AOL users - are you getting forum notifications?

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & FAQ' started by Amanda, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jun 27, 2006

I've had some complaints lately from AOL users who are trying to sign up for the forums that never receive the activation email. I assume AOL is blocking it, but I wonder if they are blocking all email from the forum now?

I have an agreement with AOL that allows me to be notified when someone reports a message as spam. There was one last week, and since then I have noticed the complaints. I am trying to figure out if there is a correlation. If there is a problem, I need to contact AOL to see if they can remove the block.

Just for clarification, this would be ONLY email that comes from the forum email server. Each server has its own priveleges for sending email to AOL, so some can be blocked while others get through.

--------------------
    On a side note, the forum WILL NOT send you email messages if you do not want them. You have complete control in your User CP. Please go there to adjust your settings:
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/usercp.php

If you report messages as spam, it affects other users' ability to receive messages.
    --------------------

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 27, 2006

I've gotten notifications about PM's through my AOL mail lately. I think the last one was Sunday, but I haven't missed any notifications that I should have gotten.

4. Amanda

Jun 27, 2006

Okay, maybe it is only blocking the activation email then. :confused:

Do you have an option with AOL email to put email addresses on a sort of "safe list" so mail gets through as long as that email address is on the list? Can you briefly explain so I can pass it onto AOL users who don't know about it and have these types of issues as a result? Also, does AOL have a spam folder where some messages are sent? If so, what is it called? Is there an option in it to tell AOL that the message is not spam (so that clicking it might help AOL make their filter smarter?)

:thanks:

5. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Jun 27, 2006

I've been getting VERY little e-mail from AtoZ lately. I wondered what was wrong since I've subscribed to many threads. AOL does have a SPAM folder and I can go there and see what is there and report it or click "This is not Spam". However, nothing has been in there from AtoZ either. We can make sure that AtoZ is in our address book and that the settings will allow mail from address book entries.

6. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Jun 27, 2006

Okay, having to eat my words. Up until TODAY, I've gotten little e-mail. Today I got 5 from AtoZ. I've made sure that it is in my address book. AOL must not be blocking all e-mail.

7. Amanda

Jun 27, 2006

Thanks for the additional info. I figured there was a spam folder, but every time I've mentioned it to someone they didn't know what I was talking about.

8. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Jun 28, 2006

The spam folder on AOL is a VERY TINY little link at the bottom near the read button on the new mail screen. It just says Spam Folder and has a number beside it such as (1) meaning 1 spam mail is in there. You click the link to go to the folder. Lots of people on AOL overlook it because it is such a small link. I think I'm getting all the mail I should be getting. :)

9. Amanda

Jun 28, 2006

Thanks for letting me know. No wonder some people don't even know it's there.

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2006

Amanda,

Just thought I would let you know that for a while I wasn't getting any email either. I use Gmail for my Ato Z stuff. Although the problems seems to have been cleared up because I am getting all the threads that I am subscribed to now.

11. Amanda

Jun 29, 2006

Thanks for the info - gmail is one I've seen go back and forth... They generally do not filter the email, and if they do, it should go to the spam folder. If an email goes to your spam folder, be sure to click the "Not Spam" button so their filter will become more accurate. In contrast, AOL is a company that may put a complete block in place rather than filtering it to a spam folder... simply because a lot of mail is being sent. I have to contact them in order to remove the block.