"Apple Auntie" does anyone know what she is from?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by MsAnn, Sep 22, 2006.

1. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Sep 22, 2006

I have a coworker who found a puppet and a sheet of paper with a story on it about "Apple Auntie" it is really cute and she would like to find the rest of the alphabet but all we have is the story of "A" which has a "4" in the corner, so it's from a book.

Does it sound familiar to anyone?

3. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Sep 22, 2006

I googled the phrase "apple auntie" curriculum and came up with surprisingly few results. One preschool page did have song lyrics listed to a song about finding Apple Auntie--they were credited with the following book:

http://www.amazon.com/Alphabet-Pupp...=pd_bbs_1/104-9917951-3864704?ie=UTF8&s=books

I'm not sure its actually what you're looking for, but for the used price ($1.70) it might not hurt to order it and find out.

If I'm way off, I apologize!

4. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Sep 22, 2006

LOL. Yeah, I googled it to death. I did not come to the result you mentioned though, I just followed the link and I'll see if I can find out if this is the book.

Thanks and if it's not the book, I'll send ya the bill. Hehehe. ;)

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2006

Never heard of it, sorry. When I read your post though, I was thinking of "Apple Annie" by frogstreet press. Hope you find what you are looking for. :)

6. Cboo

Cboo New Member

Sep 22, 2006

I have copies of the book given to me by another teacher...but they are all at school. I will check on Monday and get back to you.

7. sewsouth

sewsouth Companion

Sep 22, 2006

Yes.... this comes from Frog street press. They are great they have alphabet, numbers, colors. They also have great cd's with a lot of catchy songs to go with the books. I have the alphabet and the kids love it.

8. melissaolemiss

melissaolemiss Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

Its a great book. I use it in my Pre-K class. ALot of teacher stores still sell it but you can get it direct from this site. But this is definitely the book that story comes from.

elementary-educators.schoolspecialtypublishing.com/products/0822402998.php

if the address doesn't work email me at melissaolemiss@sbcglobal.net and I'll send it again!

9. sewsouth

sewsouth Companion

Sep 22, 2006

I started using FSP this past week. I do not use them in ABC order but instead I use the alphabet according to the theme. I started with the letter "C" . We were doing Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, this week I did "F" we had a farm theme.

I had a parent complain last week about the message from Cathy Cook my letter "C" book last week. Because Cathy Cook croaked and she did not like carrott, corn and califlower. The kids are 4/5 and love the catchy tunes and words and do not know really know or realize what it means or the message. The mother made a big deal out of it in front of the child so now the child thinks something was wrong with what he was singing in preschool, he is already shy. I hope others do not run into this or maybe you have and can let me know how you handled it.

10. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Sep 23, 2006

I have this stuff.. From A to Z...She isn't from Frog Street Press. There is a short story that goes with viusal phonics. The students are also able to make a puppet to go with!! I use it with my PK students. I used it with my kindergartens a couple years ago. I don't know the company, because I got these copies from when I studnet taught.

11. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Sep 23, 2006

You're thinking of Applie Annie, that's Frog Street Press.

12. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Sep 23, 2006

We use Frog street. I have a problem with Cathy Cook myself. I talked to the company and they exchanged that book for me. We rewrote the song. I would share it but it needs ALOT of cwork.

I have problems with several of the book because they really so not introduce the letter. For example: Read Yippy the Yellow Yak The story is cute but it never mentions the letter Y. I would rather that more emphasis was put on the letters and less on the stories.
    Rowdy the Rodeo Rat is also bad.

13. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Sep 24, 2006

Thanks so much! I see the difference here, there is one from Frog Street which has quite the hoopla going and the other is by Jill Coudroy. The Coudroy one looks like it's the one I am looking for. Thank you, thank you!

For those of you using the FSP one that don't like some of the characters try Coudroy's out instead. :)

14. sewsouth

sewsouth Companion

Sep 24, 2006

I see the difference now
    thanks so much

15. gracieh

gracieh Rookie

Sep 24, 2006

frog steet press has apple annie and loads of other stuff

16. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Sep 25, 2006

An excellent set of letter and number books are by Jane Belk Moncure. The 26 letter books have good stories about children whose names begin with that letter and lots of words in the stories that also begin with each letter. They are published by The Children's World. I purchased mine on Ebay but I think a new addition is available on Amazon.

17. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Sep 26, 2006

I use both Apple Anutie and Apple Annie. I also got a new thing this year that has music like FSP. I'm actually liking the music a lot more, because it is a little slower than FSP. My students have a hard time staying with the music.

18. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Sep 26, 2006

I just purchased one by Scholastic and I'm loving it! The stories are very detailed and the puppets are adorable... and they come with handwriting activities too.

19. jlj

jlj Devotee

Oct 3, 2006

Apple Auntie

I see you found the right book! I've used these books for years in both 3 & 4 years old classrooms and think they're great: Alphabet Puppets by Jill Coudron along with the Alphabet Activities book by same. The past several years I've used an animal for each letter so I improvise, just change a few words here & there in the stories & songs. We use the ABEKA curriculum but I still use these ideas to introduce the letters in a fun way. Hope you enjoy them too!

20. meandthebees

meandthebees Rookie

Oct 3, 2006

hey do you do a fill my box activity for your circle time? its great for interaction.

21. jlj

jlj Devotee

Oct 3, 2006

fill my box activity

No, what do you do? I have used a "letter bucket". Each child has a turn to take the "letter bucket" home, fill it with items that begin with their assigned letter and bring back. It's a great way to review each letter and a way to get the family involved. They can get magazine pictures, cut out the letters, toys, foods, whatever! The bucket is just a simple plastic pail with ABC stickers all over it. I send a letter of explanation and examples of things to look for for each letter.