Apply for a job where you have already been passed up

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SashaBear, Jul 13, 2010.

1. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Jul 13, 2010

A job opening has come open at a local school. I applied for a job there two years ago and did not get it. Since I have been subbing a lot more. I am a much better teacher than I would have been if I had been hired two years ago. Should I apply? I think the answer is an obvious yes. But I'm prepared to hear a no from you. I may just not listen! LOL

3. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Jul 13, 2010

Definitely! You might have been their number 2 choice but they can only pick one person for each position--this time might be your time! What's the worst that can happen? They won't call you? You won't get the job again? Well that will definitely happen if you don't apply!

4. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Jul 13, 2010

Also---good luck! :)

5. OedipaMaas

OedipaMaas Rookie

Jul 13, 2010

Go for it!

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2010

Definitely go for it! I interviewed for a position last year, didn't get it. It opened up this year again, I applied, interviewed again and have to do a demo tomorrow(last year i didnt make it to the demo)

Positive thinking!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2010

There's no reason NOT to apply.

8. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Jul 13, 2010

Got for it!!!

9. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Jul 13, 2010

Thanks. That's what I thought too.

10. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Jul 13, 2010

Any tips on the cover letter?

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 13, 2010

Are you asking if you should refer to your previous interviews two years ago? IMO - I don't think you should mention the matter at all. I think you should focus on all the subbing you have done over the past two years. Is there a well respected teacher in the building you subbed for enough so he/she would allow you to mention how much he/she loved having you sub / felt confident leaving class in your care/ knew you would teach lesson provided/ could leave you lesson to actually teach? I think anything like this would be very beneifical

12. klc92201

klc92201 Companion

Jul 13, 2010

When you apply most applications will ask if you have applied there before, so they will already know. I think that now you know alot more and havve more experience you may get chosen this time. I have a friend that didn't get hired at a school and the following school year got hired at the school that rejected her. Turns out they didn't want to hire a first year teacher but after she had worked elsewhere he hired her. LOL!!

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2010

I say go for it! Good luck! ;)

14. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Jul 13, 2010

Here is part of my cover letter. Warning it has not been proofread yet so focus on content.

When I substitute teaching, I put my all into the day’s assignment. I arrive early, read through the lesson plans, and familiarize myself with the classroom. I do the teacher’s hall duties, grade papers if asked, and leave the classroom neat and orderly. I have even read the stories and novels assigned for the day so I can better teach the students. This came in very handy when the honor’s class had finished reading the novel weeks early and had nothing to do for thirty minutes. I quickly flipped through a workbook, found a page, and held a discussion with the students over Lois Lowry’s The Giver.

15. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 14, 2010

I think it sounds good. I would still apply and see what happens. Good luck!