Appeasing the Copier Gods

Discussion in 'General Education' started by La Profesora, Sep 30, 2007.

1. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Sep 30, 2007

Hello All!

Anyone have any funny stories, tips and tricks, or suggestions on how to keep that blasted copier running? Or want to complain (nah, no complaining, I like funny)

we must have the worst repair guy in the world. He comes out, the copier works for one day, then nada. We don't see him for a week. And we're outta luck.

I ask because I used to be a copier repair person before teaching (if you've read some of my posts) and I feel that has blessed me at my school. Everyone always needs help with the copier.

I pet ours. For real. and talk to it so gently. Sometimes I take windex and clean her glass and her doors and I believe that she really likes me. she gets mad at those who slam her doors and trays and break her plastic thingys.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2007

OK, I'll bite.....

How do we know it's a "she"???

4. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 30, 2007

in my second year of teaching i was trying to help a first year with the jammed copier. Turns out that someone had unplugged the blasted thing over the weekend. boy did we feel stupid.

5. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Sep 30, 2007

We used to have one that we had to pray over before trying to use it. The repair guy was there at least weekly. Finally in the spring of last year, they replaced it, and our new one has been most helpful so far.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 30, 2007

Would I win a nobel prize if I designed the first smart copier? It has a slightly bigger screen than the nicer copiers do for asking you what options you want and how many copies. Instead of just asking you what you want, it SHOWS you what your copy will look like BEFORE you print it. How many copies do we waste trying to enlarge something??!!!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2007

The two school districts that I have worked in the copier has never seemed to work. The copier guy was a familiar face by Spring Break. And then when it did work, of courese there was a line to use it!!

8. smalltowngal

Sep 30, 2007

cng, not sure if you would win the nobel prize, but you would earn the greatest respect from teachers if you invented that copier.

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2007

I work in an office part time and have learned a lit about copiers. For instance they are extremely sensitive- which is understandable- they are women:D

They hate staples! This will cause that dreaded guy to show up and open them up to dislodge any staples. Now how would you like major surgery performed on you almost every other day.

Most of the copiers come with directions and are visual learners too. If there is a problem most of the knobs are coded and "she" will indicate what you should try first before calling for help.

* please note- This proves that the machine is a woman because she's not afraid to give /ask for directions:D

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2007

Our copier hates me. Our secretary said someone was complaining about how it always breaks of them, and she told them "No, It really hates Ms. C!" Which would be me. It took me THREE days to copy my math tests last week. I tried about 3 times a day. I'd get about 4 and it'd jam.

Maybe I'll try talking to it. Her? Whatever. Maybe it'll like me better then!

11. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Sep 30, 2007

We finally got separate copiers for the administration and the teachers a few years ago. Since then, we have had less and less problems. Perhaps this has to do with the fact that teachers dont tend to run off copies in batches of 2,500....

db

I'm sure I just jinxed myself for the next few weeks.

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2007

We have 3 copiers. One in the main work room jams from drawer 2, but not drawer 1. If you want to bypass the drawers and used the side loader for construction paper, you can't do more than 5 pages at a time or it'll jam. If you send a document from your computer to the copier in the work room, you have to go through this long list of instructions to retrieve it.
    I've seen newbies stand infront of the machine with a look of dispair on it for hours! Basically you have to pull every green lever to find the jammed paper.

We use the riso for more than 30 copies at a time. I like it, but if you pick up the papers before they're dry, you'll smudge them.

The other machine is in the former work room off the library. (we recently remodeled and expanded) it's not used as much cuz it's out of the way. There's never a line, but when it runs out of paper, you have to go to the other work room to get the ream of paper cuz those cupboards aren't restocked as often.

At my former school, the school decided to use the money for an assistant to be a copy room person and all she did was run copies for everyone. Since she knew the machines inside and out they didn't jam as much and it was so nice to just write a sticky note on a page you wanted copied, and they would magically appear in your box.

13. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Sep 30, 2007

Because "she" is just like me :) I relate to her, I talk to her, I pet her, I give her word of encouragement (C'mon girl! Only 10 left! You can do it!). I have just always assumed she is a..... she

Oh yes, copiers HATE staples! I have removed the finisher and tons of little half stapled staples fall out. Seems like the staple function is what always makes the copier break. That, and the duplexing tray.

Why don't the copier repair guys ever come and do "preventative maintenance?" Did you all know your copier is rated to do so many copies a month, and then the guy is supposed to come and change the drums and clean it out and change the rollers? Ours only shows when its broken. I think all of us know to change our oil in our cars and get a routine physical so that we keep our cars and our bodies in working order. Why does this not apply to copiers? (ps, if your district has a contract with one of those companies, then they are REQUIRED to do preventative maintenance. Just a FYI)

14. smalltowngal

Sep 30, 2007

We also had a person that would copy stuff for us. She had her own copier. There was another copier in the room that teachers could use for quick copies. You had to be very nice to the copy woman or else you wouldn't get your copies fast enough. If you gave her a little gift or card, then you were guaranteed to get your copies with a day or two.

15. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Sep 30, 2007

I work in the library/computer lab where our old photocopier has taken up residence. I feel like I have earned an honorary degree in photocopier repair! Our old "friend" has so many notes on it about what is no longer working...don't use the side feed (we have actually taped it shut), don't try to do duplex, etc...

16. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Sep 30, 2007

Our copier is dying a slow death. However what is most annoying is our new clerk. When her screen says "must replace dry ink to resume printing," she means it. Our new clerk always "well at my old school it kept going." Not here, you have to replace it right then and there. Then you have to keep reminder her to change it, so you can get your copies ran.

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 30, 2007

Maybe she wants you to give her name!

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 30, 2007

Last year I had three copiers. One in the little kids room, one in the big kids room and one unplugged sitting in the corner in the hallway.
    The one in the little kids room is female. She was nice and told me everything that was wrong with her. Even gave me instructions on how to fix her. The one in the big kids room was horrible. Would just flash at me that everything was wrong. Had to be male, complained about everything when he was sick! :D:lol:

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2007

Our photocopier tries to be psychic, but she's not very good at it. I have been heard to curse, under my breath, and say, "Just do what I ask you to do, not what you think I want" as I throw copy after copy into the recycling bin.

20. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 30, 2007

They replaced the Duplo and Xerox at school a few weeks ago. They are pretty similar to the old ones so for the most part it's ok. The other day, though, I would have taken a sledgehammer to Xerox if I'd had one! :crosseyed Of course I was in a rush trying to make a transparency. I laid the paper the way it was supposed to go and it made it horizontal instead of vertical (too wide and too short - cut stuff off). So, I threw away that transparency, turned the paper, hit copy, and the frazzing thing did the same thing! *huff* Three transparencies later I finally got one, but it was shrunk, the machine automatically converted it to 84%. I think I switched to a different language for a while there. Stupid machine!! :dunno: Now, every time before I use it, I have a little talk with it. So far it's behaving. I know it's just waiting for that day that I'm rushing to do it again though. Maybe I need to make a sacrifice to appease it!

21. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2007

Well, our school system got new copiers about a year and a half ago... Since then things have been great. It does front/back, 2 pages on one side, staples packets, hole punches etc. I have heard that it has a feature that will let you send items from your computer to copy, but it hasn't been wired to do that yet (probably never will now hahah).

22. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 30, 2007

The copiers at the college are absolutely fantastic. In fact, they're smarter than most of us. I get beautifully collated, stapled papers every time. In time, they will probably take over the planet.

Quite a change from the middle school, where everyone in the building had to stand in line for the ONE single xerox machine.

Many of us resorted to the old thermofax and ditto masters and just used the mimeograph machine.

The new millenium and we were still covered with purple ink.

23. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 30, 2007

We are lucky we have two copy rooms with 5 copiers each that do it all you can even send a doc to copy from your pc. They hole punch, collate, double side copy, make pamphlets, everything.

24. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 30, 2007

We have 22 regular classroom teachers not mention the other teachers (speech, library, etc). Those who have aides in their room have the aides do their copying. Those of us who don't, do our own. It has become serious in that copy room. I have a 50 minute planning period. My grade is the only one free at that time. In theory, that room should be empty. It never is, though. I always end up copying after school because others' aides are in there copying. Grrrrrrr I'm about to the point of suggesting a sign in for the copier. "Xerox copier serving customer 869!"

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2007

and I was worried because I talk to my fax machine! I bought a 2nd one when my old apartment had a power surge, and it was totalled along with my other appliances. I almost cried! :(

I love my fax! :wub: it is my best friend. I can make copies on it, argue with people and prove I am right. get stuff today. and it doubles as a phone.

How did I ever get along without it? I am not tempted to get a new fangled copier/scanner/printer all in one ..I figure, if one breaks all three are no good. more stuff, more stuff to break.

ahhh...my little Brother intellifax775. add paper, a cartridge, dust it off, and talk to it, and it works just fine.

sorry LaProfessora...I just got carried away! :rolleyes:

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 1, 2007

My husband gripes occasionally because I use a lot of ink at home. He started buying it by the bulk. In fact, when our printer broke he decided he had to get the same model because we had the ink for it. One kid last week decided his paper had "fancy printing" because I had a little color at the top of the bingo cards. We aren't allowed to use color printing unless absolutely crucial at work. Yep, love my printer. It's not in my classroom so it isn't included in the question, but it's my single most important tool.