AP courses?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by dgpiaffeteach, Jun 21, 2014.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 21, 2014

Just curious what AP courses you offer and what they're like?

We only offer three-English Lang, US History, and Stats/Calc depending on the year. Class sizes are small. Next year I'll have 8 and that's big. I had three this year and only one took the test. We are a very small school. Only about 25 seniors are in our building. The rest are at our career program or post-secondary.

I like it because it's more lax. I get the experience without the pressure.

3. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 21, 2014

We offer about 25 AP courses. There are multiple periods of many of the courses. Most class sizes are 25+ students in each period of the course. There are multiple period per teacher for some of the AP courses. AP Lang, AP Lit, AP Calc, etc all have multiple teachers teaching multiple periods of the course.

The district pays for the test and will only give the GPA bump if the exam is taken. Overall we have a pretty good 3+ percentage.

The teachers try to coordinate the required work such that one teacher isn't giving much more work than another, but in some courses, such as AP Lit, some different novels are selected so that there are variations between the classes.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 22, 2014

We have three high schools here--all offer an extensive list of AP courses.

Senior year, I took three AP classes: Spanish, English, and Government.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2014

We have about a million AP courses at my school. Honestly, I think that we offer too many, and I think that many of the students who enroll in AP courses at my school aren't qualified to do so.

I took many AP classes when I was a high school student, starting as a 10th grader. My senior year I took 4 AP classes plus Latin IV (which wasn't offered as an AP course at my school). My school required us to take one study hall for every AP course we took. I had to get a special waiver so that I could take 4 AP classes with only 3 study halls, because I really wanted (needed, had to have, couldn't live without) that Latin IV class. Worth it. :)

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 22, 2014

Wow. Our school only relented this year to allow a study hall, but only if you had 2 or more AP classes. Prior to that you filled up your schedule with TAing, which meant you were busy on work for a teacher but not homework for yourself, or additional courses that ranged from electives to advanced math and sciences.

I like the idea of study halls for AP students.

7. Glühwürmchen

Glühwürmchen Rookie

Jun 22, 2014

They offered every AP course at my school except for Macroeconomics, Italian, Japanese and Spanish Literature (though they're trying to start Spanish Lit - no interest). There's also the IB program which is sometimes separate and sometimes mixed with AP.

I took a lot of AP courses. 11-12 I think beginning in 9th grade with World History. It's not required to take the exam, and you have to pay for it yourself. I'd say that 50-90% takes the exam depending on the subject, and I've heard that the overall pass rate is about 70%. They're weighted 1.125 if you don't take the exam and 1.13 if you do. Also, around 40-50% of the class takes an AP/IB/Honors course at some point. Most kids in the top 10% take 4-5 high level courses each year. This is a public HS btw.

For AP English specifically, they're not as popular because they're the most time-heavy. There's 2-4 books as summer reading each year.

8. Splasher

Splasher Rookie

Jun 22, 2014

We have study halls, but they are in the cafeteria or auditorium for the most part. Very little studying occurs. Kids chat, play on phones, etc., but very rarely do they "study".

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2014

I do, too.

At my school we had the option of "open study hall" with parent permission and admin approval--basically open campus, we didn't have to check in anywhere, we could leave campus if we wanted to, etc. I normally spent my study halls chatting online with far-away friends or, sometimes, writing papers in the lab or reading in the library. Sometimes I went down the street to a coffee shop just to get away from other people for a while.

Having time to study is one perk of mandatory study halls. Another perk is just not having another class to study for, leaving more time to focus on the AP classes.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 22, 2014

Most of our kids taking AP/Honors classes don't have a study hall. However, about half are taking PSEO so they get free time. We also have a built in 30 minute study hall for all students and an intervention period where kids who aren't requested by a teacher can go to many options including silent study hall or group study hall.

That's funny about kids not taking AP English because of the summer reading. Every student grades 7-12 has at least one book to read over the summer. Adv. 11, Adv. 12, and AP all have two total.

11. Glühwürmchen

Glühwürmchen Rookie

Jun 22, 2014

Well, the reading is one thing. It's the 70 pages of journaling, essays, etc. that tended to get to people :lol:

12. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2014

We do not offer any AP classes (small private school) but this year are offering Dual Enrollment Chemistry as a trial. If it works out well then in the 2015-2016 school year will add Biology and Calculus DE. We decided to go with DE instead of AP because they are more likely to get college credit for the course. I taught Biology AP with the new test and the new test is ridiculous and is hard to get a high enough score for college credit. Also our students are so involved in out of school activities that the amount of outside of class needed is almost out of the question and my principal will not do study halls.

13. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 22, 2014

Our high school doesn't have any AP courses. We do have post-secondary, where students attend college classes for dual credit.

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 22, 2014

Lol that makes sense. Our two senior classes both have writing required, so it's not as big of a deal though AP has a more formal essay and Adv. just has journals.

15. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2014

We offer one officially - AP Lit/Composition. It's a joke.

We put the word "Honors" in front of a lot of classes and weigh the kids GPAs for taking these classes.

16. TheGr8Catsby

TheGr8Catsby Rookie

Jul 13, 2014

AP Courses

I am an elementary education major, but I'm also a recent high school graduate. This is what was offered when I was there:

Sophomores:
    AP European History (I took this as a junior because it wasn't offered when I was a sophomore).

Juniors:
    AP US History
    AP English Language

Seniors:
    AP English Lit
    AP US GoPo
    AP Biology
    AP Calculus AB
    AP Statistics (wasn't offered my senior year because the qualified teacher left).

Not many took the senior AP courses because seniors typically did dual enrollment at the community college next door. I DID take AP Gov, though.