Appalled

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 17, 2009

I received this email forward today from a teacher at my school. She sent it to a bunch of teachers. I don't think I need to say much more, just read the email....what was she thinking??? The title of the email was "Gagsta Math"

GANG/CREW NAME______________

CRIB_________________

1. Ramon has an AK-47 with a 200-round clip. He usually misses 6 of every 10 shots and he uses 13 rounds per drive-by shootin. How many mofos can Ramon ice on a drive-by before he gotta reload?

2. Leroy has 2 ounces of cocaine. If he sells an 8 ball to Antonio for $320 and 2 grams to Juan for $85 per gram, what be the street value of the rest of his ****?

3. Dwayne pimps 3 ho's. If the price is $85 per trick, how many tricks per day must each ho turn to support Dwayne's $800 per day Crack habit?

4. Darryl wants to cut the pound of cocaine he bought for $40,000 to make 20% profit. How many ounce bags will he need to make to gets the 20% upside?

5. Ray-Ray gets $2000 for a stolen BMW, $1500 for stealing a Corvette, and $1000 for a 4 x 4. If he steals 1 BMW, 2 Corvettes and 3 4x4's, how many more Corvettes must he steal to make the 10k for his brother's bail?

6. Pedro got 6 years for murder. He also got $10,000 for the hit. If his common-law wife spends $100 of his hit money per month, how much money will be left when he gets out?

7. If an average can of spray paint covers 22 square feet and the average letter is 3 square feet, how many letters can be sprayed with three 8 oz. Cans of spray paint with 20% paint left over?

8. Tyrone knocked up 4 girls in the gang. There be 20 girls in his gang. What be the percentage of bitches Tyrone knocked up?

9. Lafawnda is a lookout for the gang. Lafawnda also has a Boa Constrictor that eats 5 rats per week and a cost of $5 per rat. If Lafawnda makes $700 a week as a lookout, how many weeks can she feed her snake with one week's income?

10. Marvin steals Juan's skateboard. As Marvin skates away at 15mph, Juan loads his 357 Magnum piece. If it takes Juan 20 seconds to load his piece, how far away will Marvin be when he gets whacked?

3. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Oct 17, 2009

Ugh Pisces. What was this teacher thinking? I hate when people forward stuff that highlights the problems in society. I know these problems exist, but I really don't need to read math problems about said problems.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2009

I couldn't read past the first sentence of the first one--what an offensive thing for a teacher to send out.

5. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Oct 17, 2009

Wow, Pisces_Fish. I can't believe that this teacher thought that this email was not offensive.

Not professional at all. It's insulting. I don't see it as funny at all to joke about these types of situations. The teacher would be in hot water if a parent or administration got a hold of the email. Even if people have a different sense of humor that I do, people should not be forwarding these emails to their colleagues in a school setting.

Just my two-cents.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  6. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2009

The teacher who sent the email is not playing with a full deck.

7. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2009

Not only is she not playing with a full deck......... but she should be put on administrative leave...... without pay.

8. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Oct 17, 2009

I was just going to point out that this type of email could seriously hurt a teacher's career. Especially because he/she apparently thought it was funny enough to send around.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 17, 2009

That is terrible!

Our e-mails can be monitored by our administration, and we are encouraged to notify them if we receive offensive e-mails. That way they know we did not ask to get them, they just came to us. Maybe report it?

10. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Oct 17, 2009

I am not sayin that this is right in any way!!! But, I wonder where the writer of the original email works. My daughter, a high school senior, told me after hearing this that it would get kids to pay attention in math. She said that in her Government class every time the teacher says anything about marijuana every one in class that is sleeping or not paying attention wakes up.

11. alilac

alilac Rookie

Oct 17, 2009

What is wrong with our class if we have to say "marijuana" to get sleeping kids to wake up? Two issues here.

Not funny and neither is this email that was sent. I'd send it to authorities. I think Johnny can do math without the use of cocaine.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2009

Unprofessional and not funny at all.

13. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Oct 17, 2009

:eek:

14. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 17, 2009

:confused: What was this teacher thinking? I wouldn't try to enforce any administrative moves but I would want to sit down with this teacher and explain why that action was wrong on so many levels.

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2009

I didn't waste time reading the whole email...uh, did she send this out as some kind of a bad joke??
    I would make a copy and save it someplace.
    I wonder if anyone has forwarded it to the principal?

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2009

I only glanced at the contents of the email.

Offensive. Inappropriate.

Print a copy, save it. Notify your admin about it.

Yuck.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2009

Okay, I read a little more.

Not only is it offensive and inappropriate, it's also racist and vulgar.

Pimping hos and knocking up bitches? Really?

Ugh. I'm glad I don't work with this person.

18. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2009

1. An AK-47 does not have anything close to a 200 round clip.

2 and 4. The drug prices are all off.

7. Anyone at Home Depot will tell you that a can of spray paint does not cover 22 square feet (thoroughly at least)

9. Frozen rodents can be purchased for as little as 30 cents each.

10. Juan would not be whacked at all, since he would most likely be out of range of Marvin's gun. That is assuming that he could actually get a skateboard to go 15 mph on level ground.

BTW, I first read this piece some time in the late 80's. It's pretty old.

19. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 17, 2009

Very offensive. Like Sarge, I have seen this "joke" email before. At home, this email was offensive. In the workplace, it is out of the question. Shame on this teacher.

BTW-Sarge, your comments always make me smile!

20. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 17, 2009

I'm not going to forward this email to my principal because I teach this teacher's son. I'd rather not get involved.

21. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Oct 17, 2009

Tasteless at best

I could see an educator being disciplined for forwarding this kind of email. I wonder what she was thinking. Maybe she thinks you need to shock children to get their attention.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2009

Wow-was it sent on school email?

23. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Oct 17, 2009

Yikes, I did not read past the first line of the e-mail either, but yikes. That is a tough situation especially for you to be in teaching her son. how terrible and tasteless and awful. wow, it is unbelievable a teacher would forward that to coworkers

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2009

I received that forward at school from a teacher as well.

25. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2009

You really don't have to forward the email using "your" name...

I find the "teacher" who sent this email to other teachers reprehensible...... She really needs to know what she did was wrong.....

26. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2009

I didn't find anything funny or cute about the idiot teachers's post.... I wouldn't want her teaching my kids....

And BTW, an AK-47 is fed ammo from a magazine, not a clip.... many people don't know the difference......;)

27. alilac

alilac Rookie

Oct 17, 2009

The problem with today.:confused: Especially when you can do it without anyone knowing it was you.

28. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 17, 2009

Yes, it was on the SCHOOL email!!

29. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2009

oh good! I'm sure the principal will get it, eventually!
    It definitely needs to be addressed; I would NOT want my children having that bent teacher. :mad:

30. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 17, 2009

While I totally agree it was stupid to forward to other teachers, I regularly get emails like this from my friends. My particular favourite is one about my high school which states that it only takes one student from the school to change the light bulb, 40 to screw each other in celebration and another 50 to get to drunk and stoned to move. An accurate description of most of the high school parties I attended.

That said, it is not professional humour and any teacher sharing those kind of jokes needs to be really careful who they share them with.

Oh I found two about the Universities in my province looking for the list about the high schools in my hometown...

How many University of Regina Students does it take to change a light bulb?
    Two ... one to change it, one to drive the combine.

How many University of Saskatoon students does it take to change a light bulb?
    One ... but he has to wait until after harvest.

Oh and since I lived in So-Al for awhile:

How many University of Lethbridge students does it take to change a light bulb?
    Four ... one to change it, one to complain about the subterranean campus, and two to explain where Lethbridge is.

And just because I LOVE Lakehead...

How many Lakehead students does it take to change a light bulb?
    None ... Thunder Bay doesn't have electricity.

