Anything positive?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by amethyst, Nov 26, 2008.

1. amethyst

amethyst Companion

Nov 26, 2008

Is there anyone here who really loves their job? I am considering going into teaching, which is what I originally majored in in college, so I have a good idea of what I'm getting into.

I hear a lot about disrespect, parents who don't care, administrative stuff, overcrowded classrooms and unsupportive principals. Oh, and how impossible it is to even find a job.

So, I'm wondering, is it really ALL bad? Does anyone love their job? Does anyone have anything good to say about teaching?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 26, 2008

I LOVE my job.

But this isn't a good time to rave about it.

4. maroki

maroki Comrade

Nov 26, 2008

I love my job also. However, I have experienced all the things you mentioned in your post, so it definitely isn't without tough times. Even through those times though, I've never doubted I love teaching; most of those times it was the circumstances I was teaching in that I didn't love.

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Nov 26, 2008

I LOVE teaching...sometimes what comes with it is no fun, but I think you will find that with any job

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 26, 2008

I love my job! It's not easy, I work A LOT (last week we had conferences and I put in over 70 hours-getting paid for only 40, of course), and I can barely make ends meet financially, but I still love it. I'm fortunate enough to have an awesome principal, a great room full of students, and wonderful parents who are begging to help in my classroom. I really can't imagine doing anything else! It's fun and, although you have routines, every day is different.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 26, 2008

Oh, and as far as finding a job is concerned, that isn't really a lot of fun. I applied for 38 jobs this past summer, was interviewed for 4, and received 3 offers. It's a lot of work to find a job, but if you really put yourself out there you'll find something.

8. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Nov 26, 2008

I agree.. it definitly isn' without its tuff times..

But there is nothing else I would rather be doing.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 27, 2008

Teaching, like any other profession, has its ups and downs. Yes, there are problems, but if you ask me, those are FAR outweighed by the positives. I still get a kick out of the fact that I actually get paid to do something I love so much. I work in the inner city and have more than my fair share of problems, but I still wake up in the mornings excited to get to work.

10. Ross

Ross Comrade

Nov 27, 2008

Before I retired, I had what I considered one of the most exciting jobs in the world. A job with prestige, challenges, and good benefits.

Yet there was constant whining about management, lousy bosses, difficulties with fellow workers, and unacceptable working conditions.

When all of the external factors were eliminated, I choose my profession because it was what I loved to do. That is what gave me satisfaction. I tried every day to improve. I constantly learning, even up to the last day of my job.

So it is not all bad. Most of what I have read hear indicates teachers do love their jobs. I have read wonderful posts about the inspiring results of teaching.

But forget about us for a moment, is teaching a passion for you? Will you get an enormous sense of joy when you have reached a child and made a difference in their life? If so, welcome to teaching.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 27, 2008

Ross, I like your style.

12. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Nov 27, 2008

Name another job where you have the ability to influence so many people's lives. I have met many great students who were polite,hard working,caring and respectful. I am proud to be their teacher.
    Of course there are bad days and difficult children to deal with,but when you add up all the good and bad,it is well worth it!

13. Sheba

Sheba Companion

Nov 27, 2008

I love my job enormously, too. However, things vary so much from school to school. Without doubt the single biggest factor is the support you get from your school. But there are sooooo many variables: the type of students at your school, their age level, what subject you teach and your aptitude for teaching it, your co-workers, the resources you have, etc. There are so many subjects you could teach to so many types of students at so many schools around the world that if you have any passion for teaching somewhere in the world there is a teaching job that must be perfect for you. Good luck in finding it.

14. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2008

I love to teach, it is the most interesting and entertaining job I have ever had. I have worked in education for 12 years with 8 of them having my own classroom and I haven't been bored yet. It can be stressful and I have had difficult parents, administration, and students to deal with at times. It has ups and downs but the longer I have done it the more I have liked it.

15. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Dec 4, 2008

I absolutely love my job. I can't believe I get paid to come here everyday and inspire children to learn about the arts.

16. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 4, 2008

I love my job. I used to work in television and get paid obscene amounts of money. When I had a family (and when my contacts in TV dried up) I chose to stay home and freelance, but that was extremely frustrating. Choosing to go back to school and get my credential was the best decision I could have made. I work every day with young people who are about to head out into the world of college, and I love helping to "launch" them. It helps that I work in a relatively affluent area and don't have many of the behavioral or administrative issues others have to deal with.

17. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2008

Teaching is a very rewarding job. I teach 1st grade and it is remarkable to see their minds grow. The come in with very little knowledge and the live out as lil' scholars. I could not see myself doing another thing. There is a lot work for those who want to be effective teachers. You have to be willing to give of your time, especially in the beginning years or when a new program is implemented.

18. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Dec 7, 2008

I'm madly, passionately, painfully in love with my job. :)

Kelly

19. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 7, 2008

I *heart* teaching! There is NO other profession I can envision myself doing (except maybe a Broadway star... but that's not happening anytime soon :lol:) Yes- there are many negatives but there are in any profession. The good out weighs for the bad for me.

20. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 7, 2008

I love teaching and wouldn't change it for the world!

I've run into "all of the above" issues that a lot of the teachers have mentioned BUT my mind is made up....:thumb:
    POSITIVE ATTITUDE & SENSE OF HUMOR are BIGGIES for me!:lol:
    I LAUGH A LOT & I make the children laugh a lot. When they are laughing and having fun, learning comes easy and my job's easier.
    LAUGHTER is good because it helps us fight off diseases or stress.
    We, teachers need to do some MAJOR LAUGHING, all the time!
    I MAKE LEARNING FUN! A lot of Teachers FORGET to have fun!
    If I can make a BIG POSITIVE difference is a lot of children's lives, then TEACHING is my "THING".:)
    To me, TEACHING is a playground. IF I know how to be happy, learn, play fair, share, have fun, be cool and can teach the children the right way at school THEN I am definitely in the right yard.
    Children are miracles that can take our breath away.
    If you also have the patience, love, enthusiasm, time and the support of your family and friends, then TEACHING is your THING. Sometimes with circumstances beyond our control, a lot of us teachers lose the "UMPH" or JOY in teaching. That is a when a vacation is due, a load of comedy watching, and a reload of the GREAT STUFF" that helped us pick TEACHING as our CAREERS.
    I will continue to teach & along the way I will use what can MAKE me and get rid of what can BREAK me! :cool:
    Laugh a lot,:lol:
    Rebel1

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 8, 2008

It's taken me years to finally have my own classroom and I never want to let down my kids. Yes, the paperwork and politics are mind-blowing, but one positive interaction with a student puts that into perspective.