Apply even though I am employed?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by GGarcia, Oct 29, 2013.

1. GGarcia

GGarcia Rookie

Oct 29, 2013

It is my first year teaching and I was happy to find any kind of job. Currently, I am working 50% in a high school about an hour from my house. I enjoy the work, but the commute is difficult and I am barely making enough to get by, even with my other part-time retail job.

Now, a job right in the town where I live opened (just today!). It's 100% so I would even get benefits, which I don't get now. Is it silly to apply? I can't find anything in my current district's contract about resignations. Would they allow me to leave if I was offered the position?

Thank you for any advice.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 29, 2013

Are you on good terms with the administration? If so, just come out and ask them what you should do. Many districts do have reasonable "opt-out" clauses for situations like yours.

4. GGarcia

GGarcia Rookie

Oct 30, 2013

Thank you for your advice. I think I will apply and see if I get an interview. I feel guilty for even thinking of changing schools during the year, but this is a job where I could stay until retirement.

5. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2013

I would definitely apply.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2013

Apply. Your current school will understand.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 31, 2013

I say apply. While most of the time I believe you honor the contract in a case of fulltime over half time employment, I say do what is best for your family.

8. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Nov 1, 2013

Apply! =)
    Good luck!

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 2, 2013

I would apply. Nobody would blame you for taking a full time job over a 50% job. Good luck!!

10. GGarcia

GGarcia Rookie

Nov 14, 2013

Update: They called and said they wanted me to come in for a talk. I thought this meant interview and got all ready and prepared. However, it was really just the principal wanting to ask a few questions and I guess see my personality. He said since it wasn't an interview he could ask me some personal questions. Not many just a few. Overall, it was a bit of strange experience. Anyway, now he will decide who to ask to the formal interview. Anyone had this happen to them?

Also, if I would get offered the job, how likely is it that my district would hold me to my contract? I have never known anyone who resigned from a teaching job and if they had problems getting out of their contract. Thanks as always.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2013

Have never heard of that before, but for my current job I was prepared for an interview and the director ended up just telling me about the job and how the office works. At the end, she offered me the job on the spot. (Not a teaching job).

I know teachers that have been let out of their contracts mid-year. I don't see it being a problem for you.

12. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2013

As a prospective employer it was still illegal for the principal to ask you personal questions, no matter how he tried to frame it. If you do accept a job there you should be mindful of your rights in case he makes a habit of trying to twist laws to get what he wants.

13. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Nov 24, 2013

You should be good.

But, be mindful. If you're under contract the administration can raise heck up to, and beyond, suspension of your teaching license.