Anyone with stretch marks on here who can shed some light on how to reduce the appare

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2011

Does anyone on here know of how to reduce the appearance of stretch marks? Even though I've always been super skinny, when I was 12, I gained a ton of weight in my lower thigh, butt area. I developed stretch marks along my buttocks area. They have since lightened up, but are still very visible and look pretty bad.

I'm at the age where I am tired of hiding my body when I got swimming or wear shorts.

So, can anyone share what has worked for them? What hasn't? Do I just need to resort to cosmetic surgery, which I'm willing to do if nothing else works?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2011

I don't have any, but how about a consultation with a dermatologist?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2011

Peachy...don't hide your body! No one notices to the extent that you think...we all have bumps, wrinkles, blemishes, dimples...if only we could 'airbrush'!
    If you are really bothered by your marks, do as Alice suggested and consult a dermatologist. Stretch marks can be made less noticeable with laser treatments, dermabrasion and/or prescription products.

5. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 22, 2011

Hello! I like to think of my stretch marks as works of art... :lol::lol:

Many pregnant women gave me tubs of miracle stretch mark cream and I haven't noticed any difference. :)

I think they're hereditary, so if your Momma had them you will too -- but I could also be thinking of varicose veins... :)

For sure see a dermatologist AND do not be shameful of your stretch marks!

6. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jan 23, 2011

Some ladies on the pregnancy message boards had luck with Mederma. I have some leftover from when I had surgery scars and I've been using it on mine but not long enough to see a difference yet so I can't give you my own personal opinion. They did say it works better on new marks than old, though.

7. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 23, 2011

Interestingly enough we got a sample of Mederma stretch mark cream in the mail yesterday!!!!!

It was pomegranate flavor. Yum. In high hopes I slathered all over my tatooed with stretch marks tummy... and waited. And waited.

Nope, still there. Hahaha!

Of course I didn't expect instant results. They don't bother me yet, but I am sure they will after Liam is born? They're certainly there for sure but.... ah, I suppose they're battle scars from pregnancy fun!

Ok, yes, I'm cabin-feverish and stir crazy and DONE WITH BEING ON BEDREST....

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 23, 2011

:) Well, IF these stretchmarks came about from pregnancy, then I would be much more accepting. But, since they came about due to crazy hormonal changes during my horrible awkward preteen years, then.... no, I don't accept them. :rolleyes:

I'll have to look up dermabrasion and see what the success rate is versus the success rate for laser. For some reason dermabrasion sounds less intimidating then laser. And, since I'll be moving to a much nicer, new town, I'm betting that there are pretty good dermatologists there.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 23, 2011

I have one HUGE stretch mark on my stomach from a surgery. I'd been sick and gained 90 pounds in 3 months. I still didn't get stretch marks, which is pretty amazing considering the amount of weight in such a short time. Then I had surgery that required CO to inflate my abdomen . . . and BOOM!! Stretch marks! The little ones faded with Mederma. (I'm very, very pale, which is part of why I don't think mine are all that noticeable.) The big one is so large that it will have to be repaired with surgery. I'm not brave enough to have that done, although it might become necessary at some point.

10. XOEmmyLouOX

XOEmmyLouOX Rookie

Jan 23, 2011

I had the same thing happen. Stretch marks by puberty.. Once stretch marks have faded there isn't much over the counter that works. I never looked into laser.. Good luck. I don't care if people don't like seeing them. My motto is.. If you don't want to see it don't look.. :)