Anything in your room an eyesore?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsBee, Aug 16, 2009.

1. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Aug 16, 2009

I have something and don't know how I will be able to work around it.

A sink! Right in front of the white board. I don't get it.

3. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 16, 2009

ok that is just weird. I have these ugly black drip stains that the maintenance crew left on the wall beneath my white board. I have no idea what it is but nothing, not even magic erasers can get it out. Grrrr So now I have to put paper or something over it.

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2009

My whole room is a dusty eyesore. With a massive broken bookshelf. I hope the old teacher is cleaning some stuff out, but I'm not holding my breath.

My keyboard is really gross--it has 10 years of grime on it by the looks of it. I'm buying a new one.

Actually, I feel a bit humbled that I have a nice big room all to myself. I am a new position hire and they booted out an existing teacher and split her into two rooms in another part of the school so I would have my own room and be near my mentor and the rest of the department. I am thinking that this bodes extremely well for the kind of support that I can expect.

5. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 16, 2009

It's not so bad. The worst thing is the computer that runs on Windows 95 and sounds like a helicopter taking off :lol

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2009

I have ugly antiquated built-in cupboards that you really wouldn't want to put anything in. When you wet them, the wood smells awful!

7. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

My whole room is an eyesore. 2 dusy rose walls and 2 pea soup walls with blue carpet.

8. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Aug 16, 2009

Where to start...

I have a grimy looking white ceiling with big black beams that you can see that makes the room like dark. I wish they would put a drop ceiling in or paint the ceiling. A ceiling fan that was clean when they took it out of the box (probably in the 70's :) ), and a TV that seems large on a shelf (board that is braced but is warped)

To fix the TV problem I put up a curtain on a tension rod that is easy to move out of the way.

9. nothermanda

nothermanda Companion

Aug 16, 2009

Nothing too bad - just the cockroach infestation! I've learned to shake my box of chart paper before pulling out a piece so that I don't get any little friends. Nice, huh? The district sends exterminators every couple of months, but all they seem to do is put gross little traps in the corners.

I already got rid of all my extra furniture, books, and just about anything that could hide the gross little nasties, but they still show up!

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 16, 2009

really old, outdated computers

11. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Aug 16, 2009

This thread is so FUNNY!

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 16, 2009

I knew you'd come in and blurt that out! :rolleyes:

A SINK under the BOARD?!??

I just have some marks on my walls and doors that look gross, but I cover the marks with postcards/wall hangings/etc. and the room looks really nice.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 16, 2009

It's tar.

It dripped behind the tack boards at my school whenever it was hot out

14. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2009

And we have a winner. :D

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

It's actually sad to read about the sorry state of some of our schools. Makes you wonder about the priority we make of educating our children in this country.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2009

Can you cover the sink with a board on top and use it as a 'shelf'? You could put a sink skirt around the bottom and store stuff underneath.

I'd like to make some curtains to cover up some shelving in my room, but truthfully it's not a big issue for me.

17. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 17, 2009

I like my room, but one half of the room has this cedar wood paneling, and instead of painting over it in a decent color, they tried to paint it over so it would look like the cedar. It's baby-poop brown. It is HALF of my room. I hate it!!! I think our new P wants to repaint the rooms, so I am excited about that!!

18. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 17, 2009

I strategically covered all things that grossed me out about my room. All the stains on the wall were covered and made into bulletin boards. I even moved the fire extinguisher to cover old holes. The worst part is my ceiling. :crosseyed Gross!

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 17, 2009

Yep, it had me laughing out loud too!

For me, I have a brand new classroom and for the most part I love it. The cubbies are too small and our bookcases do not hold the size books little kids typically have but I can work around those. The hardest thing to work around is a panel that goes along the perimeter of the entire room (think corkboard around the entire room covered in blue burlap). It's about 3 feet tall. It's not centered and it isn't really at kid friendly height. It's supposed to double as a bulletin board. It's a bit of an eyesore and kind of awkward but I'm not complaining much though because it serves a really good purpose. It is a sound proofing panel to help reduce the noise carryover to other classes.

