AP World History

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Tim8758, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Tim8758

Tim8758 Guest

Apr 1, 2016

Hello All,

I am a first year teacher for US History and Economics. I teach both regular and honors. I've been asked if I want to teach AP World History next year, and I'm a bit hesitant. I am definitely not as comfortable with the world curriculum and would hate to get pigeon-holed into just teaching a subject I am not a big fan of. Has this happened to any of you? What should I do? Who should I talk to? I also don't know if I am even comfortable enough with my current classes to be adding in an Advanced Placement course that I'm not as familiar with. Am I over thinking or reacting to this? Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks family!

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 2, 2016

Will you get to go to an AP academy over the summer?

If you are in a small school, you might get stuck teaching that class for many years, especially if they spend money on your training.

But on the other hand, teaching an AP class looks great on a resume.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  4. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Apr 2, 2016

If your not crazy about World History as a subject, I wouldn't recommend it.
    I'm teaching AP US for the first time this year. I have taught world, civics, and US in the past. My content knowledge for US was definitely the strongest and world was the weakest. That said I have had to study quite a bit for the AP US class this year and it has taken a significant amount of time. If I had to do AP world I bet it would be even more as the class is a lot broader in scope.

Since your already teaching honors you know that you will get the best kids for the AP classes, that was the plus in my opinion. The downside has been the extra burden in preparation and grading(essays).