Application opinions please

Discussion in 'General Education' started by myKroom, Apr 24, 2015.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Apr 24, 2015

I am getting my application ready for an elementary principal position. It's not just any application or any school, it's my hometown and the school I attended K-12...actually 3 generations of my family attended K-12. I WANT THIS JOB! There are a handful of teachers/staff who would know me in the elementary and more in the HS. It's a small town and we have a family farm in the area.

The current administrators were not there when I attended, but I have met them at different events. I'm trying not to overplay the hometown, alumni, know people thing. I'm not a showy, flashy person. I'm trying to walk a fine line of how much is too much, or not enough.

I guess I just need some opinions. How far do I go without overselling myself? Do I mention being from the area in my cover letter or just let the credentials speak for themselves? Hand deliver the application? Thoughts please!

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 24, 2015

Seems to be hand-delivering vs e-mailing/mailing applications depends entirely on the district/school policy, but if it's accepted, I think it seems nice.

I actually would play a bit of the "local kid" card, though I would let the credentials do most of the talking. A familiarity with the community would only be beneficial as a principal.

4. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Apr 24, 2015

Totally mention the hometown thing...maybe even something like "I and several family member attend school in this district/school. As a student it was evident that teachers cared for their students...and I want to give back to the community that invested so much in me!" Small towns eat that stuff up! A lot of times it's not what you know it's WHO you know...you know this district and they know you! Use this to your advantage! Goodluck

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Apr 24, 2015

I agree with that. Talk about what a great community it is and why you want to be there.

6. Rox

Rox Cohort

Apr 24, 2015

I second using the "local kid" card, they'll see you already have connections with the faculty and the community.

They also often want to know why you're leaving the position you're in, but may not be allowed to ask. This is the perfect reason.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 24, 2015

Knowing the community goes a long way in developing relationships with parents, students, etc. I would definitely mention your positive experiences in the district, and how you would use those to help you in the new position. Best of luck!

8. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Apr 25, 2015

Ohhhh...I like that!! Thanks!!!