Anyone who has transfered from elementary to middle school?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by mrs.oz, Apr 28, 2007.

1. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Apr 28, 2007

I recently went to interview for a Language Arts job in the middle school (8th grade). I have taught Pre-K, 1st Grade, and was an aide in 3rd and then Kindergarten for 12 years. I have recently been told that I am crazy for wanting to teach middle school. I would like to hear about your experiences or your feelings about where you are today. Am I crazy?????? I feel I am doing what is best for me but..... It is scary though thinking I could be making a big mistake.

3. jeepfan531

jeepfan531 Rookie

Apr 28, 2007

Moving To Middle School

It is a funny thing about Middle School. Elementary teachers can't figure out how you deal with those "big kids" and the high school teachers can't figure out how you deal with those "little kids" :) I taught 5 years in elementary (6th grade one year, 4th grade four years) and really enjoyed it. I moved simply because I moved to a new school. I went from teaching 4th grade to 8th grade earth science, algebra 1, etc. I settled in to mostly 7th grade for a while and for the last 7 or 8 years, I have taught Bible exclusively to 7th, 8th, and 9th grade. I have taught in my current school for 14 years and love it. As I stated, when I was hired, I taught whatever needed teaching. Ohio certified teachers back then grades 1-8 all subjects...so, I have taught all subjects in my time.

It is a big change but I really enjoy it.

4. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Apr 28, 2007

Yeah I hear it all the time. "I don't know how you deal with 18 4 year olds all day." Then when I want to transfer people say "Are you crazy. Those kids are horrible, especially 8th."

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2007

This year I bumped down to middle school. I had always taught HS before, usually Seniors.

They're a total delight! I must admit I hate the material-- Precalc is so much more interesting to me than the area and volume problems we're working on in the 7th grade.

But the enthusiasm of the kids is a riot!

I say give it a shot. If you hate it, next year you can quit and go back to the younger kids. But at least you'll know.

6. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Apr 29, 2007

haha i'm doing the opposite. i'm leaving 8th grade and going to elementary school. Eighth graders are a blast, but you have to be very strict and strong willed. No you are not crazy. But you might be after teaching them for a few years. ;)

7. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Apr 29, 2007

Honestly, think of middle schoolers as big kindergartners, but with a lot more attitude. They still get enthusiastic and they still have that desire to learn if you are able to grab their attention. You have to be strict strict strict! Once they trust you though, they are great. I never thought I would be teaching middle school, but right now I couldn't imagine doing anything else.

8. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Apr 29, 2007

I am a very structured elementary teacher. But what I found when subbing the upper grades (12 years ago) was that this age feeds on sarcasm. Am I right? I mean there is a way to be strict without being bossy. I feel that if you set the rules the first day and model the procedures you will have less of a problem. Modeling respect I think is the key. Please someone tell me if I am wrong. Thanks for all the posts and tips! Keep them coming.

9. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Apr 30, 2007

What do mean by "feeds on" sarcasm? I'm curious.
    I went from 5th to 7th,8th,10th, and 12th, and it's been a good but tough change. It's a little more work because middle schoolers don't automatically adore you just for being their teacher like many elementary students do :). It's been fun to interact on a higher intellectual level and get them thinking about deeper questions-- and they get my jokes better than fifth graders! I am still working on the exact style of "strictness" that's needed for the different age levels and will be watching for responses. You have to be a little crazy!

10. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Apr 30, 2007

What I mean by "feeds on sarcasm" is that the more you say the more they come back with. More or less just showing respect I think will get you respect. I know how I felt when a teacher was sarcastic or a know it all to me. It embarrassed me and I did not have any respect for that teacher. The only thing was I was not one of those students who acted out or talked back. I would just go home and cry because of it.
    I just read 7 Simple Secrets. It is a great book. I am working on reading Ron Clarks Excellent 11. I read his Essential 55 last summer. If you haven't read these you should.

11. teacherwannaB

teacherwannaB Companion

May 2, 2007

Mrs. Oz~
    I think its great that you want to teach middle schoolers. Those kids in the middle seem to get left out sometimes- and young adolescence is such a tender time. It was tough for me when I went through it, and I grew up in such a different time and place than kids now a days. Looking back on my school days- my sixth grade teacher had more of an impact on me than all the others combined.

Good Luck!

12. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

May 2, 2007

Thanks teacherwannaB. I will let you know if I get it.

13. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 2, 2007

I student taught primary, and now work with 8th graders. They can be a bit of a challenge, but they have many of the same needs as younger children. One thing I didn't picture is that it's somewhat repetitive throughout the day because you'll probably be teaching the same content multiple times. I start to bore myself by the end of the day! :) This could be a good thing or a bad thing - much less prep, but more grading and repetition.

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 2, 2007

I did the opposite and went from middle school to upper elementary school. I really miss middle school--I would go back in a heartbeat if there were any openings in my district. The students are more mature and so much more unique. They really start developing into young adults at that age and it's so nice to see them grow!

15. science

science New Member

May 2, 2007

Glad to find a thread on this, because I'm in the same boat. I'm currently teaching third grade, but also certified in science. In the district I'd really like to work in, there's a position open for sixth grade biology.

Like mrs. oz, would you recommend moving to the 6th grade position just to get into the district?

16. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 2, 2007

At least out here, it's a million times easier to get a junior high job in math or science or SPED than an elementary position. You could then try to transfer to another position after a year.

17. teacherwannaB

teacherwannaB Companion

May 3, 2007

Snickydog- where in Illinois are you? I was curious about the job market there.

18. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 3, 2007

Chicago suburbs.... The middle school and high school markets tend to be great. Elementary positions are tough to find. :( Math and science are needed EVERYWHERE.... I had about 10 interviews for math/sci this past summer!

19. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

May 11, 2007

I did not get the transfer. OH well! I will try again for something else that comes open.