Applied for AP position- No experience

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teacherin2014, Jun 20, 2014.

1. teacherin2014

teacherin2014 Rookie

Jun 20, 2014

I have applied for an AP Psychology position at one of the best-ranked high schools in my state. Aside from student-teaching (completed in May 2014), I do not have any teaching experience. I understand that AP teachers have to complete training prior to teaching the classes, and I am trying to plan my summer vacations around potential AP Summer Institute dates in case I am offered the position. Do I have any realistic chances at getting the position with my lack of experience or should I just plan my vacations (involves booking flights and rental cars) and try not to worry about the Summer Institute dates? Thanks in advance.:thanks:

3. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 20, 2014

From my experience, top rank schools hire teachers that have experience to fill in full-time/permanent positions. I don't want to discourage you but I also don't want you to wait on this. Are the AP dates soon or are they later in the summer? I guess you never know what schools might want. I guess this is a personal decision. If it's a position you truly want then I would take the AP training and then at least you can have it on your resume for future positions. I know I held off vacations last summer waiting for jobs and I regretted it. Good luck!

4. teacherin2014

teacherin2014 Rookie

Jun 20, 2014

Thank you for getting back to me. One of the AP dates will not interfere with my potential vacations dates, while the other most likely will. I complete understand what you wrote about holding off on vacations and regretting it, especially because one of trips has a once in a lifetime opportunity that I most likely will not be getting again.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 20, 2014

I was hired to teach AP (and other courses) at my tiny school with one year experience. I did not have to go to the summer institute though. Instead I went to a one day training in October. I would not plan your summer around institute.

6. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 20, 2014

I would also expect a top school to hire an experienced teacher for an AP course. As far as vacations go, I didn't plan any big vacations the two summers I was job hunting. By big I mean more than a long weekend. I did find there was a lull in hiring/interviewing in mid-July, so in hindsight, that would have been the time to go. The timing of that hiring slowdown is very region-specific. Around here school starts up in mid to late August.

7. teacherin2014

teacherin2014 Rookie

Jun 20, 2014

I am planning both trips for mid-to-late July, because I have heard that that is when the hiring lull is in my state (NJ) and that things pick up again in August. School does not start until after Labor Day where I live.

8. blake

blake Rookie

Jun 20, 2014

I teach elementary, but after teaching for just one year I was offered a position at a new school to teach a GT class. Teaching GT in Texas requires 30 hours of training. I took my training over 4 Tuesdays in October.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2014

I wouldn't want to work for an AP with such limited classroom experience.:2cents: NJ is highly competitive for most positions in most districts. Plan your vacation...then plan on getting some real classroom experience.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 20, 2014

Cza, he's talking about teaching an Advanced Placement course, so it would be classroom experience.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2014

Ok, duh...totally buzzed by the psychology thing...thought it was assistant P position...but still, NJ is highly competitive...us gonna be tough with no real experience outside of ST.

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 20, 2014

I did too at first, no worries!

I agree about the AP though. I only got it because there's just two of us and she didn't want it. I love it though!

13. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Jun 21, 2014

Yeah, I would think that a top-ranked school would want to hire someone with AP experience. :sorry: Also, it is my understanding that you are supposed to have three years of teaching experience before attending a summer institute/teaching AP. I know there are some teachers who have starting teaching AP their first year, but it isn't really the norm.

You might actually benefit from not having to teach AP your first year. I taught AP biology for the first time this past school year (my sixth year of teaching overall), and I felt like a first year teacher all over again! Prepping a new AP class is a lot of work, way more than any other new preps I'd had in the past. Had I tried to teach AP bio my first year teaching, I don't think I could have done it justice. :2cents:

14. ayla

ayla Companion

Jun 21, 2014

My school is a top ranked school but we have a huge influx of younger staff (and a huge outflux of older staff) so our younger staff do teach AP courses. It just depends!

15. Splasher

Splasher Rookie

Jun 21, 2014

We have occasionally hired brand new teachers to teach AP, but there is a lot of pressure on them to maintain high scores. One of our AP teachers for psychology was a first year teacher, and they weren't happy with his scores, so he was not asked back. I am glad I didn't have an AP class my first year (and still have not taught an AP class....)

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 21, 2014

It's so interesting how much AP courses vary school to school. My P doesn't seem at all concerned with our AP scores. We are fighting an uphill battle with them and our small classes. My first year I had five students and no 1s and one 5. This year I had three in the class but only one took the exam. The APUSH teacher had two and neither took the exam.