APLE grant. Anyone has any experience?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by joeschmoe, Nov 19, 2013.

1. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Nov 19, 2013

So I was nominated for this grant back in 2009 when I was an undergrad pursuing my credential. I obtained my credential in 2011. I didn't entirely forget about the APLE grant because it was always on the back of my mind. My assumption was that I had some reasonable grace period to complete my part of the deal. I mean I also got a TEACH grant and as long as I validated I'm still pursuing a full time teaching job to fulfill my obligation, they were okay with it.

As we all know, the education field has been rough the last few years. I did not land a full time teaching gig until this school year. I got an e-mail today that my APLE grant is withdrawn because I have not started to complete my required 4 years of teaching.

This is the exact reason they listed: N36 - Not providing eligible teaching service within the 24/36 month teaching requirement

I mean WTF. Don't they realize the circumstances?

i will give them a call tomorrow to see what I can do. But does anyone have any input?

3. creativemonster

creativemonster Cohort

Nov 19, 2013

Definitely talk to them. I lost part of my APLE grant because at some point - maybe it was third year of grant - forget - the administrator didn't send it in and nobody contacted me - the money just ...stopped. and it took a year before I got it reinstated and NO retroactive pay. But it still helped A LOT so do call and talk to them. And good luck.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 19, 2013

The APLE has been a pain to get going. I finally got my first payment this month. It scared me to death when they cut the funding immediately after I was nominated. Luckily it didn't apply to me. I would definitely definitely TRY to contact them. Every attempt I've made at contacting them has been fruitless, either having me on hold for hours, never letting the phone get to a place where I can be on hold or leave a message, and not answering my email for 6 MONTHS. LITERALLY.

And when they did answer it they called me Cindy or something (I'm a guy) and seemed to have the impression that I was a foreign language teacher. Still, it's worth the money, so do contact them.