Anyone who owns or is the director of a preschool

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by firstwonders, Apr 24, 2007.

1. firstwonders

firstwonders Rookie

Apr 24, 2007

I have a couple of questions! I am trying to establish a budget... I am just not sure how much $ to allow for curriculum...At the most I will have 4 classes with a total of 10 children in each. Could you share with me how your budget breaks down? I am also wondering about how much you spend on advertising and just general supplies.
    Thanks so much!!

3. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Apr 24, 2007

What do you mean by curriculum? Are you trying to purchase a pre-set curriculum like Creative Curriculum? What ages are the children?

Each of my classes gets about $200 a year for petty cash purchases--food for special projects, etc. Large items come out of the beginning-of-the-year purchase budget ($5000). Our biggest expense is payroll (about 80% of the budget) & we don't do advertising (don't need to).

4. firstwonders

firstwonders Rookie

Apr 25, 2007

I may go with a prepackaged but I was also thinking just to have $$ to add to the environment based on the theme. I am the only employee and since I will be brand new I will have to advertise heavy to get my name out there.The ages of the kids enrolled will be 3-5. Do you have the families supply snack and juice?

5. teachingforlife

teachingforlife Rookie

Apr 25, 2007

I don't use a pre-set curriculum for my center, which cuts down on costs. We prefer to use a more "emergent curriculum", where we teach what the children are intersted in. If they are interested in cars and penguins, we may have both themes running at the same time, for as long as they are intersted. We try to add things to our environment, such as cars to the block area, or pictures printed off of the Internet for animals they are interested in. I have found that the pre-set curriculums are more challenging to get and keep the children interested. We typically allow about 2,800 each year towards "environmental improvements" which is taken straight from our enrollment fees, which is a yearly fee. This money allows us to purchase different types of art supplies, new books and special toys that add to our program.

Like MsWk said, about 80% of our budget is towards payroll. We do some advertising, but it's in the form of t-shirts for our kids, flyers at local stores, etc., and a sign out front that we can change the letters on. Hope that helps.

6. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Apr 25, 2007

I'd budget at least $100 a month for "extras" if you are starting out. You'll need less the second year, as you will have some things already.

We supply two snacks (fruit with carb & milk or water) and lunch (protein, veggie, carb, milk). We don't do juice--too much sugar. I'd say it's about $2500 / month. Most full-day programs here provide food.

A sample menu might be:

Morning snack: apple slices, graham crackers & milk
    Lunch: Baked chicken, broccoli, bread, & milk
    Afternoon snack: melon with saltines & water

If you're a half-day program, you could probably ask them to bring snacks, but you'll need to consider allergies.

7. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Apr 25, 2007

Oh, and you could ask each family to supply a materials fee of $100 or so with registration. That should cover extras (special projects / food, etc.) for a year for one child.

8. firstwonders

firstwonders Rookie

Apr 26, 2007

My sessions will be
    m-w-f 9:15-11:45
    m-w-f 12:30-3:00
    t-th 9:15-11:45
    t-th 12:30-3:00

I will not be serving lunch and the children will take turns suppling snack...(standard for the area)

I will also have a 25.00 yearly registratin fee per family (standard around here)

I am tossing around the idea of an all day option on t-th...the kids would supply their own lunch. There isn't another preschool in the area that offers all day...but the kindergartens are all say so I think it would be nice to offer the chance to get use to that schedule.

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 26, 2007

the only obstancle I'm seeing to your schedule... if you do the all-day T/Th, would you also offer the option to do just AM or just PM on those days? If you do that, you have to think about your activities... kids essentially having to do activities twice unless you have a LOT planned. (our JrK program has that issue on days tehp ublic school is off... ther PS kids who attend the 1/2 day program in the afternoon also come to their class in the morning if they're off of school... so those kids are essetially doing the curriculum twoce... that or som kids will miss it completely!) Would you offer a nap to full-day kids? Around here we HAVE to, but I'm sure MN is different.

10. firstwonders

firstwonders Rookie

Apr 26, 2007

I will not offer a nap...in between the two sessions they will be eating lunch. I am planning on offering half days on t-th too...I coem from a daycare backround so coming up with two activities on those days won't be hard. The all day kids will have to sit through group time twice but I don't think that will be a big deal. I am hoping that I fill up with all day kids on those days.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 26, 2007

I started out the same way--all with an empty room and only my own child. Here are my tips
    1. Don't worry too much about rates, you need to get started and get children enrolled. So, for this purpose, you need to be just at the bottom of the market rates.
    2. Spend some time at second hand stores for equipment and supplies. I drove an hour each week end for a couple months to search the big city Goodwills for items. I found almost everything from books to bikes, curriculum to crafts.
    3. Hook up with the professionals in your area. My daughters Kindergarten teacher connected me with many clients.
    4. Consider offering only 1 session for a while, that way you will be teaching to a full house, not just a few children each session.