AP workshops?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by dgpiaffeteach, Jul 9, 2012.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 9, 2012

Hi, all, I just found out I'll be teaching AP Lit this year. I missed the workshop offered by ODE. The only other options I can find are four day workshops, which are way, way out of my budget. I was wondering if there are any other options like an online workshop?

Thanks!

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 9, 2012

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 9, 2012

Thanks, Mathemagician. Unfortunately when I looked earlier today there was nothing left in Ohio for the summer and the only online ones were more specific, not just general to the course.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 9, 2012

My district pays for teachers to attend AP workshops.

6. cakencookies

cakencookies Rookie

Jul 9, 2012

Your school should pay for the training. All of the workshops I have been to are typically four days long and if you are new to the whole business this length is helpful, if not necessary for you to know what to do. You also get many valuable resources and books which I used the heck out of when I taught it. If you can definitely try to get into a training!

7. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jul 9, 2012

I was going to recommend at least signing up for the English Lit AP Community message boards, but it looks like they don't have the board for that subject up and going yet. There is a link to their old message board at the bottom of this website, though: http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/courses/teachers_corner/2124.html You can't access the message boards without registering, so I can't see what's there, but the AP Biology one is a great resource.

I agree with going to one of the 4-day workshops if you can. My district wouldn't pay for it either, so you're not alone in that. I did get a scholarship from the College Board to pay for mine, but I had to apply for it way back in February. That really stinks that your district put this on you at the last minute and won't help you train for it!

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 9, 2012

I actually haven't heard yet if they'll cover the costs. I just know I definitely can't! The closest one is 6+ hours away so I'd have to get a hotel room too for at least four nights. I'm hoping they can pay for most of it! I just want other options in case :)

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 9, 2012

I thought a teacher had to be AP trained to teach the courses. I know when my daughter student-taught, the one period she didn't teach was AP Government. Maybe that argument will help your district cough up the dough.

10. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2012

You do not have to attend a workshop to teach an AP class but it helps out. You do have to follow their rules regarding curriculum and they have to approve the syllabus for your course for it to be considered an AP course. You also have to teach from a college level textbook that is approved by them. For science, you also have to have a certain percentage of your course devoted to labs.o

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 9, 2012

Tangent: I didn't realize for sciences that a certain percentage had to be devoted to labs. I never really thought about it!

/Tangent.

The teacher who retired left me all her material. The only thing I can't find ironically is a copy of the syllabus, which I know had to be approved so it's got to be there somewhere! One of the novels she's taught is The Things They Carried, which is one of my favorites besides TKAM.

12. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Jul 10, 2012

If you truly can't get to one of the 4-day workshops, becuase of the cost (my state pays for it, as well as the hotel - with my distric giving me a stipened), then you could check out who is teaching the workshop and email them for advice, etc.

I know many of the social studies workshop leaders are happy to help anyone and hare their resource materials (many of them have their resources digitally stored on flash drives and share them with the teachers taking the class). Every instructor I've met encourages us to share the resources with other teachers we know.