Applications are making me crazy!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by heymiss, Aug 2, 2009.

1. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

I'm pretty sure I've applied to every ISD within a reasonable driving distance from my house, and I'm adding two more tonight that are actually farther away than I would prefer. I've got a tiny little dog that can't hold it all day, and I don't want to spend more than two hours a day driving. If I wanted to do that, I'd get a job in downtown Dallas and make a heck of a lot more money. :p

Anyway, this means that I've filled out a LOT of applications. Some schools are part of an application consortium, so it's one application that gets sent out to multiple districts. But many schools have their own applications, and some of these are EXACTLY the same as other districts. Some vary slightly.

But they all ask for the same repetitive information and I feel like banging my head against my desk whenever I have to enter my references AGAIN. Let me attach a freaking file so I don't have to retype everything 30+ times.

Some schools even save half of your information, but make you reenter the other half whenever you apply to individual jobs. It's enough to make you want to scream.

So what's your least favorite thing about online applications and general job hunting?

3. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Aug 2, 2009

I would have to say that I hate how ACP-unfriendly almost all applications are. It gets so confusing trying to figure out the certification part of the applications. I can't tell you how many I've had to call or e-mail about because they're just so darn confusing!

And I'm with you on constantly having to put in the same information over and over and over again. I think I've officially memorized my college transcripts, even down to how many hours I have in subjects that weren't my major.

So frustrating! I'm just about ready to start banging my head against the desk, a wall, whatever works.

4. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Aug 2, 2009

I am over the parts where they want you to write a paragraph explaining your teaching philosophy and then another paragraph about what makes you want to work for their district.

5. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

If I ever get an interview and they ask for my college transcripts, I'll give it to them. I got about 6 or so collecting dust right now since I haven't been interviewed in 3 months.

I'm also getting tired of filling out applications. It's very time consuming not to mention I've already filled out around 30, if not more.

I'm only an acp person and try to figure what i should put for my status. I've been putting provisional since I'm not fully certified.

The DFW area does have some openeings around some school districts, but it's getting pretty dry in the job market.

6. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

Ugh, me too! Right now, the only reasons I want to work for any district are so that I can stop filling out those forms and get a paycheck.

7. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

I called my program and they said I could put probationary since the only thing keeping me from that is that I haven't been hired yet.

I actually went to 3 colleges for undergrad (Transferred after my freshman year because I didn't like the school/town and then I did summer school at the local college to get some hours out of the way) and when I first started, I was putting every single one on there. Now I'm just like, pfft. I have a degree from this one school, and I'm more than happy to bring in copies of those transcripts or email them to them, but I'm officially done telling them every single thing I did in college.

8. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Aug 2, 2009

Or better yet....when you apply to private schools and you have to include a full page about why you want to go to work for a private school. Or how about when you apply to Christian schools and have to add yet another page to tell your entire life story about your beliefs and how they will play out in the classroom. sheesh!

9. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

Also, I hate ones that default to all caps because it's harder for me to proofread that way. And my last job was at a company with a really long name, so I don't like when the spaces are limited because it makes me look like I can't spell the company's name right.

10. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

I read up on probabationary and it's mostly for people who had their certification suspended for something. But either probabationary or provisional will work for me. I just want to get hired.

11. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

Hmm, that doesn't sound good. I will deliver a singing telegram explaining my status in my ACP if it'll help me get a job.

12. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Aug 3, 2009

Hahahah! So would I! I filled out an application last night where I had to explain in detail why I did not currently hold a valid Texas teacher certification. And it was so drawn out and complicated to actually write out, and I hated having to write that I won't get my probationary certificate until I get a job (I just feel like it sounds so tacky! Even though it's just how it works and I know it's not tacky at all, it just sounds weird to me). But whatever it takes to explain to them how it works for me, I'll do it.

13. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

I know! I just say that I've completed the instructional component of my program and will receive my probationary certificate upon being hired, but it sounds strange and like I'm begging them to sign my SoE already.

Also, do you feel like everyone in the world has probably seen your SSN by now? I think if you provide your social, the district should at LEAST confirm that they did, in fact, receive your application.

14. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Aug 3, 2009

YES! That makes me so nervous, especially when I have to mail the hand-written applications. Not a fan.

15. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

About the probationary certificates....they are basically for those who are doing an internship....meaning people like me. I clicked on there the other day, and that's what I'm gathering. You won't receive it until you are approved by the school district.

I hate it when I'm filling out an application, and it asks for type of certificate held. They don't even put probationary. Makes me feel bad for not being able to do ST.

I also don't like not being able to fill out the teaching experience area of the applications. Right now, I'm a TA, but I'm not filling in that in the experience field, since I don't consider it teaching experience. I put it under other work experience. They know what I do....it's all right there.

16. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Aug 3, 2009

Here are some of my pre-coffee gripes off the top of my head:

* Most make arcane demands about browser/OS type and javascript that are completely unnecessary.

* do not let you see at a glance which jobs you have applied for

* the reference forms are geared to experienced teachers; questions like "how does s/he manage the classroom" confuse non-teaching references.

* applying to 20 sites requires your references to respond 20x.

* ISDs that join consoritium sites but then force you through their own online app also (looking at you, McKinney!)

* Sites that host multiple school districts that do not communicate. You're on the same exact server typing the same exact info in again and again...

My proposal: An XML Schema that would allow jobseekers to populate the data once, upload it, and then fine-tune any information that didn't fit that site's needs. This would eliminate 95% of the repetitive work.

17. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

I am starting to feel SO BAD about this. Also, these people are probably thinking there must be something wrong with me since I haven't gotten hired anywhere.

Another thing that really just irritates the crap out of me is when I see a job posted and apply to that district only for that one job. And then a few hours later, I receive an email saying that the position was already filled. Once, I got an email ten minutes later that said they'd filled the position yesterday. Well, take the listing down!

18. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

I had one request for a letter from my Pastor. I go to a huge/mega church. The pastor did the services for my mother's funeral but other than that--he doesn't know me how could he possibly answer about my beliefs--ugh!

19. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Aug 3, 2009

I hate that my references really can't fill these out because I have no teaching experience! I volunteered for a few days in one of my reference's classrooms so she would be able to see me in action, but my other teacher reference hasn't ever actually seen me in the classroom. I've subbed for her, but since she wasn't actually there to see me in the classroom, she's told me she doesn't feel comfortable filling these forms out (even though I told her that they understand that no one has seen me in action, but I have to have these forms anyway). Those things are just horrible and horribly confusing for people with no teaching experience! I was actually scared away from a district because they required five forms to be filled out, and I just couldn't imagine finding five people willing to fill out the form for me based on absolutely no experience!

20. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

I have filled out apps everywhere even in districts that are way too far to drive. I didn't notice any new postings today, I'm thinking the P's are all back to school and should be finalizing their staff soon. It sure would be nice if Texas was one of those states that had one application bank.

21. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Aug 3, 2009

That would be nice, tb. I know a couple of regions do, but it's like fratermus experienced with McKinney. Just because they posted on that job bank doesn't mean you don't also have to go to the district's website and apply there, too (McKinney was just one of many districts I've come across that did that!). One application bank for the whole state that didn't require applicants to then go to the district and apply as well... well, that just makes way too much sense, and we can't have that! Heck, at this point, I'd be okay with having to go to the district website and also apply, if it meant that all job listings were in one single place and I didn't have to go to the TEA website and click through each and every individual district's site just to find that they have no vacancies.