apathetic interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by soldier86, May 9, 2012.

1. soldier86

soldier86 Rookie

May 9, 2012

So today I had an interview for a secondary social studies teacher position at a public charter school. Yesterday I went out and spent $120 buying a nice new shirt and tie to go with my suit. I spent the whole night going over my resume, my acheivements and the common core standards. I called my work and told them I would be running a little late today for personal reasons. I arrived at the school at 2:45 for a 3:00 interview. At 3:30 an unidentified man takes me to a back office and tells me to sit down. he never introduces himself he just takes a seat behind his desk. ( I am assuming he was the principal). Several minutes later a lady walks in shakes my hand and tells me her name but not her title. She is dressed extremely casual as though she just got back from the lake. The unidentified man did not have a tie on just a button up shirt that was wrinkled. The first several top buttons were undone and his chest was peaking out. They began by asking me very general questions about my resume my degree and so forth. Most of the questions had nothing to do with education. 5 minutes into the questioning some man (I am assuming another teacher) walks into the office and says he needs someone to cover hall duty and then walks out. A few more random questions are asked and then the lady gets up walks out and comes back a minute or two later. She comes back and asks me some other pointless questions. Mean while the man behind the desk is texting or emailing on his cellphone. They then switch rolls while he asks me if I was interested in being a teachers assistant while the lady is texting away. She then starts looking out the window and raising her arms up and around as though she is directing airplanes to land ( I assume she was signaling a friend that she would be out in a few minutes). She the gets up walks out and comes back a minute or two later. At this point they were down with their questioning . There were no questions on ciriculum no questions on experience no questions on teaching techniques. When it came time for me to ask questions I asked about the common core and other basic questions to which I got expressions of complete dumbfoundedness. The interview closed up with the man saying he would let me know in a few weeks if I made it to the next step. The whole interview was 20 minutes at most. I can assume I will never hear from them again. If these people care so little about the people applying for teaching positions I wonder just how much they care about their students. what a joke! No wonder why our educational system in the United States is in such need of repair. Apathetic people make apathetic teachers. As a new teacher going into the field I would never guess in my wildest imagination that I would be dealing with such unprofessional people.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 9, 2012

I'm sorry you had such a crummy experience. Count yourself lucky if you never hear from them again!!

4. soldier86

soldier86 Rookie

May 9, 2012

Thanks. At this point though I would take a job anywhere just so I can get a foot in the door. I had an interview last week that I am hoping to hear back from.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 9, 2012

Wow. Even if perhaps it was a matter of them interviewing you simply because they had to interview a certain number of applicants despite having already chosen the teacher, that's a rotten way to treat a visitor in the school!

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 9, 2012

Ahh...quite unfortunate. I had that once. To make matters worse, the school was well over two hours commute there and back...for them to just ask me a few rather useless questions and to then have me fill out a random piece of paper in a small room. Would you actually even consider an offer from such people? I guess it's better than them leading you on in some sense, but it would be even better if they just cancelled the interviews if they already had someone in mind.

7. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 9, 2012

That's upsetting. It could be that they had someone in mind, but needed to interview a specific # of candidates. Still, not an excuse for them...

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 9, 2012

That scene your describing with the peculiar behaviors is odd but the questions sound like they were part of a screening interview and for that 20 minutes is about right. I once interviewed with a principal who was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, even though it was summer it was still odd. Another time I had an interview at 3:00 and I arrived at 2:50. After seeing one person leave at 3:15 they took the person who was waiting before me then she finished about 3:45. Then I waited like an idiot until 4:30 presumably so they could eat dinner. During my wait I sat and listened to the secretary spending an hour on the phone chatting with a friend, then a relative, then the friend about the relative. I really wanted to leave while being ignored and to this day regret not doing so. This happened a few months ago for a 4th grade LTS position.

9. Miss Beazly

Miss Beazly Rookie

May 9, 2012

Unbelievable. I would have been very tempted to ask them if they always behaved so unprofessionally, and probably would have if I decided I didn't want the job.
    I haven't experienced this type of interview, but have subbed at schools where the teachers choice of dress has been appalling. I've seen stained and wrinkled shirts, shorts, flip flops and jeans cut so low you could see the butt crack. I am talking about public schools here.

10. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

May 10, 2012

I had one of these types of interviews where the person seemed to be thinking about other things and multitasking. I found out later it was a screening interview to be put into a pool of applicants.

I believe one of three things here...

1. It was a screening interview
    2. You were a 'filler' which means they have to legally interview 4-5 people, but already have someone in mind and you were the person who had to fill an interview slot to get through the process.
    3. They already knew they were gonna hire you and were simply going through the motions.

I hope it is option three :)

11. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

May 10, 2012

Perhaps not the appropriate reaction, but your story made me smile. I'm sure if the same thing happened to me, I would have had had a hard time hiding my look of incredulity.

12. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

May 10, 2012

Something similar happened to me last year! The school had me (and other candidates) waiting for over an HOUR after our scheduled interview times. My interview was less than 20 minutes long. Ironically, I attended a summer class the week after the interview, and came across one of said-school's English teachers. When I told him I had interviewed with his school, he said he was quitting his job, and told me not to take unprofessional behavior at the interview personally because "they always acted like that." Yikes!

Needless to say, I wasn't surprised to see a slew of openings for that particular school *this* hiring season. If they're rude to visitors, who knows how they treat staff and students. :/

13. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 10, 2012

This is why some charter schools should never be allowed to be open :( Sorry to hear about your crummy interview!

14. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 11, 2012

I have heard several of my friends say some not so nice things about how their interviews were handled at our local charter schools. Some say they had similar experiences to the one you had and others just say everyone seemed highly disinterested. Every one of my friends that worked for this particular charter all left within on year. Very sad to see schools run that way :(

15. soldier86

soldier86 Rookie

May 11, 2012

I told my neighbor about the interview. She is the one who wrote me a recomendation. Anyway, her friend works there as a teacher, so she decided to tell her friend about my experience. Appreantly that principal is infamous for treating teachers and people in general poorly. In the teacher's own words "he is an a**h***". She said there is a huge turn over rate for first year teachers . She is own her way out. So that teacher sent an anonymous email to the superintendent about his behavior during the interview. I already know I won't be getting a call back for a second interview so I think it is kind of funny she did that. Oh well, still hoping to hear back from a much better charter school. I had the interview last week I thought it went well. She said it would be a few days before I hear back. But they also have a career fair at the school tomorrow. So what I am hoping is I am still in the running and they are just waiting to see if they get any hits during the career fair and then they will make their decision. Does this seem likely or should I give up all hope?

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 11, 2012

Hmm, wonder if I interviewed with the same principal? :D I felt odd because I was dressed up! He ended up being one of my favorite Principals! He would also wear a t-shirt that had the sleeves cut off during beginning of the year PDs.

17. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 11, 2012

It's early in the hiring season. Don't give up hope!