Apa style paper

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mrachelle87, Dec 7, 2015.

1. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 7, 2015

Help! My son needs someone to read his research paper. It is in apa style and it is worth 750 out of 900 points in the class. The apa part is the biggest part.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 7, 2015

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    MetalTeacher and kpa1b2 like this.
  4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 7, 2015

Oh man, I haven't used APA since undergrad, so I'm worried that some of the formatting has changed since then. My school really pushes using MLA, because it is most commonly used by colleges in our area.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 8, 2015

I think newer versions of microsoft word have APA, MLA, and Chicago citation built in.

There's also NoodleTools Express

I used it during undergrad, it was pretty good a few years ago - hopefully they haven't changed it much.

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 8, 2015

Here is one of his questions...
    Most of the journal articles he has used came from digital sources. He doesn't have page number for them. When he sites them,he puts the name in parenthesis after the statement. It says to put a comma then page number.....but digital doesn't have a page number. So then what?

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 8, 2015

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/

Electronic Sources

If possible, cite an electronic document the same as any other document by using the author-date style.

Kenneth (2000) explained...
    Unknown Author and Unknown Date: If no author or date is given, use the title in your signal phrase or the first word or two of the title in the parentheses and use the abbreviation "n.d." (for "no date").

Another study of students and research decisions discovered that students succeeded with tutoring ("Tutoring and APA," n.d.).
    Sources Without Page Numbers
    When an electronic source lacks page numbers, you should try to include information that will help readers find the passage being cited. When an electronic document has numbered paragraphs, use the abbreviation "para." followed by the paragraph number (Hall, 2001, para. 5). If the paragraphs are not numbered and the document includes headings, provide the appropriate heading and specify the paragraph under that heading. Note that in some electronic sources, like Web pages, people can use the Find function in their browser to locate any passages you cite.

According to Smith (1997), ... (Mind over Matter section, para. 6).
    Note: Never use the page numbers of Web pages you print out; different computers print Web pages with different pagination.

Article from a Database
    Please note: APA states that including database information in citations is not necessary because databases change over time (p. 192). However, the OWL still includes information about databases for those users who need database information.

When referencing a print article obtained from an online database (such as a database in the library), provide appropriate print citation information (formatted just like a "normal" print citation would be for that type of work). By providing this information, you allow people to retrieve the print version if they do not have access to the database from which you retrieved the article. You can also include the item number or accession number or database URL at the end, but the APA manual says that this is not required.

If you are citing a database article that is available in other places, such as a journal or magazine, include the homepage's URL. You may have to do a web search of the article's title, author, etc. to find the URL.

For articles that are easily located, do not provide database information. If the article is difficult to locate, then you can provide database information. Only use retrieval dates if the source could change, such as Wikis. For more about citing articles retrieved from electronic databases, see pages 187-192 of the Publication Manual.

Author, A. A., & Author, B. B. (Date of publication). Title of article.Title of Journal, volume number, page range. Retrieved from http://www.someaddress.com/full/url/

Smyth, A. M., Parker, A. L., & Pease, D. L. (2002). A study of enjoyment of peas. Journal of Abnormal Eating, 8(3), 120-125. Retrieved from
    http://www.articlehomepage.com/full/url/

Electronic Books
    Electronic books may include books found on personal websites, databases, or even in audio form. Use the following format if the book you are using is only provided in a digital format or is difficult to find in print. If the work is not directly available online or must be purchased, use "Available from," rather than "Retrieved from," and point readers to where they can find it. For books available in print form and electronic form, include the publish date in parentheses after the author's name. For references to e-book editions, be sure to include the type and version of e-book you are referencing (e.g., "[Kindle DX version]"). If DOIs are available, provide them at the end of the reference.

De Huff, E. W. (n.d.). Taytay’s tales: Traditional Pueblo Indian tales. Retrieved from http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/dehuff/taytay/taytay.html

Davis, J. (n.d.). Familiar birdsongs of the Northwest. Available from http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio? inkey=1-9780931686108-0

Online Forum or Discussion Board Posting
    Include the title of the message, and the URL of the newsgroup or discussion board. Please note that titles for items in online communities (e.g. blogs, newsgroups, forums) are not italicized. If the author's name is not available, provide the screen name. Place identifiers like post or message numbers, if available, in brackets. If available, provide the URL where the message is archived (e.g. "Message posted to..., archived at...").

Frook, B. D. (1999, July 23). New inventions in the cyberworld of toylandia [Msg 25]. Message posted to http://groups.earthlink.com/forum/messages/00025.html

Blog (Weblog) and Video Blog Post
    Include the title of the message and the URL. Please note that titles for items in online communities (e.g. blogs, newsgroups, forums) are not italicized. If the author’s name is not available, provide the screen name.

J Dean. (2008, May 7). When the self emerges: Is that me in the mirror? [Web log comment]. Retrieved from http://www.spring.org.uk/the1sttransport

Psychology Video Blog #3 [Video file]. Retrieved from

Wikis
    Please note that the APA Style Guide to Electronic References warns writers that wikis (like Wikipedia, for example) are collaborative projects that cannot guarantee the verifiability or expertise of their entries.

OLPC Peru/Arahuay. (n.d.). Retrieved April 29, 2011 from the OLPC Wiki: http://wiki.laptop. org/go/OLPC_Peru/Arahuay

Audio Podcast
    For all podcasts, provide as much information as possible; not all of the following information will be available. Possible addition identifiers may include Producer, Director, etc.

Bell, T., & Phillips, T. (2008, May 6). A solar flare. Science @ NASA Podcast. Podcast retrieved from http://science.nasa.gov/podcast.htm

Video Podcasts
    For all podcasts, provide as much information as possible; not all of the following information will be available. Possible addition identifiers may include Producer, Director, etc.

Scott, D. (Producer). (2007, January 5). The community college classroom [Episode 7]. Adventures in Education. Podcast retrieved from http://www.adveeducation.com

For more help with citing electronic sources, please use these links:

MetalTeacher likes this.
  8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2015

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 8, 2015

I am not really worried about the works sited page...it is the in paper siting I am concerned about and so is he.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 9, 2015

From what I remember from my APA style papers, for in text citation that I couldn't find a page number for, I would do (Smith, 2010).

To try to find the page number, try googling the name of the article (or the doi #) and you might be able to find it on another site, which could provide the page numbers of the article - also, if it lets you download the article in .pdf format - that may also show the page numbers. That usually did the trick for me.

11. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Dec 13, 2015

If he is using articles, scholar.google.com is great. Below the abstact of the link (on the scholar.google page), there is a "cite" option. You will see options such as "cited by", "related articles". Click on 'Cite' (NOT Cite by) and he can copy and paste the citation right to his bibliography as it is done for you :)

12. Parasello

Parasello New Member

Feb 28, 2018

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2018

The paper in question was written more than 2 years ago.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 1, 2018