Applied, no response. Call?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by renard, Aug 6, 2015.

1. renard

renard Companion

Aug 6, 2015

I need some advice. I'm a para, btw, not working as a teacher here (although I am one as well).

I work as one of two non-union subs for a small district (15 schools). I am called daily, no performance issues. A few permanent (union) jobs came up, and I applied for two of them, two weeks ago. No response.

It's August 6 and our year starts August 28 (September 8 for students). I know the rule is not to follow-up after applying (only if interviewed), but do these standard apply if you are already an employee?

I hate to feel like I am owed anything but I wish they could at least offer a no or yes? :(

3. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Aug 6, 2015

I would call HR and ask what the is the status of these positions. Have they already been filled or are they in the interview process? I have done this to smaller HR departments with no problems. Bigger districts might be more difficult.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2015

If you personally know the principals of the schools you applied in, I would send an e-mail saying something about how you enjoy subbing in their building and look forward to being considered for a permanent position. If you know any teachers personally, you could also reach out to them and ask them to put in a word for you. Unless the application specifically says not to contact schools, I think it doesn't hurt to at least try. If you applied when the jobs were first posted, it's not a big deal that two weeks have gone by. In my district, we can't set up interviews until the end of the application deadline, which is usually 1 or 2 weeks from when we post it.

5. renard

renard Companion

Aug 8, 2015

Thank you!!

I know one of them (haven't worked at the other). I took your advice and she said "I think the position is still open, I'll let you know if I hear anything". So, maybe just a neutral response. HR is king here, I don't know how much input she has.

Sigh... more waiting, I guess. It's nice to be in a good district, but frustrating because nobody leaves until they retire!