Applications and Interviews

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Iteachourfuture, May 20, 2020.

1. Iteachourfuture

Iteachourfuture New Member

May 20, 2020

I was non renewed this year due to covid. I have been applying for every elementary opening (my license goes K-6). After I submit the application I always follow up with an email introducing myself and sending my resume and cover letter. I heard back from only 3 principals thanking me for applying. I've emailed probably 50 principals. No interviews AT ALL and I've been applying since March. I recently created an online teaching portfolio to help. I have pictures of various activities and a video of myself teaching. I also talk about my philosophy of education and classroom management. However most of the positions I had already applied for and emailed the principal before I created the portfolio. I think the portfolio is really powerful and I want them to see it. Is it bad to email again even though I never received a response and say something like
    "Hello,
    I noticed the (fourth grade) opening at your school is still available. I recently created an online portfolio and I wanted to share it with you."
    Does it look bad to email again?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 20, 2020

In all honesty, most administrators now probably don't have time to view your video and portfolio. They are overwhelmed trying to complete this school year and planning for whatever the future holds. You need to grab their attention in the first sentence of your email (provided they even look at an unsolicited email).

bella84 likes this.
  4. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Companion

May 20, 2020

Sounds like you are saying that it may not work, but it can't hurt?
    But, I did see a job on edjoin that specifically said no pictures of yourself. Check the fine print on the requisition.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 20, 2020

I don't think I would send an email at all. Most principals don't want to receive those, especially at this time of year, unless they are coming from someone who already has a connection. I think I would just see if you can add your portfolio link to your online applications. Also, if you get offered an interview, you can share it at that time. Honestly, most principals probably won't look at it anyway, unless they are already planning to interview. In other words, it's not going to be what gets you the interview, but it could be what helps you get the job.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 20, 2020

Around here no one is hiring right now because they're waiting to see how bad the budget situation is going to be. In my state, we know what the state deficit is (and it's HUGE) but we don't yet know how much they're cutting from education and how each district will be impacted.

Of course you should keep looking and applying for anything new that comes up, but I wouldn't expect to hear about interviews right now and I wouldn't send additional emails either. Admins are extremely overwhelmed right now. Once the budget is figured out there will be positions that need to be filled even with the cuts. Just be patient.

talknteach likes this.