Application Question... Help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by jennyjenjen, Jul 19, 2006.

1. jennyjenjen

jennyjenjen Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

Ok, I am filling out an intern application and this question stumped me,
    "Discuss your interest in working with students from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds with mild/moderate backgrounds."

I don't know how to answer without sounding cliche, any tips?

3. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 19, 2006

That is a very vaguelly written question! I would talk about how you encourage diversity and multiculturism in your classroom -why these things are beneficial to all students and how you'll incorporate them into the curriculum. For example, if you have a student from Mexico - have them bring in money, cultural items, etc. and let them do a presentation - better yet, have the parent come in and help with it. Or, you could even have the whole class do a unit on Mexico. The options are endless.

You might also want to talk about your own background, as in - are you culturally or linguistically diverse, or have family friends that are? If so, how has this affected how you may work with those type of students?

Good luck to you! I just finished my internship. It will be long and hard, but you will learn SO SO SO much! PM me anytime to chat, ask questions, or whatever!

Chenelle

4. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 19, 2006

I think this is a polite way to ask about how you feel about working with students who may not speak english well or have parents who do not speak english.

5. jennyjenjen

jennyjenjen Rookie

Jul 20, 2006

Thanks for the help. Here is what I put, please let me know if you would change anything, I am really nervous about this application.

Some of my favorite moments of student interactions have been with students that were linguistically or culturally diverse. Having a diverse class is a great way to help everyone learn about different cultures, and is definitely a great springboard to promoting multiculturalism and equality. By asking students about their cultures, it might encourage them to participate and share, and it will also show the students that the teacher is interested in their lives.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2006

Haven't had much coffee yet this morning so can't be too much help, but a couple of things jump out at me. In your second sentence you have used the word "great" twice. Also, using the word "might" in your last sentence is a little weak. What about: "A diverse class provides the opportunity to learn about different cultures, promoting and celebrating equity, multiculturalism and equality."