Anything neat you do for Meet the Teacher/Open House for grades 3-5?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 18, 2009

Just curious if you do anything creative. I was looking at the Kindergarten post in General Ed. and thought about the higher grades. I really have never done anything creative, but I let the students explore my classroom website and look at the classroom library/math and science areas a bit. They enjoy that much. I'm interested to see what others have to say, though.

3. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 18, 2009

A 4th grade teacher at my school once created a video slideshow of previous students & activities throughout the year and had it looping on a TV in the hallway, she also might have done this at PT conferences, so there is something to watch while you waited.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 18, 2009

Mine don't have to wait before Meet the Teacher, but they do on conference night in October. We don't have a TV in the hallway, yet I believe we will in the future from what I've gathered over time.

5. breneem

breneem Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

We, as a grade level, buy cookies & set them out for parents & siblings, always a big hit!!!

6. Irma

Irma Companion

Jul 18, 2009

We do a scavenger hunt

7. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 18, 2009

We don't do anything special for our meet the teacher time, they only have 30 minutes so just getting everyone in, giving them any paperwork that needs to be filled out, having them sign up for our online feed to our blogs...that takes the entire time.

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 18, 2009

What do you do with online feeds to your weblog? Curious. :)

9. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 18, 2009

This is a great idea. I'll have to suggest cookies to my team and those delicious bite size brownies.

10. caslan

caslan Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

I created a "first days of school ppt (which, I just realized is on my dead laptop... grrrr... I guess I get to make it again).. I have a ceiling mounted projector, so I just timed the slides and looped it for the parents to watch (or not) as they came in. It includes a little about me and my classroom expectations...

11. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 18, 2009

I have the same set-up, so I do a PPT that describes me, my expectations, overview of all subjects, state tests, etc.

12. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 18, 2009

Our school system uses blogs instead of web pages. I update mine weekly instead of newsletters. They are set up with an RSS feed, so that once parents sign up, they get an email every time my blog is updated. The email has the actual blog message, so no one can say they didn't know about something in my class. Last year I made sure that every parent signed up with at least one email address, many of them signed up at home and work so they were sure to get my blogs.

13. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 18, 2009

I do this for open house (the 2nd week of school) but not for Meet and Greet.

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2009

I work hard to get them out of my room as fast as they come in. One year I stayed in the hallway selling agendas. (Okay, I'm fibbing. I just wanted to.)

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 18, 2009

Mine stay a while. I enjoy having them around... I've had some families stay as long as 30 or 40 minutes for Meet the Teacher, but I enjoy getting to know the families that much more. :)

Fibbing is fun... :lol:

16. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 18, 2009

For open house we do a day in the life of a fifth grader. The parents get a brief lesson in all subjects.

17. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 18, 2009

I always do a picture slide show of different book reports, projects, field trips, and some group work things to play during our open house. Parents are able to come and go as they please and this way even if I don't speak to every parent they typically see a portion of what we do.

I also place on each desk for parents to take a tri-fold brochure of with an overview of the most important things to remember about my room and policies. I have found parents tend to forget the vast amount of paper work they read in the first week or two and this is a way to really help clarify it all.

18. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 18, 2009

I usually do a video using photos of the current students. I just show them in action the first few days of school. I show them in special areas and will people throughout the school like the principal, assistant P, guidance, etc. Parents love to see their kiddos and it really makes my explanation of what happens in grade 3 easy. Say it with pictures.:)

19. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 19, 2009

I haven't done anything in the past, but this year I will do a ppt on my new projector!:haha:

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 19, 2009

I'm not solid yet on what the year will look like or the important policies. The idea of getting up in front of the parents for this doesn't inspire me. I'm sure my co-teacher will have some things to add but she is new to the grade level to (but not new to teaching like me). She isn't the most creative though and I'm not sure how in depth she will be. I need parents to be wowed. I'm just clueless as to how to go about doing it. The best meet the teacher I've ever been to for my own kids was when a teacher was passionately marketing all the cool things he had planned for the year and how it applied to the curriculum, the progression of it and what he has noticed about kids during those projects. I wanted to join his class. I'm not even close to knowing what the year will look like.

21. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2009

We have a registration day the Thursday before our students start (the following Monday). I have to have them sign certain items and paperwork. But I also send home a packet of my classroom policies, rules, expectations, brief explanation of what we do in each subject, grading procedures, etc. Using (the wonderful) VistaPrint I have little magnets and a buisness card that I will be sending home with the students this year as well. I bought folders at walmart that have the two buisness card holders on the pockets that I will use this year to hold the packet and everything else. Otherwise I have a powerpoint that I use to go over our rubrics and other items.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2009

What about families who don't have computer or internet access? Do you have print newsletters available for them?

As far as Meet the Teacher, we have a BBQ the third week of school. Families meet in the school yard for a BBQ (hamburgers, hotdogs, etc), then proceed to the gym for a greeting from the principal. For the next hour, parents can visit the classrooms--teachers do a brief (15-20 minute) presentation, then allow 10 minutes for questions, informal visiting, etc. The entire classroom process is repeated so that parents can visit more than one classroom.

23. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 19, 2009

I'll have the ppt I made this summer running in the background. I'm excited!

24. jenn888

jenn888 Rookie

Jul 19, 2009

We have two sessions that are 30 minutes each. We have to show a Title one power point, then have parents sign that they saw it. I go over rules, policies ect.. than its time for the 2nd group to come in. We don't get any time to do interesting or fun activities.

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2009

I don't look forward to our open house. Last year each teacher spoke to their homeroom for a few minutes before "dimissing" them to meet all the teachers and visit the classrooms, but during that few minutes the parents were FAR worse than ANY class of students I've had regarding listening and talking. So incredibly rude. Sorry...this is supposed to be a postive thread. :)

Treats are always good, and so are VistaPrint goodies ready to hand out! Man, do those cards, magnets, brochures, and such really show that you're put together!

26. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 19, 2009

I'm lucky enough to teach in an upper middle class school so that's not usually a problem. Last year I had one family without internet access at home, but they signed up using their work email. If I ever have that problem, I will print my blog and send it home.