Appealing to emotion

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by John Lee, Jul 18, 2013.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 18, 2013

What place, if any, do you think appeals to emotion have in the hiring process? A lot? Some? None?

I think this particularly applies to newer teachers, who lack the experience and accomplishments with which one would like to simply stand on. Sometimes you feel like it is your best/only shot, saying "I will do the best job ever", or "I won't let you down" (and then going into why) sort of thing.

When I say appeal, I'm not saying begging or asking for pity. I mean, in some way trying to play at aspects other than your job performance/ability, that might elicit: sympathy, sense of obligation, etc. I mean, instead of getting into the technical aspects of your ability, going in with more rah-rah, go get'em aspects (of why you would be great).

Do employers generally look at these things in a positive or negative light? I don't have an interview planned or anything. Like I said, I just think it is difficult to compete with others who have the background that you can't match, because you can't ever land a job that will allow you the opportunity to earn the background--because you lack a background... If you know what I mean.

3. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 18, 2013

I am a "new teacher," finished my internship in December and was hired in November before I even finished the internship.

I went on two interviews and was offered both positions. In one of the cases it was the was the school I interned with so they didn't want to interview anyone but me. The other job I interviewed with offered me a job on the spot, I ended up going with the school I interned with.

I think experience is a huge determiner, but if you have confidence I think it snuffs out experience every time. Mediocre teachers can be experienced and exceptional teachers can be newbies, so going in there and having the disposition of "I am a great teacher...this is why," stands a much better chance of getting you a job than playing on emotions, IMO. In fact, I leave emotions other than passion for my job and passion for my students' at the door when I interview.

4. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 18, 2013

I don't like to say stuff like that. Its my personality though and I would probably take someone less serious if they used phrases like that. I only went on a few interviews last year and they were so straight forward with their questioning that I don't think it would have done me any favors to "embellish" my answers with those types of phrases. They wanted to know in plain speak why I would be a good teacher at their school.

I know what you mean about being inexperienced and having a hard time answering some questions. During my interview they asked me that classic "what are your strengths and weaknesses as a teacher" question. The strengths were easy to come up with but my weaknesses were harder to come up with on the spot. I panicked and just said that I was a new teacher and that I may not know the best way to handle every situation. I did emphasize that I was however always open for suggestions and easy to work with. I thought I blew it but they called me back so I guess it wasn't so bad.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 18, 2013

In my case, and everyone's is different, it was my passion for working with under-served students that caught my principal's attention. In a way, it was emotional.

6. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jul 18, 2013

I think the key is to indicate that you're open to suggestion and searching for ways to make yourself better. I know someone who was fired from her last two teaching jobs. She's not forthcoming with all of the details, but personality-wise I've found that she knows it all. I suspect that may have been a big part of her problem. That attitude rarely plays well in the educational world. Administrators and co-workers respond much better when they feel like they're mentoring you. And really...who is in a position not to be able to learn from another person's experience? Make sure interviewers know that you're confident, but not superior.

7. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 19, 2013

I think that if you are a solid candidate but one who may lack experience, showing enthusiasm and a willingness to grow can help. Shows that you are good raw material. I think it depends on whether or not they want a newbie on board. Some p's do and some don't.