Applied Behavior Analysis

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherkasey, Feb 7, 2008.

1. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Feb 7, 2008

Hi all. I have just finished orientation for my new job and have been working with the kids (shadowing another staff member) for the last couple of days. It has been interesting b/c it is something new for me and not what I expected. But I am really really enjoying it:D.

I am a Clinical Associate and I work in a "unit" that is set up in 3 "houses" where the kids live. There are around 18 kids between the 3 units and they range from 4-21 years old. The unit I am in is all boys around 15-18 years old with a wide range of developmental delays and other concerns. Basically, we have the worst, most severe behaviors. The kids we have have all been either kicked out of a program/school or weren't accepted because their behavior was too severe.

We do a lot of data collection and help with the development of their IEP's and behavior plans as part of the Interdisciplinary Team. I have a meeting the one of the Behavior Analysists on Tuesday afternoon to be trained. However, I would like to go in with some knowledge already. So... does anyone have any good sites I could visit to get information on Applied Behavior Analysis before I do a random google search?

Thank you:p

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2008

kasey, I can't give you any info, but wanted to say that I'm so happy that you are enjoying this new position!

4. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Feb 7, 2008

I'm not sure how much useful introductory information you can find here, but some articles should be available:

http://seab.envmed.rochester.edu/jaba/

As far as a crash course (I don't know how much you already know):

ABA focuses on identifying behaviors that you wish to replace (usually these behaviors are (self-)injurous or socially inappropriate). Once a behavior is identified, data is collected on its frequency, duration, intensity or other factor. Then, a behavior is chosen to replace the target behavior and the behavior is taught to the client. The replacement behavior is to be incompatable with the target behavior. (Ex. If one is sitting, one cannot be standing.) The, data is collected to be analyzed against the original baseline data collected before intervention.

I'm sorry I don't have any internet sources (just my textbook from undergrad)!

5. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Feb 7, 2008

6. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Feb 7, 2008

Oops...forgot to add: A great book about this is "Principles of Everyday Behavior Analysis" by L. Keith Miller.