Application Question for 1st grade essay

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Maithal, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Jun 30, 2008

Hi Everyone!
    I'm getting nowhere with jobs. I had an interview for 2nd and 3rd grade position, which I thought I got only to find out this weekend that I didn't get it (principal called and on Saturday). Said she liked my enthusiasm but went with ppl with more experience. Go figure.

Anyway, I'm working on another application for a 1st grade position and need some help. Here is the essay question....

Please tell us about strategies that you would employ to assess reading comprehension after a first grade student has read a guided-reading piece.

I was going to say something like this....

Having a strong background in reading (currently doing Masters in Reading), I believe literacy is a vital part of my classroom instruction. When assessing a student I would ask the student to retell the story making sure he/she includes the characters, setting, problem, and solution as well as have the student. I would determine what part of the retelling the child is able to do and what part the child has difficulties with. This would then be the basis of my instruction. I would assess the child using the DRA2, BRI, or whatever assessment the school uses.

I am big on using Nancy Boyles strategies (do you know those?). Not sure what else I can say. Somehow I know what I'd do but not sure how to say it correctly and in a way that makes me sound like I know my stuff.

What do you think? I don't want to sound like everyone else so any and all ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

3. MissR

MissR Comrade

Jul 4, 2008

Maybe you should include how you would document the information you receive. I would say that I have a running record/checklist for each child that allows me to document. It does just ask for "strategies" not necessarily specifically what you would look for. I would say strategies I use are mostly questioning, having kids retell, and written responses.

Besides tests, you really only mentioned one strategy (retell). I say list three or so and if they seem to want something long, then expand on each one.

Mention Nancy Boyles. Whether they know her or not, they will think you know your stuff. :) It always sounds smart to mention experts names. Just say something like, "I would also utilize Nancy Boyles' strategies such as blah, blah, and blah."

4. fuzzybunnie

fuzzybunnie Rookie

Jul 4, 2008

REading Comprehension

It sounds to me like you're on the right track, but I agree that you should mention more than one strategy. I don't know Nancy Boyle, but I remember from my own reading class mentioning the student's different levels of connection with the text: text to self, text to text (comparing to other texts that is), and text to world. Also using questions to determine factual recall (as in retelling) as well as being able to make inferences.

Good luck!