AP Classes??

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by SportsJunkie25, May 14, 2009.

1. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

May 14, 2009

Hello!

Warning: Over-achiever post :)D) so it's full of quite a few questions.

Can a new teacher teach AP classes? If not, how does the school go about choosing who teaches AP classes? Is it on a volunteer basis or are there certain performance requirements? Also, do AP teachers get paid more?

I'm still in teaching-decision mode but I'm leaning towards yes...and I'm pretty sure I would be interested in teaching AP classes.

Also, does anyone know how one would go about becoming the Department Chair? (I.e. Science Dept Chair) Do they get paid more or is it just an interest thing? And, last but not least, how does the school go about choosing a Dept Chair?

This was kind of long but most of my friends are 1st or 2nd year teachers and they don't know the answers to these questions. Thank you!

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 14, 2009

Hope this helps - AP classes are great. I currently teach AP Euro and APUSH. These classes require a lot of prep because what students are tested over can not be found in only one textbook. I have to use multiple sources to teach these subjects. I love my AP classes and wish I could teach more of them.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 14, 2009

AP classes can be taught by any teacher, regardless of experience, provided that the teacher's syllabus is approved by the College Board. I think the teacher also needs to attend an AP certification course, but they might have a few years to do that.

Selection of a DC depends on the school and district. In our school, the DC position is a volunteer position and does not pay more than any other teaching position.

5. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

May 14, 2009

LOL.....I wish I could help you. But the closest thing to an AP student in my classes is anyone who DOESN'T eat paste or paint chips off of the wall. (LOL)

6. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

May 14, 2009

LOL. I'm sure you're aware of this but you seem like you REALLY hate being a teacher. Why do you continue to teach? Can't you find something else to do? Fyi - I know what it feels like to hate a career *shivers*

To everyone the other posters, thanks...