Application process

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mre0609, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Mre0609

Mre0609 Rookie

Jul 16, 2014

I'm applying for positions in NC. Most of the school districts webpages direct me back to the NCDPI website to apply, so I've submittd a few apps through there. I just feel like by applying this way the school district isn't getting a good feel for all of my qualities. There is no place to upload a cove letter or resume. Should I contact HR with each district that I applied to follow up with more info about myself? Or would that be annoying for HR to get a follow up from everyone whose applying?

I'm moving from higher ed to k-12, so I know how our process works, just not familiar with k-12 hiring. Also, the principal at our MS is my neighbors son. Would it be weird for me to talk to him one day that he is outside?

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 16, 2014

I'm not familiar with NC protocols, but my general recommendation to job hunters is to email principals a cover letter and resume. Not just the ones at schools with listed openings, but at all schools you can envision yourself taking a job at. Don't go through HR. Principals do the bulk of the actual hiring.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2014

In 2007, I applied in Gaston, Lincoln, Iredell, Cabarrus, Union, Rowan, Cleveland, Stanly, Davie, and Davidson counties. (Basically, I wanted to be near Charlotte, but not teach in Mecklenburg County). At the time, to apply in each of those counties, you directly emailed the principal. I don't know if it has changed in some of them, but I know for a fact that the county I taught in has not changed.

I also did cold mailings to all the schools I was interested in.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2014

I just checked my old county's website, as well as the county I lived in. Both say to email/mail a resume and cover letter to the principal after you've filled out the application.

What are you wanting to teach? And what general area?

6. elleveeaych

elleveeaych Rookie

Jul 16, 2014

When I applied in NC, I emailed the principals. Some didn't respond, but many did get back to me in some manner. Unless the district specifically states not to, I don't think it's a bad idea to introduce yourself and let them know you've applied. Also check specific district websites for postings, some don't use the state system!