Apply for Certification before Hired

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsBee, May 16, 2009.

1. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 16, 2009

I have been asking a lot of questions lately. Here goes another one.

If you decide to teach in another state that you are not certified in...do you wait to apply for your certification once you get a job or do you need to do that stuff now? or does it depend?

I have applied in so many states I feel like it will be too much. Also I know some states will give you a provisional certification for a year while you work and then you must complete all that stuff during that time.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

4. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 16, 2009

Personally, I applied for my cert before I started looking in TN. I didn't want there to be any reason for them not to hire me, ya know? I mean if they are looking at two candidates who are equally qualified but one has the certificate in that state and the other hasn't even applied yet...what would do you think they'd do? I'm thinking they'd hired the one that already has the certification. I do understand where you are coming from, though, because you are willing to relocate to where ever you find a job.

5. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 16, 2009

Thanks for the link Alice. I don't really know what to do. I guess Monday morning I need to call some people to get more info.

6. mego65

mego65 Comrade

May 16, 2009

I think it will depend on the state. Most will give you one year, but you are generally not highly qualified during that year. So, a lot of people will not consider you. I'm moving to another state and I know that when I went to the job fair, they didn't really take me serious until I told them I had already applied, got my certificate, and taken the tests. They then talked to me, and I don't think they would have if I had not done that stuff. They want someone who is serious in them, not someone who is applying anywhere and everywhere. (Though that is what we are all doing.) Hope that helps.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 16, 2009

A colleague of mine is interviewing in other districts due to maternity leaves coming back, no retirements this year so it looks like she won't be in our district next year. She's currently teaching grade 2 in my school and interviewed yesterday for a grade 7 LA job...she's passed the tests and is qualified to teach middle school LA, just doesn't have her certificate in hand. The administrator who interviewed her told her to get her paperwork going TODAY as it will be tough to hire her for the position without it...this is in the SAME state and she is qualified/certified for the position...just needs the hard copy of her certificate from the state (which typically takes some time)...I'd suggest getting your paperwork started in the states in which you are most interested/most likely to get a job.

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 16, 2009

I have applied in a few states. Most want you to have proof that you are applying to their state and proof that you are cetified in your original state. It just depends on what state. My suggestion is when you find a state that you are willing to move to look at their state education website and that will help you.

9. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

May 16, 2009

I have been told to wait till I get my states certification then once I have the hard copy they will work with me ..untill then its hard to even get your state to look at you with out the certification papers. I have already submitted mine so hopefully I will get it a month after graduation.

10. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 16, 2009

Yea I just graduate so I'm waiting for mine to come in the mail.

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 16, 2009

When I moved last year I didn't apply for my certification until I had my job offer. If you're pretty sure what state you want to move to or have it narrowed down to a couple I would apply for certification now, but if not I wouldn't do it, because of the huge cost involved. But just make sure that you would be able to get certified for the beginning of the school year in any state that you apply.

12. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 16, 2009

Yea I was looking and some of them cost $85. For some odd reason I thought it would be free! lol

13. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

May 16, 2009

I am looking at 4 different states - I cant afford to get the papers from any state other than the state of my college before I know for sure there is a job or even the GOOD prospect of a job ( like if I got an interview call). Mine was reasonable some states are over $100.00.

What also costs a ton of money is getting the clearences and FBI finger printing done ...like I said I did it for my state but I cant afford to do it in every state with out knowing if there is even a job to get there!

This growing stuff up is rough ..and expensive ! :haha:

14. mego65

mego65 Comrade

May 16, 2009

I personally would ask the HR department of the schools you are applying at. If they are not going to consider you then you don't want to waist your time filling out the app. I know this from experience. I filled out a really difficult long application and it took me days. When I submitted it they returned it saying I was not qualified until I had the state cert. and had passed the state tests. Every state is different, and every district is different. Just because one district is ok with it does not mean they all will be.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 16, 2009

I say you apply in your home state. It certainly won't hurt. And you'll be able to show prospective employers that you're serious about getting certified.

Then see how the rest unfolds.

16. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 16, 2009

I forgot to mention that schools will interview you even if youaren't certified in there state yet. I guess it just depends on what they need. I have interviewed a couple of time in New mexico and once in Colorado. Two of the schools were very nice and let me interview over the phone. I was actually offered a job in New Mexico last summer I just couldn't take it for family reasons. I have all the paper work still sitting in my desk for both states so that if I do get offered a job Im ahead of the game a little bit. At least I have the paperwork to get started.

17. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 16, 2009

Well I am certified in my state. Just need to get my degree in the mail which will take 6 weeks. I was thinking about applying in Texas and I called the cert office and they told me that they would not wait 6 weeks for me to get my license in the mail. Why? I have no idea. They told me that they would not be able to process my paperwork before school starts and therefore would not be able to get a job.
    Its true...every state is different.
    That was just strange to me. What about all the new May graduates?

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 16, 2009

MsBee-I'm surprised that Texas isn't more willing to work with you on that. I guess it's because they have so many graduates coming out of Texas universities. I know that it didn't take me 6 weeks to get my certification in the mail after applying. It could be that it's faster for in state candidates.

19. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 16, 2009

Hopefully I get it sooner.

20. smalltowngal

May 16, 2009

Crossing my fingers for you MsBee. Are you looking anyway or are there certain areas you're interested in? I know Alice posted a link in General Ed this morning that might help.

21. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 16, 2009

I saw the link this morning.

Can you clarify "Are you looking anyway or are there certain areas you're interested in?"
    I don't quite understand what you mean.

22. smalltowngal

May 16, 2009

Sorry...any where or are there certain areas you'd rather move to. I know you were applying in NC, TX, GA.

23. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 16, 2009

There are certain areas I would rather move but I will consider almost anywhere. I was looking at NC, GA, MD, VA, DC, TX.

24. smalltowngal

May 16, 2009

Well good luck!! I hope that one of those pans out.

25. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 16, 2009

Me too!! So far things are not looking that great. I thought relocating would give me some kind of something. I don't know...its still early and I'm still being patient.

26. smalltowngal

May 16, 2009

Yeah, and I think many schools are holding off until later this summer.

27. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 17, 2009

I can tell you that NC will be waiting until after the budget is figured out with the governor - she has until June 30th. New budget year begins July 1st.

We have been given a .5 pay cut for May to "help" them out and in exchange we get 10 hours furlough but it can't be taken when the students are there so basically never.

In my district they are looking at cutting positions - part time, retirement, attrition first, then those who already work in the county will have 1st dibs at a job in the county before they look outside to new applicants.

Sorry for all the bad news but I thought you might need to know how it is here at the moment.

28. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 17, 2009

This sucks!

29. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 17, 2009

Yes it does - but I will let you know when there are some changes here.

30. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 17, 2009

Please do. I just feel like every road I go on its a dead end road.
    Its a sad feeling. Knowing you went to school to get a degree in something you are passionate in and excited to get out and get a job and then this happens.
    And to think...I used to think the economy would never affect me since I was a young student in school and didn't have money, property or anything anyway. Now here I am. Graduated in 2009 one of the worst years to graduate in like the history of graduations...lol :)

31. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 17, 2009

Please do. I just feel like every road I go on its a dead end road.
    Its a sad feeling. Knowing you went to school to get a degree in something you are passionate in and excited to get out and get a job and then this happens.
    And to think...I used to think the economy would never affect me since I was a young student in school and didn't have money, property or anything anyway. Now here I am. Graduated in 2009 one of the worst years to graduate in like the history of graduations...lol :)