Applied for job on paper...should I email too?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by RedStripey, Jun 5, 2015.

1. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jun 5, 2015

Hi everyone!

I am currently covering a maternity leave in a second grade classroom and it is going extremely well. Permanent positions just went up for next year and I applied for an elementary teaching position and sent it to the superintendent from my school via inter-office mail. However, the superintendent posted the positions today online. Should I e-mail him a copy of my application as well or would that be annoying? I really want a permanent job/to stay in this district and want to make sure that all of my bases are covered.

Thanks! :)

3. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

Jun 5, 2015

I would e-mail as well! Good luck!

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 6, 2015

Definitely email!

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2015

Honestly, I would first and foremost be certain that I had met the district's mandates for applications. The vast majority of NJ districts refuse to accept paper applications at all - if you don't apply online you are out of luck. Some small districts may be different. I worked at a large district where even internal applicants had to apply online or be excluded. Given what I have noted over the years, I would first make sure I have followed district guidelines. If they have online applications, you should start there, IMO.

6. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jun 7, 2015

Thanks! This district is pretty "old school" and does not use Applitrack. The posting in the school office says to mail the resume/cover letters to the BOE office, hence why I sent it via interoffice mail (and the other teachers told me to do that too). The online posting says "only emailed resumes will be reviewed". I emailed my resume when I applied for my current position and was just wondering if I should email too because of the reasons you stated in your response to me. I just thought there might be a difference in the application process between internal and external candidates, but I think I will email too in case he does ignore my paper application!

7. Merc

Merc Rookie

Jun 15, 2015

Why not go and talk to the superintendent? You already have your foot in the door. When I was looking for my teaching job, I spent the summer visiting schools. Most admins are 12 month employees, they are sitting in virtually empty buildings during the summer. Its much easier meeting them in person rather than hoping your email is read among the hundreds of other emails in their inbox. Especially in NJ, where the average job opening gets hundreds of emails.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2015

I would go ahead and email your resume as well.