you can and cannot do, realistically.

I agree with the others here - stay put, finish the year. Get good evaluations, have coworkers write you references, and who knows, you may be hired full time next year at the district you are currently in. Stranger things have happened! Districts will often give front-runner status to someone who has done a stint like yours, because they know what to expect with you, as opposed to a new hire. I know this may not be the answer you desire, but it is the answer you need to hear.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 29, 2014

It's a one year position, don't leave it. If it were something like a 4 month LTS that you were 2-3 months into, that'd be a different story.

7. mandateal

mandateal New Member

Dec 30, 2014

Thank you for the advice! :) I am going to stay where I am.