The sink in front of the whiteboard takes the cake though.

Speaking of the person who has a roach infestation...
    I love telling my first interview 4 years ago (as an aide...now a teacher this year...yay!). We were on a video phone and instead of tuning into a panel that was sitting calmly and professionally, they were standing on chairs, rushing around the room and wavving a shoe. Apparently there was a water bug (otherwise known as a big roach) on the floor and they were trying to kill it. I was laughing before we even started!:haha:

P.S. I would LOVE to see a picture of the room with a sink in front of a whiteboard (even if you have to PM me and send it via email).

20. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Aug 17, 2009

I can't get to my room to take the pic!! But I would love to show you all.

Its a huge sink right in front. Like I will be doing morning messages in front of a faucet.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2009

Well, my heffalump was a bit of an issue, at least to my eyes, last year.

But this year is should be MUCH better!!

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 17, 2009

The local eyesore would be me...

Nothermanda, have you or the district considered geckos? I'm told there was an apartment building in New York with a naaasty roach problem - except in one apartment whose tenants had a pair of geckos. Geckos are nocturnal: these slept under the living room sofa during the day and feasted by night, with the result that the apartment was roachless... till the unhappy day when, without enough warning to the tenants, the building supervisor brought in exterminators who fumigated.

23. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2009

I've been on A to Z a few years and never once have I posted my classroom pics because my building is soooo old! How old is it? IT's so old that the pictures of all the beautiful, spacious classroom being posted here make me ashamed! LOL I love my school and my coworkers but our building is crap. Thank goodness life really is what you make it!

24. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2009

That is sick. And I don't mean cool sick.

25. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2009

My classroom last year was in the old part of the building, and they took down some of the old chalkboards (I had them covering two walls) to put up hooks for the students. Unfortunately, they chose to do this right before parent visits (kind of like "Meet the Teacher" night) and uncovered a wall that was 1/3 peach, 1/3 gold, and 1/3 mint green. Plus, the adhesive stuck to the walls in places, leaving large brown spots of the "wooden" backing of the chalkboard. It was very embarrassing to have parents see that, but luckily it was only temporary.

26. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2009

When I moved into my classroom, I had cabinets that had 6-7 doors and came up to my chest (about 5 ft tall). They went down about 15 ft or so (so enormous). They smelled like death and were rickety. They were put in my room because it used to be a high school and didn't have any storage. We got a grant for new ones and people were surprised I wanted them removed. Really?

The grossest part is that they used to have rats living in them. When they took them out, they found the remnants of a huge nest under them. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

27. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Aug 17, 2009

My room isn't ugly, really, it is just a very awkward layout that makes me want to tear my hair out.

All but one wall is completely unusable. One is the white board, one is covered with wall to ceiling cabinets, and one is the fire escape for my entire hallway, so I can't have anything within 3 ft. of it - and there has to be a clear pathway to that side of the room.

Basically the only way I can set my classroom up is in rows. I hate rows.

What makes it worse is I have 25 desks in my room. And, I am not allowed to move any of them into storage - they have to stay in my room.

And my classes are tiny. My smallest class only has 4 students. Just envisioning my 4 little 6th graders sitting in a sea of 25 desks makes me giggle!

28. mrsc_teaches

mrsc_teaches Companion

Aug 17, 2009

Our building was built in the late 40's early 50's. My P has had people painting for several years now SO our buiding it looking better. The prison jump suit orange that was painted on the walls has now been broken up with murals and paintings of the school mascot.
    My room is "new" portables. The worst things is the water damage on the ceiling, which they painted over but it is still YUCK!!!

29. missk83

missk83 Companion

Aug 17, 2009

Definitely the cockroaches and rust under the door going out to the courtyard :(

30. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 17, 2009

I teach in a guest room, as I only have the one student. We have a giant bed in the middle of the room.... our math project this week is to build a privacy screen to block it out and give us some bulletin board space!