Anyone who has Math credential started with nontransferable Math courses from JC/CC?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by eng123, Jul 12, 2016.

1. eng123

eng123 Rookie

Jul 12, 2016

anyone here or do you know anyone who has started lower division nontransferable Math courses ( eg. Prealgebra, Intermediate Algebra) and completed all the way to the Math credential( or received Math degree this way)?

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2016

Are you asking: has anyone I know gone to a community college, majored in math, and then made it out with a BA in math education? If so, the answer is yes. If you're asking, "did they only hold an associates and become a teacher?" Then, no. But I know a girl who started at a cc and then transferred to our college's BA/MA Math Ed program so simultaneously completed undergrad and grad work and graduated with dual degrees in Math Ed at the end. A lot of people don't simply start at point A and then go to B, some of us meander but find our way. I started in education, and then left, and then went back in. There are many paths.
    :)

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2016

Are you asking: has anyone I know gone to a community college, majored in math, and then made it out with a BA in math education? If so, the answer is yes. If you're asking, "did they only hold an associates and become a teacher?" Then, no. But I know a girl who started at a cc and then transferred to our college's BA/MA Math Ed program so simultaneously completed undergrad and grad work and graduated with dual degrees in Math Ed at the end. A lot of people don't simply start at point A and then go to B, some of us meander but find our way. I started in education, and then left, and then went back in. There are many paths.
    :)

5. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 12, 2016

I think the question is: Do you know someone who started at a JC/CC, and was there placed into non-college level math to start, and they ended up majoring in math/math education once they transferred to a four year college.

I know of one math teacher who started at a CC, but I doubt started with nontransferable math classes. I know another math teacher who did not realize their strengths in math until college, but don't know what math class they had to start with in college. We all have our unique path to where we end up. If you want to be a math teacher, you can make it happen, focus on one step at a time.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2016

I think, by the very definition of being a teacher, we would all say that even though you start with "catch up" courses, the opportunity to soar once the basics are mastered is inherent. For some people, they were not motivated or engaged enough while in high school to master the concepts, but with a little maturity and new motivation, the desire to be more, do more is fanned into a flame that leads to those adventures in college learning. Learn the concepts, and then build on them. You have simply shifted your starting point in your education, not doomed it for all eternity. Of all content areas, math is built, concretely, on learning concepts that allow you to move to the next level. The only thing that will defeat you is giving up before you get started.

I am an ESL teacher and science teacher. Many times ESL students need to catch up before they can take courses that "count", but in reality, it is success in those first nontransferable courses that makes later success possible. For whatever reason, you obviously struggled in high school, but you are now looking at the big picture, motivated, and making long range plans. Do NOT be discouraged by these nontransferable courses. Embrace them, master the content, and move on to bigger and better goals. It isn't where we start, but where we end up that matters. I believe that we treasure most those accomplishments which started as the greatest challenges. BE a lifelong learner, and know that there is not an expiration date on learning.

I am sure that the answer to your questions would be that you would be far from the first to overcome hardships in the pursuit of success, whether in life or at the college level. Persevere, be diligent, and never, ever, give up. Your future is in your hands - only you can decide whether or not you want to put in the work that will allow you to follow this dream..

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  7. MathLadyC

MathLadyC Rookie

Jul 25, 2016

I know this thread is a little old but if you are looking for an answer to is it possible? I would say it is! I started at a 4 year university but in lower level math that didn't count toward my math degree. I even had professors who told me I should change my major. I graduated with a math degree. It's definitely something you can achieve!