Anyone with great review games?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by irishteach, Aug 17, 2006.

1. irishteach

irishteach Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

As the school year approaches--we are already in but I don't get students until Monday-- I was wondering if anyone has any great review games. I have some review games I like...but I thought this was a good way for us to all start compiling review games for the year.

Thanks!

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2006

Okay, let's see if I can explain this game:

materials needed: questions (from a study guide perhaps), a basket or box, and a small ball

1. divide class into two teams.
    2. one person from first team tosses ball. if it goes into the basket, his own team asks a question. get it right, get two points. if it misses, the other team asks a question. get it right, get two points. get it wrong, the other team provides the correct answer for one point.
    3. continue.

4. irishteach

irishteach Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

thanks my kids love games where they can throw anything! haha

5. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 17, 2006

I just finished student teaching and my master teacher had a great study/review game. He called it "Las Vegas Style Review". You seperate your class into teams (doesn't really matter how many teams or how many people on each team) and each team is virtually given $5.00. You write each team on your chalk/dry erase board with $5.00 under them. Each team has to "bet" a minimum of $.50 or as much as they want before you ask the question. If they get the question right, you add that amount to their total, or subtract if they're wrong. They have to work as a team and the team captain has to place their "bet" or it's not valid.

The students loved it!!! I had a lot of fun, too!

6. facsteach

facsteach Rookie

Aug 19, 2006

Games

My students love this game lets see if I can explain it.

COGS

Students form two circles, next to each other. Then the students have to circle around, they will connect like two gears at some point. This is where you stand, you then randomly stop the cog and ask the two students a review question whoever gets it right gets to take the other person to their side. The goal is to make their circle large and the other small or disappear. Students can sing a song as they circle, until I stop them. They always love seeing who gets paired up and stealing the person for their circle.

I hope I explained this well. They really love this, they ask when they can play again.

7. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Aug 19, 2006

I like to do students vs. teacher. It's just asking questions, but if they get it wrong I get a point. It's good because they aren't pitted against each other, and I finagle it so they usually win, so they feel good about it, but it lets you see who has it and who doesn't. I also give the "phone a friend" option if they are truly stumped.

8. country_teacher

country_teacher New Member

Aug 21, 2006

I have tried a game called "I am, You are" with my Yr 9 Science students to revise terms, definitions and concepts before an assessment. It takes a little bit of work by the teacher but once you have done it once it becomes much easier.

You make up little cards (I just have a pre-formatted word doc with a table on it) and organise your list of terms you want to cover. You really need minimum one card per student so they can all be involved.

The first card reads (for example) "I am: the beginning of the game You are: A hinge joint"
    The second card would then read something like " I am: an elbow You are: the largest artery leaving the heart"
    The third card could then read " I am: the Aorta You are: the tiny air sacs in the lungs"
    And so on and so forth.

Once you have the cards drawn up (I just print out a bunch of blank "I am: You are: " cards and fill them in with relevant terms from the days lesson as I go) you shuffle them up and deal them out to the kids. They have to figure out who starts and stand up and read their card out to the class - then the student who has the matching card goes next. If we come to a standstill I ask if anyone knows what the term or definition we are looking for is and can give us a hint - that way everyone is involved all the time.

I get requests for repeat quizes every time I used this and for an activity that is normally very boring for students (learning definitions), it is a real hit.

9. holliday

holliday Comrade

Aug 22, 2006

Here's a fun one I call Steps to Success:

Have the kids pick a starting point and and ending point in the classroom (maybe start at the door and end at the teacher desk). All the kids stay seated at their desks.
    Anyway, the teacher stands at the starting point and asks the first kid a review question. If the answer is correct, the teacher takes a step toward the ending point and then asks the next kid a question, and so on...
    if the answer is incorrect, the teacher can either stay in place or take a step back (depending on the number of questions you have to work with).
    If the teacher makes it to the end point in the amount of time decided on at the beginning of the game, the class wins. If not, the teacher wins.
    It's a blast and the kids get really into moving the teacher around like a game piece!