Apply for job that i didn't get

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Emmy, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Jul 14, 2012

I saw an opening ofr a job that I previously interviewed for 3 years ago when i was right out of college. Didn't get the job, but those that interviewed me were very nice and supportive. I'm guessing whoever they hired for the assistant job has now left and the job is available again. Would it be awkward to apply again? Should I say something in my email about previously interviewing? Since interviewing for that job i've had 2 other jobs as a substitute teacher and lead preschool teacher.

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2012

I would definitely apply but I'm not sure I'd say anything about previously interviewing. I wouldn't want to remind them that they didn't choose me the first time.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 14, 2012

I would apply and start thinking of what exactly you can say if they do mention the previous interview It seems likely to come up, but it may not even be the same people conducting the interview though.

5. melissavio

melissavio Rookie

Jul 14, 2012

Definitely apply! They might have wanted someone with a few more years of experience then, but would love you now! I wouldn't mention anything about previously interviewing until the interview. I probably wouldn't even bring it up unless they ask. Good luck! :)

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2012

Apply!

7. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 14, 2012

Go for it! If they interviewed a ton of candidates, they may not even remember you or there may have been turnover within the hiring committee. If they do remember you, it sounds like you had a positive experience and it could only be beneficial.

8. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Jul 14, 2012

they went with someone bilingual which i'm not. the contact person was the same person i interviewed with. i know she'll remember me cause i saw her at an early childhood conference and she even remembered my name.

9. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Jul 15, 2012

Last Wednesday I went to an interview with a principal I had previously interviewed with twice. When I went I wondered why I was putting myself through rejection yet a third time. Within an hour of finishing the interview, I had a job offer. Never count yourself out. You may not have been a good fit for that principal three years ago, but you could be one now.

10. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2012

It's not awkward at all. I interviewed twice with the same principal. The first time was not good. It was my first professional interview and I was all nerves. The second time I had some experience under my belt and nailed the interview. I doubt she even remembered me. You have had some experience and may be exactly what they are looking for this time around.

11. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jul 15, 2012

Go for it!! It's been 3 years, you have gained experience in the meantime and who knows... it may be a new interview comittee. It couldnt hurt to at least apply and see what happens. I would.

12. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 15, 2012

Yes, go for it! A friend of mine was just hired to teach at a school she had interviewed before at TWICE, and they definitely knew and remembered her. I have to hand it to her for trying again. Third time was the charm, and she got the job!

13. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Jul 15, 2012

I am in the same situation. A job I interviewed for showed back up. Except it is not the same job, just really close.

The short answer is ALWAYS apply.

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

Definitely apply.

Maybe in your e-mail to the principal, you could mention something along the lines of 'since I interviewed with you three years ago, I have work as a substitute teacher for x years and...'