Apartment Rant

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dgpiaffeteach, Aug 4, 2012.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 4, 2012

So I moved out of my apartment in early July. It was spotless when I moved out. To be honest it looked better than when I moved in. Now they want to charge me over $800 for new carpeting. I'm so angry. There was literally nothing wrong with it. It wasn't scratched, stained, etc... I paid a $125 deposit, which they obviously kept. I also paid a $300 deposit for my cat. That credit hasn't shown up anywhere on my bill??? What are they using that money for? I'm at my parents' house now so I can't reference my lease but I'm so upset right now.

Anyone ever fight charges like this before?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 4, 2012

Did you take pictures of the carpet before you left? That might help you fight the charges. I have had apartments come up with bogus reasons to not repay my deposit (like replacing drip pans on the stove for $8 each, when I had replaced them myself the day before the move, and trying to charge for extra cleaning on a spot on the carpet that was there when I moved in), but having documentation on my part has always gotten the charges removed.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 4, 2012

Unfortunately no pictures. A staff member came through and said everything looked fine the day I moved out.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2012

Can you get into contact with that staff member?

I'm sorry this is happening. :(

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2012

Did the person who did your move-out inspection give you any documentation saying that your apartment was fine? In the future, you need to ask for that.

Different states have different laws about apartment repairs and general maintenance. One apartment I lived in (in another state) charged me for painting all the walls and replacing all the carpet after I moved out. It ate up my entire deposit and I was really upset because I was expecting to get my deposit back and because I was broke and relying on that money. I went to my university's student legal department, and they told me that the landlord was allowed to charge for carpet and paint after each tenant, per state law. They did draft a letter to the landlord anyway, asking for a good faith refund of half my deposit based on the fact that my move-out inspection indicated that there was no damage. I ended up getting a little less than half my deposit back, probably only because the landlord didn't want to deal with me anymore.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2012

I don't live in an area with many apartments, so I'm limited in my knowledge. However, the friends I know who do live in apartments always do a walk-through with the manager who looks at the apartment after everything has been moved out.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 4, 2012

Sorry this is happening to you. I've read so many complaints about people not getting their deposit back plus getting charged extra upon moving out when they say the place was spotless, so I don't understand why it happens so much. I'll be facing move-out one day since currently, I'm living in my very 1st apt I just moved into 2 mos ago. So far, I've taken pics upon moving in w/ the leasing agent. I'll definitely take pics when I move out & do the walk-through with the leasing agent. My complex also uses a checklist for move-in & move-out in which they check off that something's in a certain condition both times. I hope I don't have problems.

Good luck with getting your money back!

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 4, 2012

Yes definitely know what I'm doing for my next apartment move out! We're going to draft a letter referencing a few different things and see how that pans out.

10. KateL

KateL Habitué

Aug 4, 2012

When we moved out of one rental house, the management company estimated that they would need $100 to fix it up, so they kept that part of our security deposit and gave back the rest. (The deposit was 1 month's rent, so it was like $800.) I was pretty annoyed at that, since we left the place in good condition, but whatever. Well, when they actually made the repairs, it cost them $600, so they sent us a bill for it. (Most of it was for landscaping in the backyard, which was dead before we even moved in because the sprinkler system was broken!) I just ignored it, since they already gave us back our security deposit, and nothing else ever happened. How much power does your management company have to actually get money from you?

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 4, 2012

I've moved out of apartments twice as the lease holder (several other times when I was just renting a room from someone) and neither time did I get the deposit back. The first time my landlord was incredibly unprofessional, so I knew I wouldn't be getting it back, but I cleaned and scrubbed the place up anyway. Still, no money back. She called it a "cleaning fee" though I have no clue what else she could have cleaned. The second place, they were in the middle of remodeling the entire complex, and our dog had eaten a hole in the floor, so we honestly just left the place messy. We didn't leave trash in it or anything, but we did leave it dirty. They were coming in behind us and stripping everything anyway, and we knew we weren't getting our deposit back.

12. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Aug 4, 2012

Last place we moved out I got an itemized list of charges before I moved out... giving me a chance to correct anything. THey were upfront with us though and basically said don't bother cleaning it because the company will just come through and clean it anyway.

But with the itemized list, we were happy with what they were doing, and got about 3/4 of the deposit back. (We did live there for three years, so by Ca law, they can't charge us for painting or carpets).

13. msaly

msaly Comrade

Aug 4, 2012

I've moved out of 3 places, each time I got my deposit back. I took pictures at move in and move out, and made each leasing agent or landlord sign a checklist or move out paper stating the apartment was in good shape and the deposit will be returned. One apartment complex signed the paper saying no damages, etc but when I got the deposit back, $20 was taken out for a new towel bar in the bathroom. It was dented when we moved in, and marked on the inspection sheet. (normally I probably would of let it go, but I needed the $20!) So I went into the leasing office showed the pictures I had taken and the move in/out inspection and told them I wanted the money back. She apologized and wrote me a check right then.

I would get in touch with the person who did the walk through, most places have the move out inspection paper, and they have to keep it on file. If she claimed no damage, you can fight the bill. I would also ask in the letter you drafted, what the $300 pet deposit is being used for.

14. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2012

I just moved out of my first apartment about two weeks ago, so idk about my deposit yet, but when looking at reviews for apartments in my new city, literally every single one (and I'm talking HUNDREDS of places- this is a big place!) had people complaining that the landlord used any and every excuse to get their deposit back. It was usually "cleaning" even though the apartment was left spotless. I am not expecting to get mine back at all and will be pleasantly surprised if I get anything- but I'm not counting on the money.

As for the pet deposit, make sure it was refundable. When I moved into my new place, I had to pay a $300 deposit for my pet, but only $75 of it is refundable.

You could try at least contacting the company and asking, but to try and get it back through the legal system I would think would cost you more money than just losing the deposit in the longrun. I think it's just something you have to accept as part of apartment living.

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 4, 2012

I would be totally fine if they kept the deposit and that was that. It's the other money I don't want to pay. The pet deposit was nonrefundable but was stated as being used for cleaning, specifically carpet, so I was thinking we should get at least partial credit!

We're going to call on Monday and find out exactly what they say is wrong and then draft a letter. It's unlikely they want to do small claims since they have to pay a lawyer and it is only $800. I'd just be happy to get it reduced. The carpet wasn't new when I moved in and wasn't great quality to begin with! Grrrr. I didn't have any problems at my old place. At least this new one is my last apartment. We're looking at buying next summer.

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 6, 2012

Update: We called today and they said they pulled back the carpeting and there's cat pee. My cat has NEVER peed on the carpeting. Don't you think that's something I'd have noticed?! She goes to my parents house every weekend and they have white carpeting. She's never peed there either. Or in my last apartment. Then we asked about the pet deposit. She said it's just a fee for the privilege of having a pet. It doesn't go to any sort of cleaning or repairs. WHAT A SCAM! I will NEVER rent from that management property again! They claim they have pictures, which I'm sure were taken at an apartment that did have cat pee. Or they were there from before since the carpeting wasn't replaced when I moved in.

I do feel better since pictures wouldn't have helped us since they claim they only saw it when they peeled back the carpeting.