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 18, 2009

This is absolutely horrendous! I've never heard of a teacher doing lessons like this. And this person is a teacher?! Something is wrong w/ her way of thinking & I shudder to think how else she runs her class & the ways she does things in life in general.

She's not only crazy & stupid, but I'd say racist & stereotypical too.

The principal should be shown this by someone (not saying YOU) to let the entire staff know that this kind of humor is unprofessional & will not be tolerated. This teacher needs to be written up for not using good judgment.

32. NedTEFL

NedTEFL Rookie

Oct 18, 2009

Hi all,

Often there's a fine line between stereotype and humour, no? Hollywood play with these stereotypes in a similar way - we see the 'hitman' character 'getting out' at the beginning of the film and go looking for his money - it's the same stereotyped or generic situation that the writer of the jokes has cited. We recognise it.

I'm an English teacher in Barcelona. I don't teach maths and I wouldn't use these jokes if I were. What I might do is to use these in a discourse analysis class to try to examine with my students what the stereotypes are - to tease out what is offensive, hold it up to the light and see why. Is the situation referred to myth or reality? Are things so simple in real life? Where does what we imagine in our heads when we read the jokes come to us from - TV images or real life?

That could be interesting.

Chris

33. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2009

I don't think that this email constitutes a "fine line"....To me, this email is over the top, utterly offensive. It makes me almost physically ill to think about a teacher holding these beliefs about his/her students and thinking that this sort of thing is funny. This email perpetuates these stereotypes and just makes the problem worse.

I teach in an urban school with gangs, drugs, violence, and prostitution (not kidding). Students at my school already live in a world where certain behaviors and attitudes are socially accepted by their families and peers, despite the fact that those same behaviors would get them removed from society in most other settings. Any teacher who doesn't recognize that it's a problem to joke around about that sort of thing in this sort of way is a bad teacher who should not be a teacher, particularly if that person teaches in an urban school. (Yeah, I said it.)

34. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Oct 18, 2009

I agree, Cassie. We should be allowing kids to rise up from these stereotypes, and challenge these judgements by being better than them. It's sad someone found that humorous and would be okay with passing it on. I hope it stops circulating because all it does is enforce what people think.

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2009

Can you print it out, attach a note that this was sent on school email and drop anonymously in the P's mailbox?

At the very least, I'd go to the colleague who originated the email and warn him/her that school email is NOT PRIVATE and that such emails are not funny, that you do not welcome them and that s/he should use better judgement in the future.

36. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Oct 18, 2009

I find it impossible to believe this teacher considered this as problems to be used in class. Maybe she was trying to be funny or was making a statement about the sick environment some of the students we attempt to reach come from. I think it would be important to speak to her about her motives before we jump to any conclusions or run to the administration.

37. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2009

I agree that this email was meant to be funny and not meant to be actual math problems for students.

I don't think that it's likely that she was trying to make a statement about the students' environment. If that had been the case, I would expect there to be something even a little bit redeeming in the email...something somewhere that makes it clear that it's not the students that she's making fun of. As it is, I don't see that. All I see is a whole lot of racist, unfunny stuff.

Regardless of her motives (which I really think were just her trying to be funny), this email was inappropriate. As a grown up and as a professional educator, she should have had the sense to recognize that this was not appropriate under any circumstance.

38. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2009

I'm sure the person who originated this email DID NOT intend for it to be seen by students- just a poor choice and attempt at very tasteless humor. As I stated above, the very least that should be done is to address the email with the teacher who originated it. The administration WILL find out about it one way or another- school email is NOT private.

39. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 19, 2009

To be completely honest, I found it humorous, but it isn't something one should share will colleagues. It is something one should share with friends (who aren't teachers) and have a little laugh over.

40. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 19, 2009

What about it was funny to you?

41. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 19, 2009

The ridiculous stereotypes. Incredibly exaggerated stereotypes.