anyone with varicose veins/related trouble?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mkate, Sep 10, 2009.

1. mkate

mkate Comrade

Sep 10, 2009

Okay, I'm not yet 40 but my 3rd pregnancy played havoc with my circulatory system-- it hadn't really bothered me until the heat of this summer, but now I'm having some symptoms of chronic venous insufficiency and got an Rx for compression hose. Ugh! Of course teaching means being on your feet all day-- anyone have any advice/ tricks? Anyone else out there with this problem?

Thanks!

3. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Sep 10, 2009

I'm only 23 and after a year of student teaching and a year of real teaching, I'm developing a nice collection of unsightly veins. :-/

Watching this thread with interest....

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 10, 2009

I have just a few "very gross veins", not any real problems with them except they're a little unsightly. Limit your salt, elevate your feet as often as you can.

5. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 10, 2009

I have those behind one knee. They were never bad - just ugly. But know I will find that standing for extended periods of time will cause pain in that area.

It'll be time to head to a doctor after a while... and I am hearing about medical removal of those veins.... I'm not sure what I'll do. I'm not vain- so the look of them isn't the issue...but now the times of pain are beginning to spur me into action.

I elevate my feet and put a cold compress behind the knee. I DO stand on one of those padded mats while at the grocery store...and I don't seem to mind standing as long. Those mats are available for sale ... perhaps through industrial catalogs. The comfort is such I might consider it if I were a teacher that stood in one place for a while - such as a high school teacher who stood at a lecturn more often.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 10, 2009

Good hose, good shoes and lots of water. Sit whenever possible.

7. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2009

I really consider myself lucky since I'm 40something and just now suffering when my mother had surgery (big ugly scars) in her 20's. Today, I wore my prescription compression hose for the first time. My legs feel much better this afternoon but they were SO uncomfortable (yucky elastic at the thighs) that I don't know if I can do it again. I am scheduled to have a procedure in December if the stockings don't work well enough.

8. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 10, 2009

Whatever you do, NEVER wear knee-high hose if you've got circulatory problems! Worst thing in the world.

I don't have varicose veins, but ten years ago I had a blood clot in my leg. Been on Coumadin ever since.

Pantyhose and regular loose socks are fine, but nothing with a strip of elastic at the top, whether it's knee-high or thigh-high. My doctor told me exactly what could happen if I wore them, and I don't want to go through a surgery like that ever again.

I kept a tall footstool under my desk; keeping my legs raised when I sat helped a lot, and nobody could see my indelicate posture under there!

My doctor also told me to keep moving! Sitting OR standing for long periods of time without moving around will encourage the veins and clots.

9. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2009

I had vein removal surgery when I was 32 and they all came back since. I am 47 now and I've learned to live with my veins by staying healthy and active. I walk several miles each day and limit my calorie intake to 1200 per day. My veins don't hurt like they did when I was younger so if I had to do it all over again, I would not go through the surgery. The scars were awful and they weren't worth the result. It took over 10 years for the scars to fade.

10. mkate

mkate Comrade

Sep 11, 2009

Thanks everyone. I guess I will just have to get used to the hose (though right now it's too hot to wear them) and try to follow the advice. At least I will be walking around the classroom, not just standing in one place all the time...

11. janney

janney Cohort

Sep 11, 2009

Take care of your legs. The women on my mom's side of the family have varicose veins and most of them eventually end up getting leg ulcers The ulcers are painful and they keep coming back. My grandmother has to go to a wound clinic 2 times a week to get them wrapped. So far I don't have any and I have had a job standing and walking for 9 years now so hopefully I'll be lucky.

12. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 12, 2009

I have varicose veins. I have learned to just live with them rather than have surgery. Like another poster, I walk and that has helped me a lot. At school, I have a stool in the front of the room, which has helped me.

13. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Sep 12, 2009

I recently had the laser surgery for varicose veins & cvi on 1 leg. My leg does not hurt at all however there was a good 15 day recovery time. I am going to do the other leg because now I feel it all day long and I'd love relief in both legs. Pregnancy gave me these and I was told not to have any more children due to the poor condition of my veins. I am very happy with the surgery's results. The surgery itself and recovery was no walk in the park. Do it when you have time to sit around for 15 days! Anyway insurance covered it all except office copays and the support hose.