AP English students in class with regular English

Discussion in 'High School' started by Mrs. H2O, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Mrs. H2O

Mrs. H2O Rookie

Aug 12, 2011

I am teaching three sections of English II this year. At my school, the AP students are in the same class as everyone else, so I have one block of students in which we have a handful of those who want to take the AP version of the course. And I have a second block of students (the following hour and a half) in which the majority of the class wants to take the AP version.

Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Any ideas on how to format the class/differentiate assignments for the AP kids?

I do not want to just give AP kids more work because they finish the regular assignment quickly. I want to give them something more challanging.

Right now, at the beginning of the year, I'm doing basic assessments and will start an essay writing section next week. I'm following that up with a short story unit.

Thank you for your help!

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 12, 2011

Do you have a syllabus approved by the college board? Is this AP Lit or AP Comp? This sounds very confusing to me. There is NO way I could have a US History class with some reg US students and APUSH students and teach the course the same way. Have you done this before?

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 12, 2011

Yeah, make sure you aren't calling the course "AP" if the syllabus isn't approved by the College Board. You could be sued. They will do it, because they keep pretty strict quality control on AP courses.

I teach two different phases of one course at the same time. I have enriched and general. I just give enriched different projects to do, and they read more advances material than general. They mostly learn the same stuff though, but show me they know it in different ways.

5. KateL

KateL Habitué

Aug 12, 2011

In my senior year of high school, the master schedule worked out so that AP Chem and AP English were scheduled at the same time. There were several of us who wanted to take both, so the school decided to enroll us in AP Chem and have us do AP English as an independent study, since we couldn't do the chem labs independently, but we could do reading and writing on our own with teacher feedback later. The English teacher wasn't happy, but she gave us our assignments every day and graded our work each week. All of us who did this earned a 5 on the AP English test. So it would definitely be possible to give the AP students independent work for the most part and conference with them once a week or so while the rest of your class works independently. If the AP students are self-motivated enough, they should be fine. I would make sure to have the parents on board with this plan, though.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 12, 2011

KateL ~ this doesn't sound like what nightowl would be doing

Nightowl ~ do you students plan on taking the AP test? Have you taught AP Lit or AP comp before?

7. KateL

KateL Habitué

Aug 12, 2011

But nightowl could split the classroom into two sections and have the AP half of the room work more independently.

8. Mrs. H2O

Mrs. H2O Rookie

Aug 12, 2011

I'm sorry for the confusion. It is NOT AP English, but accelerated English.

This is my first year teaching. I'm just looking for some ideas about how to accelerate my lessons for the accelerated students, who are in the same classroom as the regular students.

Thank you all very much!

9. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Aug 12, 2011

Is accelerated English an actual class, or are they just more advanced students?

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 12, 2011

I'm sorry I don't really have any ideas, but I think I can clear up some confusion here...since it's called English II, I'm assuming this is a sophomore level class. So by "AP students" I assume the OP means that these students will eventually want to be enrolled in the AP class/take the AP exam their senior year. Right now, they're just on the "AP track." Could be wrong, but that's how I took it. That's how my high school was set up. My freshman-junior level classes were called "AP" just meaning that they were advanced/getting us ready for that AP class/test senior year.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2011

In foreign language classes it's extremely common to place AP students and regular students in the same section. It's not ideal, but it's sometimes the only option for schools that want to offer AP but can't justify smaller classes (like mine).

My AP students do a lot of independent work outside of class. They get virtually no in-class time for work that I know they can handle on their own. The time they spend in class is spent doing practice essays, scansion (something specific to my subject area), sight translating, critical responses and discussions with each other, and extension activities like researching other versions of the stories that they're reading in class.

Basically, my AP students don't do anything that my regular students do. It's a completely separate curriculum. AP and regular students sit in the same room together at the same time but they're not in the same class, if that makes sense. Is it way more work for me? Absolutely. Does it require a high degree of organization and motivation on the part of the student? Absolutely.

Edit: After re-reading the thread I notice that the students aren't really AP students but accelerated. In that case I'd probably keep them on the same general curriculum but I'd add in a lot more critical thinking components, reasoning, discussion, essays...basically anything that's going to get them better able to think and talk about the material. The focus for them shouldn't be on stuff that you as the teacher produce (like worksheets and guided notes and study questions) but on stuff that they produce. Throw in some novels of choice, selected by the students themselves.