AP US History Textbook(s)

Discussion in 'High School' started by Brendan, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 17, 2008

We are in the process of finding new textbooks for our AP US class and we currently use the American as our primary text along with various other textbooks, websites, articles, primary sources, and teacher created readings. What do you other APUSH history teachers use for textbooks and readings and how do you implement them in your class?

3. obro

obro Rookie

Jan 17, 2008

I use American Passages as the text for my class. The students keep it at home and outline most chapters for HW. I also assign readings from Portrait of America ( two volumes). There are 8-12 page readings on figures like Sam Houston or Sitting Bull and selections about common life during certain periods. I just assigned "How the Other Half Lived" about poorer people during the time of Carnegie and Rockefeller. When these are due we use a period or less to discuss the article and I usually give a quick 5 point quiz to make sure no one is dogging it. Finally I also use short excerpts from the internet and another book whose name escapes me right now(Its at school). The book has quarter page bits from contemporary accounts. I like it for do nows or to break up the endless notes i find myself giving.

4. LI Teach 99

LI Teach 99 Rookie

Jan 18, 2008

We use the American Pageant. It has the needed information, and corny jokes, but students find it rather boring to read; it's more of a narrative with massive amounts of metaphors. But it's an AP class so that shouldn't really matter (as long as the info is there).